talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Climate Change

football forum

14 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Ive just ordered an EV, hopefully we don't have anymore lockdowns so I can get it by December 

Nice, what kind? It's been interesting seeing all the different options nowadays when before people were pretty much just forced to buy one kind of EV car... and while I think the Tesla's a cool piece of tech, I think it's a totally rubbish car (although I had fun driving it, but it doesn't feel like something put together by an actual car company lol)

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nice, what kind? It's been interesting seeing all the different options nowadays when before people were pretty much just forced to buy one kind of EV car... and while I think the Tesla's a cool piece of tech, I think it's a totally rubbish car (although I had fun driving it, but it doesn't feel like something put together by an actual car company lol)

I'm getting the Nissan X-Trail epower e4orce 4x4, it's the only 7 seater EV that i could find which i need having 4 kids. it has a small petrol generator which only charges the battery but doesn't drive the wheels but can power the front and rear motors directly if the battery is low and has a full EV mode where the generator wont come on until the battery gets really low. best of both worlds really, an EV that you don't have to plug in that charges while you drive  ..i hope more 7 seat options come out in the future but this will do for now

oiT0tOg.jpg

Msa0OQo.jpg

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

I'm getting the Nissan X-Trail epower e4orce 4x4, it's the only 7 seater EV that i could find which i need having 4 kids. it has a small petrol generator which only charges the battery but doesn't drive the wheels but can power the front and rear motors directly if the battery is low and has a full EV mode where the generator wont come on until the battery gets really low. best of both worlds really, an EV that you don't have to plug in that charges while you drive  ..i hope more 7 seat options come out in the future but this will do for now

oiT0tOg.jpg

Msa0OQo.jpg

Mate that is a hybrid not an EV 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Mate that is a hybrid not an EV 

I get your point mate but not really because it's driven only by electric motors and has a full EV mode switch, a hybrid can power the wheels too. it's a new class of vehicle :4_joy: ..it's basically an EV with a very low emissions petrol battery charger. sitting around for an hour to charge your car is not the way forward, the tech is just not there yet

Q2vs1eS.jpg

xBmi8kv.jpg

Edited by Happy Blue

9 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

He has ads in every vid because YouTube dont pay him for telling the truth 😂 ..it was warmer in the roman empire days though, must of been them trucks they had, nothing to do with the big ball of fire above us lol

@MUFC

9 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

He has ads in every vid because YouTube dont pay him for telling the truth 😂 ..it was warmer in the roman empire days though, must of been them trucks they had, nothing to do with the big ball of fire above us lol

@MUFC

On 10/07/2023 at 20:13, OrangeKhrush said:

wouldn't the solution be to get China and India to emmision levels of the rest of the world?

Their per capita emissions are lower than countries like the US and Australia. 

Honestly starting to think the worst thing that ever happened to the cause of climate change was the Chernobyl incident, and the 30 year death of nuclear power...  If developed economies had committed to a massive new nuclear program in the early 00's we'd have gone so much further than we have waiting for energy storage technologies to mature 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I need to do the numbers on the cost of charging an EV vs the use of petrol. Because my household electricity rate went up 37% this year, and petrol has stayed the same.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Honestly starting to think the worst thing that ever happened to the cause of climate change was the Chernobyl incident, and the 30 year death of nuclear power...  If developed economies had committed to a massive new nuclear program in the early 00's we'd have gone so much further than we have waiting for energy storage technologies to mature 

I am a nuclear power fan and contrary to the misinformation about it, it is rather clean and it's reusable in the sense that the reused water is ionized and the electrons are highly energised which is the catalyst to fission.

15 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

I get your point mate but not really because it's driven only by electric motors and has a full EV mode switch, a hybrid can power the wheels too. it's a new class of vehicle :4_joy: ..it's basically an EV with a very low emissions petrol battery charger. sitting around for an hour to charge your car is not the way forward, the tech is just not there yet

Q2vs1eS.jpg

xBmi8kv.jpg

My hybrid's got an EV switch though. But I never use EV mode because it's incredibly slow

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I need to do the numbers on the cost of charging an EV vs the use of petrol. Because my household electricity rate went up 37% this year, and petrol has stayed the same.

My worries about getting an EV right now are: 1.) my electricity provider is the highest cost energy company in the US, so I'm not convinced it'll actually save me any money, petrol prices here have dropped pretty significantly over the last year and a half as well, 2.) I'm not convinced the infrastructure for EVs is that great right now in terms of charging stations available (granted lots of Tesla stations here and more and more car manufacturers are signing deals with Tesla to use their chargers) and I worry about the impact on the electrical grid if EVs become as widespread as regular cars.

I'm quite happy with my Toyota hybrid and my wife's getting rid of her Mercedes to get another Toyota hybrid in the next year. I think for right now, hybrids are a pretty practical way to reduce our emissions as an individual without putting too much strain on the electrical grid. But at the end of the day, I think putting the onus on regular people to reduce emissions is a bit misguided when the vast majority of emissions comes from big companies and industries that should probably be forced to make changes for the good of the planet before everyone else is.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My hybrid's got an EV switch though. But I never use EV mode because it's incredibly slow

Which one did you get mate?  ..this being more EV hits 60mph in 7.seconds so no rocket ship but quick enough to over take etc

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Which one did you get mate?  ..this being more EV hits 60mph in 7.seconds so no rocket ship but quick enough to over take etc

Corolla Hybrid, mine's just a traditional hybrid though so it's not like yours really.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Corolla Hybrid, mine's just a traditional hybrid though so it's not like yours really.

Cool, nice car. yours is mainly driven by the engine isnt it with a small electric motor where as the x-trail i've ordered has 2 large motors front and rear as the engine only charges the battery

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Cool, nice car. yours is mainly driven by the engine isnt it with a small electric motor where as the x-trail i've ordered has 2 large motors front and rear as the engine only chargers the battery

Mine's basically just a Prius, but without looking like a car for dickheads. My wife's planning on getting a Rav4 hybrid, which is a much nicer hybrid that has better performance than the regular Rav4 - looking forward to when we finally get that tbh.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mine's basically just a Prius, but without looking like a car for dickheads. My wife's planning on getting a Rav4 hybrid, which is a much nicer hybrid that has better performance than the regular Rav4 - looking forward to when we finally get that tbh.

:4_joy:  ..the Rav4 is one of the best in class isn't it, nice interior too and decent fuel economy 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Happy Blue said:

:4_joy:  ..the Rav4 is one of the best in class isn't it, nice interior too and decent fuel economy 

Yeah I think it's the world's most popular crossover SUV (tbh I'm not sure what makes it a crossover SUV, looks like an SUV to me). Some of the trims have very nice interiors and yeah the fuel economy is great on them considering the size. Not that much worse than my much smaller and lighter car - I think it's got 2 electric motors instead of 1 like I've got.

I think of the EV SUVs, the one I like the look of the most is the Ford Mustang Mach-E. I was picked up by an Uber driver that had one and I thought "wow this is a really nice car" - like if Tesla put a car together that actually felt like a car and not a computer that's pretending to be a car.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I think it's the world's most popular crossover SUV (tbh I'm not sure what makes it a crossover SUV, looks like an SUV to me). Some of the trims have very nice interiors and yeah the fuel economy is great on them considering the size. Not that much worse than my much smaller and lighter car - I think it's got 2 electric motors instead of 1 like I've got.

I think of the EV SUVs, the one I like the look of the most is the Ford Mustang Mach-E. I was picked up by an Uber driver that had one and I thought "wow this is a really nice car" - like if Tesla put a car together that actually felt like a car and not a computer that's pretending to be a car.

It will be great family car for you when you get it and nice boot space for your guitar gear :4_joy: ..not keen on the mach -e, just looks like a giant cartoon car to me, the Audi Q7 is my favourite SUV which i've just sold, driving an Audi Q2 at the min but that will be going too when the X-Trail is built. waiting times are crazy right now because of the covid lockdowns

Edited by Happy Blue

EV cars are extremely pricey and hardly ever worth it,  and of course in my country we can't keep the power on.   Running invertors is fruitless due to it burning through cycles fast.   I am in the process of getting solar,  but it has already cost 250K for 5kw. 

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

EV cars are extremely pricey and hardly ever worth it,  and of course in my country we can't keep the power on.   Running invertors is fruitless due to it burning through cycles fast.   I am in the process of getting solar,  but it has already cost 250K for 5kw. 

You gonna get a battery (or 2) so you can keep power even if there's an outage?

14 hours ago, Harry said:

Nuclear power is great but it isn’t for Australia. We have a thin energy grid spread across a huge continent, it is hugely expensive to set up, we also lack water. Unfortunately we have an insane amount of uranium, that we can’t even use. Nowadays it is just a false flag used by fossil fuel to district people from renewables, which at this point in time are becoming more cost efficient and realistic than nuclear in Australia. We literally have the best climate in the world for renewables, our worst results are more efficient than Europe’s best because of the climate.

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My worries about getting an EV right now are: 1.) my electricity provider is the highest cost energy company in the US, so I'm not convinced it'll actually save me any money, petrol prices here have dropped pretty significantly over the last year and a half as well, 2.) I'm not convinced the infrastructure for EVs is that great right now in terms of charging stations available (granted lots of Tesla stations here and more and more car manufacturers are signing deals with Tesla to use their chargers) and I worry about the impact on the electrical grid if EVs become as widespread as regular cars.

I'm quite happy with my Toyota hybrid and my wife's getting rid of her Mercedes to get another Toyota hybrid in the next year. I think for right now, hybrids are a pretty practical way to reduce our emissions as an individual without putting too much strain on the electrical grid. But at the end of the day, I think putting the onus on regular people to reduce emissions is a bit misguided when the vast majority of emissions comes from big companies and industries that should probably be forced to make changes for the good of the planet before everyone else is.

As I was saying with nuclear energy, Illinois has the highest % of nuclear power in the USA, running an EV in Illinois os actually quite emission friendly outside of the terrible battery they have. Unfortunately we own a petrol car and a regular hybrid.. 

On 27/07/2023 at 23:55, OrangeKhrush said:

I am a nuclear power fan and contrary to the misinformation about it, it is rather clean and it's reusable in the sense that the reused water is ionized and the electrons are highly energised which is the catalyst to fission.

Definitely. 

It's a finite, non renewable resource obviously, but it's a fantastic carbon free generation option. And it doesn't introduce those huge imbalances between supply and demand that non-despatchable renewables cause.

And whilst it was incredibly expensive, that would definitely come down over time with committed investment, as some of the regulatory inertia and limited experienced talent pool are addressed.

On 28/07/2023 at 11:18, Spike said:

Nuclear power is great but it isn’t for Australia. We have a thin energy grid spread across a huge continent, it is hugely expensive to set up, we also lack water. Unfortunately we have an insane amount of uranium, that we can’t even use. Nowadays it is just a false flag used by fossil fuel to district people from renewables, which at this point in time are becoming more cost efficient and realistic than nuclear in Australia. We literally have the best climate in the world for renewables, our worst results are more efficient than Europe’s best because of the climate.

100% agree with that. 

Australia has zero nuclear capability, and no regulatory systems in place. It would be a 25 year project to get one plant up. And it would not be financially viable because the market being flooded with renewables makes wholesale prices negative half the time.

But Europe, Japan and the US, and major developing nations have a completely different calculus and could have done much more in this space.