Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Southgate Considering Penalty Shootout In A Friendly


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

Southgate knows about the horrors more than most, with his kick being the one that saw England exit Euro 96 at the semi-final stage.

And, as the manager prepares his side for the World Cup in Russia, he may look to bring in dress rehearsals ahead of the main event.

"It's something that we are considering and how we prepare best for penalty shoot-outs," he said.

"Whether that's something on the training ground, whether that's in sessions we do away from the training ground or something we do in some sort of match scenario, we've not finalised things like that yet. But clearly that is an option."

 

https://talksport.com/football/gareth-southgate-reveals-england-could-stage-mock-penalty-shoot-outs-ahead-2018-world-cup#jBWpRVDOfEbgek7t.99

 

xD cringe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.

I don't know if you can ever prepare for penalties really. Personally, I get fed up hearing all this palava about England and taking penalties before each tournament. It's not bad luck, it happens too often to be bad luck.

We're shit because we as a nation build up the issue too much psychologically. The media have prayed on this ever since Euro '96 because it happened so soon after World Cup '90 and coincidently against Germany. Since then, we've lost in WC'98, Euro 2004, WC '06 and Euro 2012.

Our main problem has nothing to do with penalties, the fact is we just cannot hold on to a bloody lead. When we do have an advantage, we make it look like an Elephant's trunk clinging on to a daisy on the side of a mountain.

Took the lead against Germany in '96, Argentina in '98, Portugal in '04 where we lost games on penalties. But we also took the lead in games against Brazil in the WC'02 quarters, at Euro 2002 twice against Portugal and Romania, two games we ended up losing and crashing out the group, not to mention France at Euro 2004, leaking two goals in injury time to go from victory to defeat. And then, there's Iceland as recent as Euro 2016...

The nuts and bolts of it is we are unable/unwilling to stop the ball and retain possession long enough to prevail. We crumble at any sign of pressure. The opposition only need to fart near our goalmouth and we collapse like a pack of cards. There just isn't enough mental strength in our philosophy which only ends up creating more pressure onto ourselves. The minute it get's to penalties, psychologically we expect defeat. We don't envisage winning.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

I don't know why this wasn't done sooner to be honest, what's the problem with it?

Why would taking a penalty in a friendly be anything like the real thing? Why would it be relevant to this generation? Why create a self fulfilling prophecy around penalties by reinforcing the laughable idea that the next generation might miss simply because they were born somewhere between the Tweed and the Channel?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They need to have more of a pressure based scenario, who is going to care if they miss after a friendly, there must be more involved to make it a pressure situation, like if they miss they will get Sexually harassed by Kevin Spacey or John Terry is allowed to have a go on their wife. 

Edited by VanPaddy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Why would taking a penalty in a friendly be anything like the real thing? Why would it be relevant to this generation? Why create a self fulfilling prophecy around penalties by reinforcing the laughable idea that the next generation might miss simply because they were born somewhere between the Tweed and the Channel?

 

That's the problem. You don't wanna get the idea in their head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

I don't know if you can ever prepare for penalties really. Personally, I get fed up hearing all this palava about England and taking penalties before each tournament. It's not bad luck, it happens too often to be bad luck.

We're shit because we as a nation build up the issue too much psychologically. The media have prayed on this ever since Euro '96 because it happened so soon after World Cup '90 and coincidently against Germany. Since then, we've lost in WC'98, Euro 2004, WC '06 and Euro 2012.

Our main problem has nothing to do with penalties, the fact is we just cannot hold on to a bloody lead. When we do have an advantage, we make it look like an Elephant's trunk clinging on to a daisy on the side of a mountain.

Took the lead against Germany in '96, Argentina in '98, Portugal in '04 where we lost games on penalties. But we also took the lead in games against Brazil in the WC'02 quarters, at Euro 2002 twice against Portugal and Romania, two games we ended up losing and crashing out the group, not to mention France at Euro 2004, leaking two goals in injury time to go from victory to defeat. And then, there's Iceland as recent as Euro 2016...

The nuts and bolts of it is we are unable/unwilling to stop the ball and retain possession long enough to prevail. We crumble at any sign of pressure. The opposition only need to fart near our goalmouth and we collapse like a pack of cards. There just isn't enough mental strength in our philosophy which only ends up creating more pressure onto ourselves. The minute it get's to penalties, psychologically we expect defeat. We don't envisage winning.

Agree with this.

First off, how do you prepare for penalties when a lot of what makes penalties hard is the pressure that's on them at the moment they take the penalty. And I absolutely agree with the idea that building up the issue compounds the psychological problem with for the players.

And the fact England continually crumbles at any sign of pressure is something that would probably address the penalty problem too. If they didn't play like such a bunch of gutless bottlers, they probably wouldn't bottle it when they're in an actual penalty shootout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Agree with this.

First off, how do you prepare for penalties when a lot of what makes penalties hard is the pressure that's on them at the moment they take the penalty. And I absolutely agree with the idea that building up the issue compounds the psychological problem with for the players.

And the fact England continually crumbles at any sign of pressure is something that would probably address the penalty problem too. If they didn't play like such a bunch of gutless bottlers, they probably wouldn't bottle it when they're in an actual penalty shootout.

I think gutless botlers is a bit harsh I don't think a lot of people would handle the pressure well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think you can prepare for them other than technically. I think it's a mentality thing which you've either got or you haven't.

Doing it in a friendly would be embarrassing. You aren't creating anything like the tension of the real thing and... what if we lost? What good is that going to do?

We need to stop making it into such a big issue to be honest. Our record in them is appalling but we can't keep focusing on it. Cross the bridge when it comes to it. What message does practicing penalties give out? A message that we're already fearing the worst, already focusing on how we'll react if we don't win. It's absolute negativity.

Edited by Dan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Danny said:

Could it just be we're losing on penalties to countries who are better than us?

 

True. But it's unnecessary. You don't win shootouts by being better at football, you win by having more good penalty takers. There is no reason for England of all teams to not be able to stick it to the best nations in the world at penalties.

 

Some of the best penalty converters ever have played for big English clubs. Balotelli, Drogba and Ibra most recently, but Frank Lampard could also teach the team a lot. Even if his method was so painfully obvious I don't know why it isn't taught as a baseline method for all players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Sign up to remove this ad.


×
×
  • Create New...