• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Wesley Sneijder Retires from International Football

Recommended Posts

Quote

Wesley Sneijder has announced his retirement from international football following a visit from new Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman.

The former Everton and Southampton boss travelled to Qatar to visit Sneijder, who now plays club football for Al Gharafa, to discuss his international future.

Following their discussions, Sneijder said: "When I left, I knew, of course, the influence that this move to Qatar could have on my career as an international.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great servant to Dutch football and part of the 'golden generation' which really and truly should have had a major title to their name. I have a lot of respect for him as a player because he always seemed a brilliant professional.

He will be missed by them but it is a new era for them now and Koeman has a big job to do in making them a force again by bringing through the next Wesley Sneijder's of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved his goal against France in Euro 08 was a pleasure to watch over the years. Bedankt Wes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great player, He was very technically gifted and scored some absolute screamers during his career. I remember growing up when players like Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Robben, Van Persie were coming through for holland. What a fantastic set of attacking talent they had during that period, and of course the unsung hero Dirk Kuyt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a shame he wasted so much of his career in Turkey and now Qatar.

 

On 3/5/2018 at 12:57, Cicero said:

Should of won the Balon for 2010. 

Diego Milito.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Such a shame he wasted so much of his career in Turkey and now Qatar.

 

Diego Milito.

I'd agree should he of actually contributed during the world cup 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'd agree should he of actually contributed during the world cup 

Do you remember that WC for Argentina? xD Let me check for you, Maradona selected: Martin Palermo, JS Veron, Javier Pastore (0 caps), Jonas Gutierrez, Clemente Rodriguez, Ariel Garce, Mario Bolatti, Angel di Maria (7 caps) and Nicolas Otamendi. A blind idiot could have lead Argentina to the World Cup, hell even @Berserker could have and that is saying a lot. Geez, he even left out Esteban Cambiasso, Javier Zanetti, Lucho Gonzalez, Pablo Aimar, Sergio Aguero, and even Gago would have been a decent selection.

 

Aimar - Milito - Messi
Camibasso - Lucho
Mascherano
Heinze - Samuel - Burdisso - Zanetti
Any Idiot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Palermo was class. Shame about his injury. 

And Mario Kempes was class as well, doesn't mean either should have been at the 2010WC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Do you remember that WC for Argentina? xD Let me check for you, Maradona selected: Martin Palermo, JS Veron, Javier Pastore (0 caps), Jonas Gutierrez, Clemente Rodriguez, Ariel Garce, Mario Bolatti, Angel di Maria (7 caps) and Nicolas Otamendi. A blind idiot could have lead Argentina to the World Cup, hell even @Berserker could have and that is saying a lot. Geez, he even left out Esteban Cambiasso, Javier Zanetti, Lucho Gonzalez, Pablo Aimar, Sergio Aguero, and even Gago would have been a decent selection.

 

Aimar - Milito - Messi
Camibasso - Lucho
Mascherano
Heinze - Samuel - Burdisso - Zanetti
Any Idiot

Fuck off you fucking mong. :D

Also Milito was another one who didn't deliver with the NT. Higuain was better than him and was the starter, he also had a great WC scoring 4 goals (only 1 behind the top scorers having played much less matches). I do agree with the ones he didn't take, and i'd also add D'alessandro, with him Aimar we had two of the best playmakers in the world, and we wasted them. And Ariel Garce was a pisstake, it's like England taking Wane Shaw.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Fuck off you fucking mong. :D

Also Milito was another one who didn't deliver with the NT. Higuain was better than him and was the starter, he also had a great WC scoring 4 goals (only 1 behind the top scorers having played much less matches). I do agree with the ones he didn't take, and i'd also add D'alessandro, with him Aimar we had two of the best playmakers in the world, and we wasted them. And Ariel Garce was a pisstake, it's like England taking Wane Shaw.

 

At the time we wouldn't have known that Milito would under perform and Higuian would play well. Only that half the team Maradona chose was past their use by dates or were never great to start with. I will never understand the rationale of not taking Zanetti and Cambiasso at least. I don't have any feelings about Argentina either way but this is always something that makes me mad thinking about.

Think about this; Sergio Romero nearly has twice the amount of caps as Cambiasso. That GK has played more for his country in five years than club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riquelme too could of done a lot more than Pastore or DiMaria. 

Maradona's personal vendettas and favortism cost Argentina that world cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sneijder was always so bitter on how he left Real Madrid, he really wanted to stay there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2018 at 11:20, DeadLinesman said:

Tipped to join United every single season.

Probably still better than Pogba..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement