talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi Wins Case to Trademark Name

football forum

Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, the record four-time world player of the year, won a European Union court challenge over the trademark rights to his own logo, defeating a Spanish cycling clothing maker who owns the name Massi.

The soccer “player’s fame counteracts the visual and phonetic similarities” with the other brand, the EU General Court, said in a decision in Luxembourg on Thursday. The EU judges said Messi should get the EU trademark for the logo, which consists of an emblem with an M, with the name Messi underneath.

400x-1.jpg

Lionel Messi

Photographer: Alex Caparros/Getty Images

The soccer player has fought since 2011 to get the EU trademark rights for the logo which is used for sports clothing and shoes. Jaume Masferrer Coma, the owner of a brand of cycling clothes called Massi, has so far blocked the Argentina national team star, with Coma arguing that he already owned EU trademarks for his brand and allowing Messi to claim one would cause too much confusion with customers.

The EU’s intellectual property office in Alicante, Spain, had ruled against Messi, who in 2014 challenged this decision at the bloc’s second-highest court.

Bloomberg 

The pretentious twat :D I know a number of other players like Ronaldo have done this but come on hah.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Cicero said:

Will he now release his underwear line to compete against Ronaldo's? 

They will probabbly be the best two underwear lines of all timeand we will be lucky to witness both great underwears at the same time

This is something completely normal in the business world.  I've always found it odd how something so generic like a surname can be made into a registered trademark considering the 100s of 1000s of people that will be sharing that name around the world and can now no longer use it ever if they or a family member in the future was to want to with something like fashion for example which is the typical industry where someone's name is used.  I am astounded that this continues to be the case.

1 hour ago, VanPaddy said:

and a book about how to cheat the taxman.

CR7 already bought and read that book but forgot to implement the rule of not being greedy and cheating the tax man with 200% more money than the original cheater. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

This is something completely normal in the business world.  I've always found it odd how something so generic like a surname can be made into a registered trademark considering the 100s of 1000s of people that will be sharing that name around the world and can now no longer use it ever if they or a family member in the future was to want to with something like fashion for example which is the typical industry where someone's name is used.  I am astounded that this continues to be the case.

I read a news some while ago that Argentina has banned the name Messi for children because 'Messi' is a caste/family name and people started naming their kids Messi so the concerned community was against this

Don't know if thats true

40 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

I read a news some while ago that Argentina has banned the name Messi for children because 'Messi' is a caste/family name and people started naming their kids Messi so the concerned community was against this

Don't know if thats true

It's the first I've heard of this mate but it makes sense.  Maybe @Berserker knows something about this.

As far as I'm concerned people's names shouldn't be permitted to be trademarked by an individual unless they can prove that name is quite unique in terms of an amount of people that share it, names like that exist but are few and far between.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's the first I've heard of this mate but it makes sense.  Maybe @Berserker knows something about this.

As far as I'm concerned people's names shouldn't be permitted to be trademarked by an individual unless they can prove that name is quite unique in terms of an amount of people that share it, names like that exist but are few and far between.

It was apparently banned in Rosario (Messi's birthplace) in 2014, but the same note says one kid had already been named that in Rio Negro. The note said it was only in Rosario though.

Archived