Other Matches - Saturday 25th - Sunday 26th August, 2018

football forum

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Southampton and Mark Hughes xD

he was livid after Hojberg red card xD. If you've not seen it, you won't be able to understand why he got so vexed.

I usually hate Jon Moss but he's made a great call with that. Fair.

• Administrator

I must admit I didn't have us down to get anything from the game based on the first half up to their goal. After they scored, we got an equaliser virtually straight after and then we took over the game. Don't think Southampton had any attempts, let alone on goal, after we scored.

What I also didn't see happening is Maguire banging in a 25-yarder in the last minute after striding forward. Took a slight deflection but was always going on I think.

Bertrand's goal was quality. Far too much power for Kasper. However Kasper kept us in the game with some good saves from Southampton's dominance. 

Another 3 points though. Can't complain.

• Subscriber

Don't know what it is about Bournemouth but the fact we haven't won their in four seasons is simply baffling after all the leads we've had. We need to be better when we're leading because we led Wolves twice and led 2-0 today only to draw both times. Even last weekend we let Southampton back in after leading 2-0. Either go and kill the game with another or learn to control the pace of it and take the zip out of the opposition. It would probably help if we stopped getting red cards and giving away penalties too.

Another example of this season being a saving grace though. Last season at Wolves and Bournemouth we'd have lost both games without scoring.

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

he was livid after Hojberg red card xD. If you've not seen it, you won't be able to understand why he got so vexed.

I usually hate Jon Moss but he's made a great call with that. Fair.

He's bang in the wrong, but I sort of understand why he's upset as so many dives go unpunished it almost seems arbitrary when the referee does decide to issue a card.

• Subscriber

We just get harder and harder to sum up I swear xD

What a fantastic goal to win it though. Unless that's took a deflection that's a great strike especially for a centre half. The kind of day that makes attending football worthwhile.

We've ended up having a good start really. Two wins on the bounce both in games we could've easily dropped points.

The first half was a chore. They were rubbish and we were somehow worse.

But once we went behind it seemed to jolt us into life. We nearly gifted Southampton the lead back again with two stupid mistakes in about five seconds - that incredibly they didn't just not take, but they ended up handing us the ascendancy by getting a red card. Heard no complaints about it yet but then again I've not heard Mark Hughes' interview so the two are probably linked.

I thought it was heading for a draw but what a hit, in front of the away end to boot.

I expect little next week but we should be very content with this. This young team you would hope will only get better too.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

I must admit I didn't have us down to get anything from the game based on the first half up to their goal. After they scored, we got an equaliser virtually straight after and then we took over the game. Don't think Southampton had any attempts, let alone on goal, after we scored.

What I also didn't see happening is Maguire banging in a 25-yarder in the last minute after striding forward. Took a slight deflection but was always going on I think.

Bertrand's goal was quality. Far too much power for Kasper. However Kasper kept us in the game with some good saves from Southampton's dominance. 

Another 3 points though. Can't complain.

Southampton were poor. We weren't ambitious enough in our play for me and we just let them control it, but they barely came close to creating anything in the first half.

I've got money on Southampton to go down and on that showing I think it's a decent bet. To edge a poor game, then go ahead in the second half, and still lose it is very worrying in my eyes.

Hughes is a charlatan. I'm sure it will be everyone's fault bar his own as per usual.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Southampton were poor. We weren't ambitious enough in our play for me and we just let them control it, but they barely came close to creating anything in the first half.

I've got money on Southampton to go down and on that showing I think it's a decent bet. To edge a poor game, then go ahead in the second half, and still lose it is very worrying in my eyes.

Hughes is a charlatan. I'm sure it will be everyone's fault bar his own as per usual.

one of the worst managers in the league, I think. A moaning cunt as well, but merely an addition to the first point.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

He's bang in the wrong, but I sort of understand why he's upset as so many dives go unpunished it almost seems arbitrary when the referee does decide to issue a card.

I agree and it's a problem with consistency again, but even Hughes cannot possibly try and say it was the wrong decision.

I've not actually seen many replays, just the highlights. Looked like Maguire was a deflection, great call for Hohlbergjsjduwnsj dive by the ref.

Thought Bournemouth were unlucky to go down to ten, looked like other defenders had it covered. Wilson should have gone down when Holgate pushed him, should have been a pen and a red but refs don't give fouls if you manage to stay on your feet, even if the foul completely puts you out.

• Subscriber

Maguire's I think has taken a very slight deflection but it's the wrong sighting of the keeper more than anything that's beaten him. It's not like Maddison's last week where that's deflected to a position where it's become unstoppable.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Danny said:

Wilson should have gone down when Holgate pushed him, should have been a pen and a red but refs don't give fouls if you manage to stay on your feet, even if the foul completely puts you out.

Was that game not enough of a tragic example of what an abortion of a non contact sport football has already become for your liking? xD

42 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Was that game not enough of a tragic example of what an abortion of a non contact sport football has already become for your liking? xD

Tbh I liked that he stayed up, which does contradict what I said about should have gone down 😂 But the push in his back was more than just contact and was a foul, put his shot off didn't it.

• Subscriber

I'm really struggling to analyse us. Our best performance this season was the one game we lost, and we won the other two.

It just doesn't make sense xD how can it keep happening?

• Administrator

surprised the referee didn't take any action against Holgate (?) who pushed Wilson as he shot. Not even a subtle push, properly pushes him off-balance. 

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Stan said:

surprised the referee didn't take any action against Holgate (?) who pushed Wilson as he shot. Not even a subtle push, properly pushes him off-balance. 

Already gave them one penalty that would have been deemed soft even a couple of years ago but nowadays is an average nailed on penalty. There was one on Tosun as well that I assume isn't shown on Match of the Day where his arm was yanked back and he went down that probably should have been a penalty.

In reality 90% of penalties now shouldn't be penalties if anyone had some common sense and people still cared about players diving and going down like pussies at the slightest touch but it's just become accepted that everything is a penalty nowadays.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Already gave them one penalty that would have been deemed soft even a couple of years ago but nowadays is an average nailed on penalty. There was one on Tosun as well that I assume isn't shown on Match of the Day where his arm was yanked back and he went down that probably should have been a penalty.

In reality 90% of penalties now shouldn't be penalties if anyone had some common sense and people still cared about players diving and going down like pussies at the slightest touch but it's just become accepted that everything is a penalty nowadays.

Yeah not seen the Tosun one. MOTD didn't show it.

Also, don't think the penalty they did get was soft - Baines does push him in the back?

• Subscriber

Just seen this on Twitter as well. Debatable.

56 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah not seen the Tosun one. MOTD didn't show it.

Also, don't think the penalty they did get was soft - Baines does push him in the back?

Yeah he does and like I said nowadays it's a definite penalty. But two or three years ago the way Wilson becomes a deadweight and goes down most people call that soft.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived