Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

    The better place to talk football.

Wissam Ben Yedder - Man United Linked


Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber

1232311955_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.1804537eff404c7e660d0ad80813874c.png

Man Utd agrees on personal terms with £35m star as Solskjaer eyes 3rd summer signing.

Managers are working hard trying to strengthen their squads during the summer transfer window so we’ll bring you all the latest news and gossip from around the globe. Today, Man Utd are pushing to sign Wissam Ben Yedder

Manchester United have agreed on personal terms with striker Wissam Ben Yedder ahead of a potential £35m move from Sevilla this summer, according to reports via the Express.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already secured deals to sign winger Daniel James from Swansea while defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka completed his move from Crystal Palace over the weekend but the United boss is expected to make a number of further changes to his squad before the start of the new season.

A new striker could be on the agenda as Romelu Lukaku is being strongly linked with a move to Inter Milan after hinting earlier in the summer he wants a new challenge and Ben Yedder has emerged as a potential replacement.

Reports last week claimed United had identified the French international hitman as a prime transfer target and are prepared to meet his £35m release clause in order to take him to Old Trafford this summer.

The Express are now citing  La Colina de Nervion as reporting that Man Utd have agreed on personal terms with Ben Yedder and are in pole position to sign the striker ahead of the likes of PSG and Barcelona – who’ve also been linked in recent weeks.

The Spanish publication claims the 28-year-old striker is keen to move to the Premier League and they suggest United may even push through a £35m deal even if Lukaku ends up staying at the club.

We’ll have to wait and see how things progress over the coming days but Ben Yedder would be an exciting signing for Man Utd as he’s developed into one of the most productive attackers in Spanish football in recent years.

The Frenchman provided 30 goals and 11 assists in his 54 appearances in all competitions last season so he’d certainly add a much-needed goal threat to the United attack if he does move to Old Trafford.

https://football-talk.co.uk/150796/man-utd-agree-personal-terms-with-35m-star-as-solskjaer-eyes-3rd-summer-signing/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I had high hopes for Lukaku when he first arrived and played and really thought he could become another Andy Cole but it never happened and even if he did stay I think he would see more bench time than anything else, shame really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/07/2019 at 09:02, CaaC (John) said:

I had high hopes for Lukaku when he first arrived and played and really thought he could become another Andy Cole but it never happened and even if he did stay I think he would see more bench time than anything else, shame really. 

I think he's lost of what made him as good as he was by bulking the fuck up. Sure, he's much stronger now but he doesn't seem anywhere near as quick as he was when he first joined you/his time at Everton. And he was already quite a physical striker, I don't think him bulking up the way he did was necessary. In modern football mobility seems more important than being able to physically dominate a centreback (which he could have done with plenty of centrebacks in the league before adding so much upper body muscle) - seems like he's fucked himself a bit. Did he lose pace with an injury and is this how he's decided to compensate? Because if not... seems a strange decision on his part/the part of United trainers advising him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

Probably the best bit of business I've seen them linked with this summer. Still not quite the right age range at 28 but he's not too expensive and would instantly improve their strongest lineup so I'd say fair enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he's lost of what made him as good as he was by bulking the fuck up. Sure, he's much stronger now but he doesn't seem anywhere near as quick as he was when he first joined you/his time at Everton. And he was already quite a physical striker, I don't think him bulking up the way he did was necessary. In modern football mobility seems more important than being able to physically dominate a centreback (which he could have done with plenty of centrebacks in the league before adding so much upper body muscle) - seems like he's fucked himself a bit. Did he lose pace with an injury and is this how he's decided to compensate? Because if not... seems a strange decision on his part/the part of United trainers advising him.

I just think football has gone beyond his capabilities, outgrown him so to speak.

Gone are the days where teams stick a big lump upfront. Now it's all about speed, movement, interchanging, all that kinda stuff. 

I think he can still probably be ok for the right team, but he's done at the top level now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I just think football has gone beyond his capabilities, outgrown him so to speak.

Gone are the days where teams stick a big lump upfront. Now it's all about speed, movement, interchanging, all that kinda stuff. 

I think he can still probably be ok for the right team, but he's done at the top level now. 

He seemed more mobile when he was at Everton. Now he's just huge, not fat mind you, he's just bulked up with so much muscle. Seems much less mobile. I don't know if he actually is less mobile, or if he just looks like it because he's so much bigger now. And maybe despite being the same speed, defenders see he looks less mobile and play more confidently?

I'd hate to fight him, but I also think he's made himself worse at football. He's a weird player though, for instance: he's got one hell of a cross on him - and he's got a terrible first touch. Yet in his position, his crossing isn't that much of a vital skill... whereas his first touch is. He's clearly not a bad player, but it's also not clear that he's a "good player" if you know what I mean.

And I don't think he was ever worth what United paid for him, it's probably best for all parties that he moves on to another club. If he really is interested in going to Italy, I think he might do well there in a slower paced league. Granted, I don't think he's ever going to be as good as it looked he might be when he was at Everton, but maybe he'll lose some of that bulk he put on and go back to being close to that player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

Lukaku used to be the perfect physique for a centre forward, strong, fast and powerful.

He definitely put on a shit ton of weight when he left us. I think he came out and said it was because Mourinho wanted him to be stronger but he just hasn't been the same player since. He also doesn't seem to use the extra weight now, he was much better with us at receiving the ball with his back to goal and spinning a defender to get one on one, and you barely see him do that now.

He doesn't do the things that made him a top striker anymore, he just plays like a fairly decent poacher who's pretty good in the air and he'll get about a dozen goals a season because he plays in a team that will create the majority of the game's chances in about half of their fixtures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Wissam Ben Yedder - Man United Linked
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Surprised no one else has come in for this even if the guy is a bit older. He's got the kind of skill to slot into a front-lineup and provide assistance if not goal-scoring. Apparently he's still waiting for United to make the deal happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Batard said:

5 year contract for a 29 year old is just another example of the daft shit that happens at Monaco. 

Not quite as bad as Koscielny's 5 year contract at Bordeaux xD

Good signing for Monaco anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Not quite as bad as Koscielny's 5 year contract at Bordeaux xD

Good signing for Monaco anyway.

I know why they do this, they believe this will discourage other clubs from trying to sign them if they have a good season. 

He's a great signing for Monaco, but only for next 2 seasons after that who knows

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • The topic was locked

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Sign up or subscribe to remove this ad.


×
×
  • Create New...