• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group F Matchday 3 - 27 June - South Korea 2-0 Germany, Mexico 0-3 Sweden

football forum

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I'm not against statistical data in any way to judge a player, I think they are very relevant in today's game. I've heard many times on here how irrelevant stats are, yet they get brought up when it suits an agenda.

No they aren't. Stats are used to back up your argument, but if we're just looking at stats as a whole, they are irrelevant. Nobody has any agenda that you're suggesting. I saw the games and Ozil was terrible. SirBalon probably posted that as a backup, as none of you Arsenal fans want to buy into the argument that he was poor, which is fair. You may have seen differently to us, but there is no need to say it has to do with this agenda you are suggesting.

9 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

It's funny how stats become important all of a sudden. xD

I haven’t spoken badly about Özil during this World Cup. Infact Panna brought it up in their defeat against Mexico and I said that even though he didn’t play well, he was nowhere near the worst.

The reason I posted those stats was literally because Italian tv channel showing the tournament (I’m in Italy at the moment) Mediaset, have focussed on his performance saying that in past tournaments he was one of the players revolutionising the side and that in this one he was awful. They didn’t say he was the worst but that HE has the responsibility of producing something special as he’s that type of player.

Then they placed the stats.

By the way... I made a mistake on the first two... It’s shots and shots on target which are two different things. 

Just now, Blue said:

No they aren't. Stats are used to back up your argument, but if we're just looking at stats as a whole, they are irrelevant. Nobody has any agenda that you're suggesting. I saw the games and Ozil was terrible. SirBalon probably posted that as a backup, as none of you Arsenal fans want to buy into the argument that he was poor, which is fair. You may have seen differently to us, but there is no need to say it has to do with this agenda you are suggesting.

Are you an idiot?

8 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I agree he was poor, I'm not defending him. You can just look to him though, Kroos and Goretzka were far worse.

3 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Are you an idiot?

If being an idiot means defending SirBalon for a harmless post that was misinterpreted, then by all means I am one.

2 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Are you an idiot?

I said a similar thing about Ozil in the Mexico game where I said he wasn't good but there were worse players on the team. The response from Blue was "You may think he had a good game but..." xD

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I haven’t spoken badly about Özil during this World Cup. Infact Panna brought it up in their defeat against Mexico and I said that even though he didn’t play well, he was nowhere near the worst.

The reason I posted those stats was literally because Italian tv channel showing the tournament (I’m in Italy at the moment) Mediaset, have focussed on his performance saying that in past tournaments he was one of the players revolutionising the side and that in this one he was awful. They didn’t say he was the worst but that HE has the responsibility of producing something special as he’s that type of player.

By the way... I made a mistake on the first two... It’s shots and shots on target which are two different things. 

Was not just me, most of the German ex players slammed Ozil also,  that is why he was dropped.  Matthaus slammed him and Basler said he looks like a dead frog on the pitch. 

Just now, 6666 said:

I said a similar thing about Ozil in the Mexico game where I said he wasn't good but there were worse players on the team. The response from Blue was "You may think he had a good game but..." xD

Nah, you said I was being ridiculous for saying he was at fault for the goal which he very much was in my view. No need for manipulation xD

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Well...

Relevant stats that are a part of why he's on the pitch aren't important though... Players on the receiving end of those chances messing up is his fault though...

Just now, Blue said:

Nah, you said I was being ridiculous for saying he was at fault for the goal which he very much was in my view. No need for manipulation xD

You were ridiculous for that, and it's still idiotic. But the discussion then widened into the whole performance of him and the team. Read the whole thing back if you want.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's fair enough mate, he had a poor game I will not for one second deny that. We have differing opinions on him and that's fine, I will just leave it at that. :x

Just now, 6666 said:

Relevant stats that are a part of why he's on the pitch aren't important though... Players on the receiving end of those chances messing up is his fault though...

The problem is, a lot of people don't get what Ozil is all about, yes he does things like creates chances etc but what they cannot stand is his off the ball performance.

11 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Now that this football business has finished Germany can get back to concentrating on ruining Europe’s economy & culture. 

Pretty sure all you do these days is go around posting bad political one liners xD

Also, if we're looking at statistics, Kroos was excellent against Sweden. One of the most complete performances in the World Cup. He was also the best player on the pitch vs Korea accorsing to SofaScore. Wasn't that way was it?

Really goes to show statistics are useless unless you are just backing up your argument.

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

You were ridiculous for that, and it's still idiotic. But the discussion then widened into the whole performance of him and the team. Read the whole thing back if you want.

So its OK for him to track back and then do nothing? I could have beaten him in that situation. He just stood there.

4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

The problem is, a lot of people don't get what Ozil is all about, yes he does things like creates chances etc but what they cannot stand is his off the ball performance.

His off the ball running is usually quite high. His running overall was consistently higher for us than Sanchez's was but because people get fooled easily they labelled Ozil lazy and Sanchez a guy always running. Most people only like to accept what's extremely obvious to them. Those people, are quite stupid.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Blue said:

So its OK for him to track back and then do nothing? I could have beaten him in that situation. He just stood there.

did more than other defenders did who were still halfway up the field.

Attempted a tackle albeit half-heartedly considering he was probably shattered sprinting back that much.

The point being, at least he made it back.

• Administrator
Just now, 6666 said:

His off the ball running is usually quite high. His running overall was consistently higher for us than Sanchez's was but because people get fooled easily they labelled Ozil lazy and Sanchez a guy always running. Most people only like to accept what's extremely obvious to them. Those people, are quite stupid.

I'm not Ozil's biggest fan but at one point I used to criticise him for being 'lazy'. Then began to watch him more closely and realised he just tends to have that persona because he has a good way of making the ball do the work to his own & team's benefit.

Just now, Stan said:

did more than other defenders did who were still halfway up the field.

Attempted a tackle albeit half-heartedly considering he was probably shattered sprinting back that much.

The point being, at least he made it back.

I know, but I was just pinpointing what went wrong in that. Lozano did well for the goal but to be being "shattered" sprinting back isn't an excuse given how early the game was,

Like I mentioned, if you track back you should actually make it count. If Lozano beat him well, then fair enough but he stood there and I probably could have beaten him to the middle.

I would have said the same if it was Riquelme. Neither players are exactly known for work rate, but that's no excuse.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm not Ozil's biggest fan but at one point I used to criticise him for being 'lazy'. Then began to watch him more closely and realised he just tends to have that persona because he has a good way of making the ball do the work to his own & team's benefit.

I don't watch Arsenal a whole lot. Is he a winger or a CAM? If the latter, he's a good example of an Enganche I reckon in which you don't need to have a whole lot of work rate. Riquelme as I just mentioned also had shocking work rate and off the ball movement, but you don't always need to have that to be a good player. Different styles and all.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived