Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Headphones and Headsets for music and gaming


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

What headphones do you use for listening to music? For anyone that plays any instruments, do you use studio monitor headphones?

When I'm at home, I use a pair of AudioTechnica ATH-M50s - both for music and for when I do play guitar with headphones (which is virtually never, fuck my neighbors) or when I record riffs (which also barely happens because I don't like playing through my computer lol, but sometimes I'll need to).

But now I'm in the market for a pair of Bluetooth earbuds for when I'm on the go with my phone. I don't want to use those Apple ear-cigarette looking Bluetooth headphones though (although I hear they work well if you've got an iPhone... but you'd expect that, as it's an Apple product.

Any audiophiles on here able to help me out? And if not, this thread can be a discussion about headphones or some shite like that....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.
On 24/08/2018 at 02:24, Dr. Gonzo said:

What headphones do you use for listening to music? For anyone that plays any instruments, do you use studio monitor headphones?

When I'm at home, I use a pair of AudioTechnica ATH-M50s - both for music and for when I do play guitar with headphones (which is virtually never, fuck my neighbors) or when I record riffs (which also barely happens because I don't like playing through my computer lol, but sometimes I'll need to).

But now I'm in the market for a pair of Bluetooth earbuds for when I'm on the go with my phone. I don't want to use those Apple ear-cigarette looking Bluetooth headphones though (although I hear they work well if you've got an iPhone... but you'd expect that, as it's an Apple product.

Any audiophiles on here able to help me out? And if not, this thread can be a discussion about headphones or some shite like that....

Such a tough thing to actually comment on because I use a slew of things at home based on years of purchase.

For general listening and my Guitars/Basses: SONY MDR VR-6/ SONY MDR 7506 - I don't think you can go wrong with either of these for studio work although AudioTechnica has some great choices as well. I have always favored the Sonys because I've had my V6s for over 10 years now and my 7506 for half a decade and I think I am glued to the sound they produce for what I like to hear out of Studio repro work. Their price is also confusing because you wouldn't classify them as best in their class but for that price I don't think anyone would complain.

For Mobile/Laptop Listening - Beyerdynamics T51p - Sound stage pornography is what a friend of mine once said these were because the Chrous range is ridiculously good and the bass won't change your heartbeat but its very prominent. You can try something in sennheiser like the low range HDs as well for on-the-go listening but these are always in my bag because I can't really get how they managed such great clarity through them. Also about 3 years old give or take but worth every single penny and they are starting to look worn out but the sound is brilliant. Downside here is that they are a cable driven set of headphones so no wireless love.

For when I feel like I need to bust out the pre-amp, amp, driver and want to listen to some quality HD Music - Sennheiser HD 800 - The best thing you'll ever hear and the closes second is something Beyerdynamics make but this thing is the king of the hill when it comes to sound reproduction through HD music. The downside is that you need a rig and a lot of peripherals to make it worth the money as to drive these cans takes a lot of power so a pre-amp is a minimum must. It isn't something you want to carry everywhere with you but if you're into High-Def music or a Wave file hoarder these are good as are many other options in the lower ranges, I just couldn't be arsed to waste the time upgrading so i got these to begin with.

For what you're looking for I think NuForce might be a good thing to look into. They are made by a company called Optoma and have some of the best sound repro you can ask for. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

same as @UNORTHODOX.

I only ever use in-ear ones. Not a fan of other types of headphones, not sure why.

I've been through a lot of pairs but have found Sennheiser ones most reliable and fantastic quality. I don't like to pay too much for things so this was best value for money. Think they only cost me about £30. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/09/2018 at 22:18, Dr. Gonzo said:

I just got these cheapo Mpow Flame earbuds off amazon because they were cheap and highly rated. They’re pretty decent I’ll use them til I’m ready to spend big on something with better sound quality.

This thread was a big failure xD

You know buying cheap earphones doesn't necessarily translate to poor sound quality. Sometimes, just sometimes, they put such low resistance in the earphones that you get lucky (pretty much like chips in computers) and then they produce this ridiculous sound that is so crystal clear you can't believe that the 'el-cheapo' pair sound better than the studio quality pair you have lying around. The only sad thing these days is that you can't really listen to them in action before you buy them in many places. 

I used to like in-ears a lot till they started giving me headaches due to the sound push directly into the ear canal so I switched to over-ears which imo turned out to be far more comfortable but definitely impractical for things like jogging or if you dont want something sitting on your head due to the size. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/08/2018 at 05:45, Mel81x said:

Such a tough thing to actually comment on because I use a slew of things at home based on years of purchase.

For general listening and my Guitars/Basses: SONY MDR VR-6/ SONY MDR 7506 - I don't think you can go wrong with either of these for studio work although AudioTechnica has some great choices as well. I have always favored the Sonys because I've had my V6s for over 10 years now and my 7506 for half a decade and I think I am glued to the sound they produce for what I like to hear out of Studio repro work. Their price is also confusing because you wouldn't classify them as best in their class but for that price I don't think anyone would complain.

For Mobile/Laptop Listening - Beyerdynamics T51p - Sound stage pornography is what a friend of mine once said these were because the Chrous range is ridiculously good and the bass won't change your heartbeat but its very prominent. You can try something in sennheiser like the low range HDs as well for on-the-go listening but these are always in my bag because I can't really get how they managed such great clarity through them. Also about 3 years old give or take but worth every single penny and they are starting to look worn out but the sound is brilliant. Downside here is that they are a cable driven set of headphones so no wireless love.

For when I feel like I need to bust out the pre-amp, amp, driver and want to listen to some quality HD Music - Sennheiser HD 800 - The best thing you'll ever hear and the closes second is something Beyerdynamics make but this thing is the king of the hill when it comes to sound reproduction through HD music. The downside is that you need a rig and a lot of peripherals to make it worth the money as to drive these cans takes a lot of power so a pre-amp is a minimum must. It isn't something you want to carry everywhere with you but if you're into High-Def music or a Wave file hoarder these are good as are many other options in the lower ranges, I just couldn't be arsed to waste the time upgrading so i got these to begin with.

For what you're looking for I think NuForce might be a good thing to look into. They are made by a company called Optoma and have some of the best sound repro you can ask for. 

 

Great post Mel.

I have a pair of Sennheiser PXC550, the best pair of headphones I owned so far. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Asura said:

I have a pair of Sennheiser PXC550, the best pair of headphones I owned so far. 

Great pair of cans. I did some reading when I got the idea of going wireless sadly I never went ahead with it because I was still using a phone with a proper headphone jack. With the Pixel 2 now carrying around an adapter seems monotonous so I am thinking i'll take the BT Wireless leap sometime next year and so far my heart is set on the Sony MX 1000 M2. How are the ones you have from a daily comfort perspective?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

You know buying cheap earphones doesn't necessarily translate to poor sound quality. Sometimes, just sometimes, they put such low resistance in the earphones that you get lucky (pretty much like chips in computers) and then they produce this ridiculous sound that is so crystal clear you can't believe that the 'el-cheapo' pair sound better than the studio quality pair you have lying around. The only sad thing these days is that you can't really listen to them in action before you buy them in many places. 

I used to like in-ears a lot till they started giving me headaches due to the sound push directly into the ear canal so I switched to over-ears which imo turned out to be far more comfortable but definitely impractical for things like jogging or if you dont want something sitting on your head due to the size. 

These ones aren't quite as good as my studio monitors (or even close really) and I've had earbuds that I've not liked at all. But these ones are very clear and have a good amount of bass without overpowering my ears with bass. Pretty good purchase, I think. Not as fancy as I'd planned on, but they do their job well for just a pair of headphones on the go. They're awful for taking calls though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Great pair of cans. I did some reading when I got the idea of going wireless sadly I never went ahead with it because I was still using a phone with a proper headphone jack. With the Pixel 2 now carrying around an adapter seems monotonous so I am thinking i'll take the BT Wireless leap sometime next year and so far my heart is set on the Sony MX 1000 M2. How are the ones you have from a daily comfort perspective?

I tried the sennheiser momentum before these but I dont think they were comfortable enough to wear them for longer times. But the PXC 550s are much much better and I can wear them for very long times during my office hours. I dont feel any discomfort.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

These ones aren't quite as good as my studio monitors (or even close really) and I've had earbuds that I've not liked at all. But these ones are very clear and have a good amount of bass without overpowering my ears with bass. Pretty good purchase, I think. Not as fancy as I'd planned on, but they do their job well for just a pair of headphones on the go. They're awful for taking calls though.

I can't think of anything really except stuff from Plantronics or some Logitech/Crossair headphones that truly shine for VOIP or even mobile calls. I gave up on using headsets for calls for a long long time till I decided that I should just get a cheap mic and use that instead. Don't think I have taken a call on my phone with a headset in over four years now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Got a pair of these for Xmas - https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3

Now, I am not one to be swayed by all this new-age bluetooth tech but these cans are seriously good when it comes to music reproduction and if you're using an Android phone then LDAC is a totally different beast as a wireless codec. And then there's two other things that make these a great pair of cans, the noise-cancellation and the 'ear-cups'. If you've ever changed the cup cushions ever on a pair of headphones you'll really appreciate what Sony have done here. Soft, plush, comfortable and they make my pillow seem a bit hard at times.

Definite purchase if you want a pair of great BT headphones just remember that they are a bit pricey.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 21:23, Mel81x said:

Got a pair of these for Xmas - https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3

Now, I am not one to be swayed by all this new-age bluetooth tech but these cans are seriously good when it comes to music reproduction and if you're using an Android phone then LDAC is a totally different beast as a wireless codec. And then there's two other things that make these a great pair of cans, the noise-cancellation and the 'ear-cups'. If you've ever changed the cup cushions ever on a pair of headphones you'll really appreciate what Sony have done here. Soft, plush, comfortable and they make my pillow seem a bit hard at times.

Definite purchase if you want a pair of great BT headphones just remember that they are a bit pricey.

Was so ready to order these on your review! Then I saw the price lol, guess not. I've got about a month to get myself a good pair of headphones with good noise cancelling for the plane. Because even with my Audio Technica monitors on my flight back from home, I heard the plane's engine the entire 11 hours and I fucking hated it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Was so ready to order these on your review! Then I saw the price lol, guess not. I've got about a month to get myself a good pair of headphones with good noise cancelling for the plane. Because even with my Audio Technica monitors on my flight back from home, I heard the plane's engine the entire 11 hours and I fucking hated it.

You can get a pair of XM2s for a fantastic price too. Someone I know said they were going for 95 - 110 over Black Friday/Cyber Monday which I thought was a steal deal for those headphones. The problem is waiting for those deals versus just picking one up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mel81x said:

You can get a pair of XM2s for a fantastic price too. Someone I know said they were going for 95 - 110 over Black Friday/Cyber Monday which I thought was a steal deal for those headphones. The problem is waiting for those deals versus just picking one up. 

Judging by the notification I just got from my Amazon app, my fiancé's just ordered me Marshall Mid Bluetooth headphones for Christmas. No idea if they're any good or not, tbh, I think she just got them because they're Marshall branded lol. But looks like she's taken care of me wanting new headphones. Also looks like I have to pretend I didn't see the notification and have to feign surprise now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Judging by the notification I just got from my Amazon app, my fiancé's just ordered me Marshall Mid Bluetooth headphones for Christmas. No idea if they're any good or not, tbh, I think she just got them because they're Marshall branded lol. But looks like she's taken care of me wanting new headphones. Also looks like I have to pretend I didn't see the notification and have to feign surprise now.

I love the look of their headphone series and from what I hear they have excellent sound reproduction value as well. Your fiance has good taste :)

As for looking surprised when you know its coming just follow this little guide

a82a336fa3d3e40303cdc61411a32b05.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

So my favourite pair of headphones just decided to break at the worst possible time in the middle of the quarantine :censored: I loved them mostly because of the amazing fit of the cushions over the ear. Now I need a new pair and don't know what to order; can't test it before buying as all the shops are closed ¬¬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Needed Bluetooth headphones urgently, so got a pair of JBL LIVE 500BT recently. The battery life is incredible. Lasted me over 35 hours on first charge! The sound is pretty clean, and after playing around with the equalisers, I think it sounds good in a variety of genres. The fit is great for me, the cushions are very comfy (though could be a bit too small for someone with bigger ears haha) and the headphones sit quite tightly so are good for exercising too. The build looks solid, the folding joints are made of metal and headband also contains a metal sheet, so it feels fairly robust. Also love the ambient and talk through modes. The only minus point is no sound cancelation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I needed some new in-ear headphones a few weeks ago as my Beats Bluetooth ones gave up after a good few years of use.

Was recommended to use the WhatHifi website for recommendations for all kinds of budgets or preferences. Really good site and honest reviews. 

I ended up getting some really good SoundMagic in-ear bluetooth ones for about £70 and they're brilliant. Perfect for what I use it for (music, video calls for work etc). Really clear audio, good bass, excellent battery life (which makes the price all the more surprising). Some other similar headphones were going for about £200+.

@Harry - really recommend that site if you're stuck on what to go for...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Thinking about investing in a pair of these but a bit worried by the price tag.

Would use the wireless function for gaming on my desktop pc, and the Bluetooth function for my work laptop for Skype meetings etc.

 

20200914_122207.jpg

i've owned a pair of these. I can say that the sound quality is very good with the mic especially with the isolation factor that is kicked in when doing VoIP calls or even gaming. The only downside is that band on the top of the bar and the fact that the ear cups tend to heat up your ears every now and then. If you're in the shop for some quality gaming/VOIP headphones and want to save some money while doing so try the HyperX Cloud series. They not only save some money but also offer exceptional voice clarity.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Usually use the Jabra Evolve 80 so work calls. They work so well, and are noise cancelling and have never had any issues. 

A7990397_mv2.jpg

I wish I could find a good pair of wireless 'buds', but I have tired a couple now and they either fall out, have poor quality, or last about 3 hours. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Eco said:

Usually use the Jabra Evolve 80 so work calls. They work so well, and are noise cancelling and have never had any issues. 

A7990397_mv2.jpg

I wish I could find a good pair of wireless 'buds', but I have tired a couple now and they either fall out, have poor quality, or last about 3 hours. 

Thought Jabra had those Active type earbuds that were touted as good but I can't think of a single wireless bud maker that has anything good from an overall perspective with any reviews I have read online. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Thought Jabra had those Active type earbuds that were touted as good but I can't think of a single wireless bud maker that has anything good from an overall perspective with any reviews I have read online. 

I thought about Google (Since everything I have is Google) but nope. 

Maybe the Beats, but still can't find anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I thought about Google (Since everything I have is Google) but nope. 

Maybe the Beats, but still can't find anything. 

I want to try the Jabra Active 75Ts but I cant find anyone saying that the voice quality is any good and the battery life is rather poor from prolonged use as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

i've owned a pair of these. I can say that the sound quality is very good with the mic especially with the isolation factor that is kicked in when doing VoIP calls or even gaming. The only downside is that band on the top of the bar and the fact that the ear cups tend to heat up your ears every now and then. If you're in the shop for some quality gaming/VOIP headphones and want to save some money while doing so try the HyperX Cloud series. They not only save some money but also offer exceptional voice clarity.

Do any hyper X models come with Bluetooth connectivity though? 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Usually use the Jabra Evolve 80 so work calls. They work so well, and are noise cancelling and have never had any issues. 

A7990397_mv2.jpg

I wish I could find a good pair of wireless 'buds', but I have tired a couple now and they either fall out, have poor quality, or last about 3 hours. 

For me it MUST be wireless. At the moment our childcare is shutdown and have 2 and 4 y.o running around I am constantly neefing to jump up and run out of to attend to some issue Midway through a meeting... The cord is tangling, ripping/bending out of the USB slot I can't take it any longer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry said:

For me it MUST be wireless. At the moment our childcare is shutdown and have 2 and 4 y.o running around I am constantly neefing to jump up and run out of to attend to some issue Midway through a meeting... The cord is tangling, ripping/bending out of the USB slot I can't take it any longer. 

I specifically wanted a corded one so I didn't have to deal with charging as sometimes my calls can last hours. 

I also want a pair of wireless, but haven't been able to find anything up to snuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm extremely happy with my JBL LIVE 500BT. Posted a few months ago, but I'm still blown away by its battery life. Legit holds for about 33-35 hours on single charge. For less than a 100€, I consider it a great buy.

IMG_3771-500x375.jpg

I bought their buds, but they were awful. Sounds was okay, but they would stay on my ear for the life of me and drove me nuts. 

That is a good price though, and I'll certainly check those out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...