talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger to Step Down at End of the Season

football forum

37 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Yes but Liverpool have won a european trophy!  Wenger has won fuck all in Europe!  and are not going to as Wenger cannot win a 2 legged cup competition.  Also if Liverpool moved to a new stadium, prices were doubled and paying more than any other fan in the country but you were told once the stadium is paid, we will be up competing with the elite of Europe, there will be uproar if you are still getting hammered by the big teams but the club is generating millions. 

Liverpool won it 12 years ago...Arsenal also reached a final, not an achievement granted but still a show that they've come as close.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Danny said:

Liverpool won it 12 years ago...Arsenal also reached a final, not an achievement granted but still a show that they've come as close.

Doesn't matter it goes down in history, Wenger has been in the Champions League 20 years and only got near winning it once.   Its poor that he has never ever won a European trophy so he will never go down as a great. 

50 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You Arsenal fans make me laugh. You constantly moan about not winning the league/champions league yet lord Spurs about how great they are and how well run they are:

"Look at Spurs WAAAAAAAAA"

"Why aren't we competing like Spurs WAAAAA" 

"They are sooo well run WAAAAAAAAAA"

Just take a step back and look at the last time Spurs won anything! Fuck me, Liverpool spend loads and what have we won in the last 10 years? I'd snap your arm off for 3 FA Cups in 4 seasons!

Truth is Arsenal are round about where they should be. The big hitters in this league are United, City & Chelsea (the biggest spenders and the league winners 99% of the time) and the rest of us are just trying to stay competitive. 

All this crying is just false hope because the way Arsenal are run from upstairs means that whoever is the manager, they will still face the same problems. 

Wenger has Arsenal finishing where they should be finishing year in, year out. Winning the league would just be Arsenal punching above their weight or the 3 moneybags underachieving. 

Just be happy the FA Cups keep rolling in you ungrateful whoppers. 

You won the Champions League in recent history mate!  That's the BIGGEST trophy in club football of them all and it's what players abroad dream of winning and the reason the owner of Manchester City isn't satisfied with winning the Premier League because on a comparison stakes it doesn't even come close.  The Champions League is the pantheon of which makes an elite club!  You may not be winning tournaments because you spend stupidly (almost as bad if not worse than Arsenal...  Liverpool are a money sieve), but you are an elite club with pedigree.

As for the comparisons with Spurs...  I don't enter that at all because it's embarrassing.  We're on a whole different scale to them and have been throughout history.  What I will say about Spurs is that they've been intelligent since about 10 years ago when they changed the structure of the club at board level (the sporting side) by creating a technical team (Baldini as head I think).  That's the way clubs around Europe (the ones that matter) have been working for almost 20 years.  On that they've been very intelligent and on that detail is why they are starting to prosper because the coaches the bring in from abroad (like Pochettino) are used to working in that manner and they can then offer the best of themselves.  That's the only area Spurs get any ounce of envy from me and nothing more... So they finished above us this season?  Wooooooooow!  Ooooooooh! aaaaaaaah! Who cares!  I'm not one of those stupid imbeciles (Arsenal fans) that have gone around with that shit "Mind The Gap" and all that.  That ain't banter...  That's embarrassing!  They mean nothing to me aside from observing what they're creating with curiousity.

We are the 6th richest football club in the world and our "owner" rakes in the cash from dividends without having ever put in a cent of his own cash.  Aside from me crying about that fact, the issue is we earn amongst the elite and yet we are nowhere near being an elite football club.  Those are facts, those are the things only a fan of that club can comprehend.  You're just a third party looking in mate.

As for the FA Cup...  Yeah, it's nice winning it, but pleeeease hahahahaha.  Nah! I ain't having that on all levels because I'm too intelligent for that.

4 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Doesn't matter it goes down in history, Wenger has been in the Champions League 20 years and only got near winning it once.   Its poor that he has never ever won a European trophy so he will never go down as a great. 

Arsenal have never been in that bracket of a club, so judging him by non-existent standards seems strange.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Arsenal have never been in that bracket of a club, so judging him by non-existent standards seems strange.

Yeah but we're talking about Wenger's validity for the role here mate.  Arsenal earn like an elite club and yet employ a manager that has no pedigree in European competition and pay him as the third highest of all managers in the world.  Does that make sense to you?  The third highest paid manager in the world managing the 6th richest club in the world goes and monopolises the FA Cup. xD

The only club I laugh at more than mine is PSG, because imagine that with everything that's being argued.

52 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah but we're talking about Wenger's validity for the role here mate.  Arsenal earn like an elite club and yet employ a manager that has no pedigree in European competition and pay him as the third highest of all managers in the world.  Does that make sense to you?  The third highest paid manager in the world managing the 6th richest club in the world goes and monopolises the FA Cup. xD

The only club I laugh at more than mine is PSG, because imagine that with everything that's being argued.

But you don't have the money available that the elite clubs have, do you? You haven't had the same money as Barce, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juve...even the English sides who under-perform in Europe like Man City, Chelsea and United. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You Arsenal fans make me laugh. You constantly moan about not winning the league/champions league yet lord Spurs about how great they are and how well run they are:

"Look at Spurs WAAAAAAAAA"

"Why aren't we competing like Spurs WAAAAA" 

"They are sooo well run WAAAAAAAAAA"

Just take a step back and look at the last time Spurs won anything! Fuck me, Liverpool spend loads and what have we won in the last 10 years? I'd snap your arm off for 3 FA Cups in 4 seasons!

Truth is Arsenal are round about where they should be. The big hitters in this league are United, City & Chelsea (the biggest spenders and the league winners 99% of the time) and the rest of us are just trying to stay competitive. 

All this crying is just false hope because the way Arsenal are run from upstairs means that whoever is the manager, they will still face the same problems. 

Wenger has Arsenal finishing where they should be finishing year in, year out. Winning the league would just be Arsenal punching above their weight or the 3 moneybags underachieving. 

Just be happy the FA Cups keep rolling in you ungrateful whoppers. 

Are you just happy with the top 6 head to head table where Liverpool finishes first every season? Did you not ever moan about liverpool losing to smaller teams this eventually dropping from the title race?

Just now, Asura said:

Haha it indeed is, no big club starts their season in August aiming for FA cup only. 

I don't think any big club does that including Arsenal, but they've won it 3 times now. Of course "winning" a Champions League spot is a lot more important than silverware these days :|

2 minutes ago, Asura said:

Are you just happy with the top 6 head to head table where Liverpool finishes first every season? Did you not ever moan about liverpool losing to smaller teams this eventually dropping from the title race?

No im not happy with top 6 head to head and yes I have moaned about us losing to smaller teams....

But not everyday for the past 4 years like your mob xD

Just now, Danny said:

I don't think any big club does that including Arsenal, but they've won it 3 times now. Of course "winning" a Champions League spot is a lot more important than silverware these days :|

No, I never said about CL spot and that is not important because they are going to get embarrassed anyways, they are not in the league of big boys in europe so I dont expect them to win or compete there. Challenging for premier league is where I think Arsenal should be at and the least they could do is lose some big games respectively. How many big clubs have you seen in the last 8-10 years that were spanked 5+ goals both domestic and in the continent? There is only one, that is Arsenal.

Just now, Asura said:

No, I never said about CL spot and that is not important because they are going to get embarrassed anyways, they are not in the league of big boys in europe so I dont expect them to win or compete there. Challenging for premier league is where I think Arsenal should be at and the least they could do is lose some big games respectively. How many big clubs have you seen in the last 8-10 years that were spanked 5+ goals both domestic and in the continent? There is only one, that is Arsenal.

But if you were to "challenge" and fail as you have done in previous seasons, you will just moan about "bottling" it against teams with larger resources if you don't win.

Arsenal have had some bad results in Europe and I'm not denying that, but they've also just won THREE FA Cups in FOUR years. "Big" clubs would be proud of that achievement. I don't normally write in capitals but apparently a lot of people lack perspective when talking about Arsene Wenger and Arsenal.

• Subscriber

Sake, what a tedious discussion.

The problems at Arsenal are partially down to Wenger but I've always felt that the bigger problems were above him. Usmanov has tried to become the majority shareholder in recent weeks and has come out today and said that Wenger needs backing so it's more interesting to me to see how that situation develops.

Any Arsenal fans think they'd be competing for and winning titles with a different manager need their heads checking though, unless it is actually Wenger's decision not to spend more money on the squad - and I'm not talking once or twice deciding not to spend bigger on a player, I mean as a general club policy.

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

No im not happy with top 6 head to head and yes I have moaned about us losing to smaller teams....

But not everyday for the past 4 years like your mob xD

I dont think folks on this forum moaned everyday, the frustration now is because Wenger renewed again. 

PS: Just ignore @VanPanna and @SirBalon they are bitter because Wenger was having vacation in his undies in a beach and attracting so many men  :ph34r:

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Sake, what a tedious discussion.

The problems at Arsenal are partially down to Wenger but I've always felt that the bigger problems were above him. Usmanov has tried to become the majority shareholder in recent weeks and has come out today and said that Wenger needs backing so it's more interesting to me to see how the situation develops.

Any Arsenal fans think they'd be competing for and winning titles with a different manager need their heads checking though, unless it is actually Wenger's decision not to spend more money on the squad - and I'm not talking once or twice deciding not to spend bigger on a player, I mean as a general club policy.

The thing is there are articles across the internet showing that Arsenal don't have the resources to compete, yet it's claimed the board are holding it all back with little proof. Over the last three years they've invested £147m which is a massive amount, yet United can spend £80m in one Summer. How that is Wenger's fault is anyone's idea.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

But if you were to "challenge" and fail as you have done in previous seasons, you will just moan about "bottling" it against teams with larger resources if you don't win.

Arsenal have had some bad results in Europe and I'm not denying that, but they've also just won THREE FA Cups in FOUR years. "Big" clubs would be proud of that achievement. I don't normally write in capitals but apparently a lot of people lack perspective when talking about Arsene Wenger and Arsenal.

They haven't challenged in the last few years mate, thats a misconception. Arsenal always failed to challenge (not failed to win), in the end when the top 4 position is on the line they turn up, have a good run of games and get the CL spot but never challenged for the trophy. The only exception is probably last year when they had a good shot but Leicester won it in the end. 

You and me are looking at two sides of the coin where you talk about three cups in four years and I talk about all the 8-2, 6-0, 6-1, 6-3, 10-1 (two legs), etc. Im giving it a rest because we both are probably right in our own ways.

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

I already said in the FA Cup Final thread when we won that I was happier with that than qualification for the Champions League.  I also stated that I don't particularly care for Champions League qualification because I don't just want to be a participant.

But winning FA Cups and not being even close to competing for anything else is just sad.

Just now, Asura said:

They haven't challenged in the last few years mate, thats a misconception. Arsenal always failed to challenge (not failed to win), in the end when the top 4 position is on the line they turn up, have a good run of games and get the CL spot but never challenged for the trophy. The only exception is probably last year when they had a good shot but Leicester won it in the end. 

You and me are looking at two sides of the coin where you talk about three cups in four years and I talk about all the 8-2, 6-0, 6-1, 6-3, 10-1 (two legs), etc. Im giving it a rest because we both are probably right in our own ways.

I'm not suggesting those aren't valid points (the big losses in Europe and in the league), but as stated already I believe the bulk of Arsenal's problems don't lie with Arsene Wenger, they lie in the fact that Arsenal don't have the money to compete at the very top which is what their fans want. Arsenal massively underachieved in the league last season and got spanked by Bayern, but the flipside is they also won another major trophy. Arsenal aren't a club in disarray as some people will have you think and falling out of the top 4 isn't the end of the world which both Man Utd and Chelsea have shown.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I already said in the FA Cup Final thread when we won that I was happier with that than qualification for the Champions League.  I also stated that I don't particularly care for Champions League qualification because I don't just want to be a participant.

But winning FA Cups and not being even close to competing for anything else is just sad.

That level of entitlement is hardly good for a club that has been continuously outspent by it's closest rivals.

Just now, Danny said:

That level of entitlement is hardly good for a club that has been continuously outspent by it's closest rivals.

But there it sounds like you're implying I'm talking about winning.  I'm actually talking about being just genuine contenders....  Compete!  We're not competing and Wenger tactically has been a joke with the same tactics for years until the last month of the season where we were getting played by everyone...  He copied Conte's tactics and without the pressure of the full blown season

This is going round in circles. Obviously (not just from this series of posts on this thread) you continue to rate Wenger highly and not just that because you haven't commented on the fact he's had a wage raise and is the third highest earning manager in the world of football.  How he has earned that is beyond me but the only argument seems to be that he's won 3 FA Cups in 4 years.  That in my view is not good enough for the status his wage offers.  That wage is higher than what coaches earn at Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But there it sounds like you're implying I'm talking about winning.  I'm actually talking about being just genuine contenders....  Compete!  We're not competing and Wenger tactically has been a joke with the same tactics for years until the last month of the season where we were getting played by everyone...  He copied Conte's tactics and without the pressure of the full blown season

This is going round in circles. Obviously (not just from this series of posts on this thread) you continue to rate Wenger highly and not just that because you haven't commented on the fact he's had a wage raise and is the third highest earning manager in the world of football.  How he has earned that is beyond me but the only argument seems to be that he's won 3 FA Cups in 4 years.  That in my view is not good enough for the status his wage offers.  That wage is higher than what coaches earn at Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus.

Have a pop at him because he's accepted a higher pay rise? What planet do you live on?

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Have a pop at him because he's accepted a higher pay rise? What planet do you live on?

I'm having a pop at him because he's the third highest paid manager in the game.  Anyway...  All of this is going nowhere.  There are obviously differences of opinion and this Arsenal fan doesn't like it and will no longer purchase season tickets.

I'm 3k up this summer and I can start looking into what I'm going to do with it.  My wife is much happier too. xD

Surely it's a boardroom issue paying Wenger that amount of money? Well he's not going to say no is he? 

Wenger obviously loves the club and he'd probably have signed for half what he's been paid. The Arsenal board obviously pay him handsomely because they are extremely happy with the season results he gets. 

Again, Arsenal have a board issue rather than a manager issue and if the same policies are employed when a new manager comes in (whoever that may be) then they'll face the same issues as Wenger does and will in all probability finish league campaigns in around the same position. 

Well in my opinion, as is most's opinion, it wasn't the right move to do this, but it was expected, wasn't it? 

I don't see much changing, I certainly don't expect Wenger to change now, but he's there for two more years, so the best move for both him and fans would be for the fans to get behind him and support him for the next two years, it's much more healthy than being sour and miserable and against him for another 24 months.

Personally I would love to see him somehow win the Premier League and sign off like that, it would be the fairytale end that he seems to be waiting for haha

13 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Surely it's a boardroom issue paying Wenger that amount of money? Well he's not going to say no is he? 

Wenger obviously loves the club and he'd probably have signed for half what he's been paid. The Arsenal board obviously pay him handsomely because they are extremely happy with the season results he gets. 

Again, Arsenal have a board issue rather than a manager issue and if the same policies are employed when a new manager comes in (whoever that may be) then they'll face the same issues as Wenger does and will in all probability finish league campaigns in around the same position. 

Wenger is on the board, its a closed shop with these type of Texas tycoons like Kroenke, he runs his American sports teams the same.  

• The title was changed to Arsenal Fans Slam 'Disgraceful' Thierry Henry After 'Snubbing' Wenger Send-Off

Archived