• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lanzini's goal was so good. And we immediately get another after, I actually feel a bit bad for Hart. Not too bad because our defense is shit too.

Feel for Hart too. No doubt he'll get the blame despite getting absolutely no support in front of him. 

• Administrator

McManaman should never be allowed to commentate, regardless of Liverpool games or not. Totally unbearable. Bad enough as it is but the bias shown is terrible. Not exactly much good to say about West Ham but he takes the piss. 

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

McManaman should never be allowed to commentate, regardless of Liverpool games or not. Totally unbearable. Bad enough as it is but the bias shown is terrible. Not exactly much good to say about West Ham but he takes the piss. 

There's a real culture I've noticed in the media a lot more this season than others about focusing on negatives rather than positives. A prime example being that instead of focusing on Man City potentially being the best team in Europe and Tottenham Hotspur comfortably beating Real Madrid, all Talksport spoke about the following day was David Unsworths weight.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

There's a real culture I've noticed in the media a lot more this season than others about focusing on negatives rather than positives. A prime example being that instead of focusing on Man City potentially being the best team in Europe and Tottenham Hotspur comfortably beating Real Madrid, all Talksport spoke about the following day was David Unsworths weight.

I do agree with that massively and thought the exact same when listening to it. It was quite cringeworthy to be honest. Two sides have pulled off genuinely brilliant results but as usual we have to go and make it into a soap opera. I think that's entirely the culture in England now and it's a shame.

Just now, Any O'Brien said:

Hope the ref from our game today and his useless assistants are involved in fatal house fires tonight. Fucking useless cunts.

That all seems a bit extreme just because you lost a game mate... If all the refs and assistants died in house fires every time Newcastle lost there would not be any left to ref all the other matches... xD

21 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Personally think it's always been there. Our media are ultra critical when the opportunity to be so arises. England National Team (rightly so on many occasions but sometimes unjustified), Champions League performances over the past three/four years, the lack of quality the Premier League has compared to say La Liga etc.

I don't think I can recall too many occasions things to do with English football have been hailed. But you're right, they should be.

It does come across like we are naturally a nation of glass half empty people.

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

That all seems a bit extreme just because you lost a game mate... If all the refs and assistants died in house fires every time Newcastle lost there would not be any left to ref all the other matches... xD

Wouldn't be a bad thing mate. Absolute cunts to a man.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Personally think it's always been there. Our media are ultra critical when the opportunity to be so arises. England National Team (rightly so on many occasions but sometimes unjustified), Champions League performances over the past three/four years, the lack of quality the Premier League has compared to say La Liga etc.

I don't think I can recall too many occasions things to do with English football have been hailed. But you're right, they should be.

It does come across like we are naturally a nation of glass half empty people.

It's definitely always been around, but I think you see it much more these days as people on social media act like a bunch of year 8s who've just heard a 'your mum' joke every time a pundit slates a team, manager, etc.

Scholes and Roy Keane are the worst for it, but McManaman's not far behind and even Carragher can get carried away sometimes. Keane's the perfect example actually; he made some comments about us in the week which were by no means insightful or original, but were met with rapturous applause on social media: 

"It's hard to figure out Liverpool at the moment, I think it's difficult to get excited about them and to me, they're going nowhere fast.

"Come the end of the season, when the prizes are being given out, Liverpool will be nowhere near them.

"They're poor at the back, there's question marks over the goalkeeper - there's not too much to say about Liverpool.

"If Liverpool were playing in my backgarden I wouldn't watch them. They're just drifting, drifting nowhere"

British punditry in general is obsessed with individual errors, focusing on a few players when they talk about "the defense", and other reductive ways of assessing football teams. 

It's only symptomatic of the severe backwardness of British football understanding, like the absolute dearth of quality coaches or intelligent players. 

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

It’s been said a million times but it needs to be said a million more, West Ham’s stadium is fucking dreadful.

I remember their fans excited about it as well. If we left our traditional home for that fucking heap of absolute shite I would never go back. 

Teams outgrow stadiums I get that, but fucking hell it is like scaffolding. 

4 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

I remember their fans excited about it as well. If we left our traditional home for that fucking heap of absolute shite I would never go back. 

Teams outgrow stadiums I get that, but fucking hell it is like scaffolding. 

Same mate, Upton Park was class as well.

17 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Same mate, Upton Park was class as well.

Loved it. 4 visits there and never seen us lose. 

Was old school and an intimidating place to go as an away fan. Our mini bus came under attack after we beat them 1-2 a few years ago.

Proper football, fuck your flasks and picnic rugs.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

It's definitely always been around, but I think you see it much more these days as people on social media act like a bunch of year 8s who've just heard a 'your mum' joke every time a pundit slates a team, manager, etc.

Scholes and Roy Keane are the worst for it, but McManaman's not far behind and even Carragher can get carried away sometimes. Keane's the perfect example actually; he made some comments about us in the week which were by no means insightful or original, but were met with rapturous applause on social media: 

"It's hard to figure out Liverpool at the moment, I think it's difficult to get excited about them and to me, they're going nowhere fast.

"Come the end of the season, when the prizes are being given out, Liverpool will be nowhere near them.

"They're poor at the back, there's question marks over the goalkeeper - there's not too much to say about Liverpool.

"If Liverpool were playing in my backgarden I wouldn't watch them. They're just drifting, drifting nowhere"

Keane I think can be one of those who are refreshingly honest, but at the same time he goes a bit too far. I remember him criticising us last season for celebrating beating Copenhagen. What exactly are they meant to do? It wasn't even anything excessive it was just a standard reaction to a win. He tries too hard at times.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Pundits have always concentrated on the negatives and been over critical for me

Keane is disappointing, because the old fashioned way of looking at things obscures the fact that he was actually a very good footballer, with it's insane focus on "character" and how he gave some angry glares at Patrick Vieira. As though being a tough guy and not liking losing is enough on it's own to power a treble-winning midfield.

And yet he falls into the same traps when it comes to how he looks at everything else. He seems happy to play along with that whole ridiculous kind of thinking.

Everything's about mentality and attitude, and appreciating football as being, you know, people moving the ball about, and trying to score goals, is a distant second.

Edit: not saying attitude isn't a factor, it's just that 95% of the time people bring it up as a way of criticising something they know they don't like, but can't actually articulate the real cause of their dissatisfaction over. 

Archived