talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are people more opinionated than before?

football forums

On 20/09/2024 at 16:42, Gunnersaurus said:

Do you think people on a whole are more opinionated now. I'm not one of those back in the good old days kind of people but one thing I would say may be worse now is people are more unaccepting of other peoples opinions. I think a lot of it may be social media. I haven't used social media for years. One thing I noticed when a stopped is how much less I cared what other people thought.  Social media is full of people who are so argumentative and it turns people who aren't argumentative into argumentative people I think. 

Obviously there are cases where something is an objective fact and there are certain moral things that I personally think people should defend. What I mean is I don't think people should just tolerate people with racist views for example. I think it's OK not to just except people have a different view in cases like that. 

However a lot of the time people seem to be more self opinionated on things that don't matter. Like what good films or TV shows are etc.

What do you think? Have people always been like that or are we getting worse? 

8 hours ago, nudge said:

Too many...

lTjM75v.png

n1uTO3w.png

LyrIG7N.png

Some of those are more than just social networking platforms, but still, they all provide a place for people to spout their bullshit...

Spouting their bullshit indeed. Social media has undeniably given people the platform to express thoughts they would never dare to voice in public or in face to face interactions. The anonymity it offers seems to have brought out the worst in many. Additionally, I concur with @Gunnersaurus that social media can transform typically non-confrontational individuals into more argumentative personalities. Often, they get entangled in disputes or take offense at an insult or inappropriate comment, leading to further arguments.

Social media can undoubtedly foster a toxic environment, depending on the individuals present on a particular platform or group. The list of social media websites that @nudge posted, just demonstrates how many online platforms there are that allow people to say some of the most controversial things that they want to say.

Moreover, the actual algorithms that drive social media platforms regularly prioritize sensational and controversial content, which can exacerbate these issues. This can allow for echo chambers where extreme views are amplified, while the moderate voices are drowned out. In addition, the lack of accountability and the ease of spreading misinformation further contributes to the toxicity. I've been on some of these platforms in the past and tried to reason with people about some of their extreme views, but they just don't want to know, instead they continue to feed the echo chamber.

Social media has also created spaces, where certain people can manipulate others in a way which was much harder to do before social media came about. The echo chambers that spout BS are the worst, because they just reinforce the same BS opinions/beliefs through repetition. It makes those in the echo chamber more confident and emboldened about these beliefs, even if these beliefs are completely inaccurate. One of the worst things that can result from an echo chamber, is when the misinformation translates to the real world and people act on these ill informed beliefs. This can ultimately quite often lead to tragic outcomes.

Edited by Michael

21 hours ago, Stan said:

a) 'self-opinionated'? What's this mean? Isn't this the same for everyone's opinion :what:

b) as for not mattering, maybe it does when it comes to debating certain shows, or how they're made, or the cast, or production and cinematography etc

Gonna go with what @Azeem and @nudge have stated - everyone's always had an opinion, there are just more ways of airing it these days. Whether that's for better or worse is another debate...

Self opinionated is more about being certain you are right. And not considering you are wrong. You can have an opinion on something but admit you may he wrong or that you don't have all the facts 

41 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Self opinionated is more about being certain you are right. And not considering you are wrong. You can have an opinion on something but admit you may he wrong or that you don't have all the facts 

Good post 👍

• 2 weeks later...