Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Jonjo Shelvey - England's Best Passer?

Seen a couple of pundits mention this during the week and to be honest I'm struggling to think of anybody better. Jack Wilshere maybe?

he may be that, but I don't think he should be in the World Cup squad (I know that's not what you've asked but we're in this section).

There's other aspects of his game which aren't up to scratch. And his fitness is questionable. 

Sure is a sad time in England if that's your best passer....

In terms of range of passing probably yes, but tbh that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth shoehorning him in over a more rounded player like Chamberlain, Wilshere or Henderson.

3 hours ago, Inverted said:

In terms of range of passing probably yes, but tbh that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth shoehorning him in over a more rounded player like Chamberlain, Wilshere or Henderson.

Yeah that's how I feel also.

What Tony Cottee was saying is that England need midfielders like Wilshere and Shelvey who can open the game up and not a midfield of workmanlike players when playing the likes of Tunisia. Which was probably a dig at Henderson, Dier and Livermore.

Shame Winks got injured when he did, because he was almost nailed on for the squad if he'd remained playing for us, and he's exactly the sort of player we need