talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Recommend an Album

football forum

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe passe to our Brtish members but shoegaze, madchester, and britpop are wonderful scenes that developed many amazing bands

My bloody valentine

ride

slowdive

happy mondays

inspiral carpets

stone roses

lush (<3 miki)

the charlatans

the verve

blur (their musical chops extend past parklife mind you)

pulp

elastica

yadda yadda yadda

the auteurs

Think I missed the shoegaze scene but britpop was around big time when I was growing up so bands like Blur and The Verve were most popular. Stone Roses I remember purely because their Fools Gold track on one of the FIFA games. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DMA's.

Leaving Oasis behind: DMA's interviewed – Messed!Up

One of my favourite bands. Not too sure about the direction their new album seems to be taking but their first two are nearly faultless in my opinion. 

Hills End (their first album), I can comfortably say I like I think every track and their second album is very good as well.

The lead singer has a great voice and is heavily influenced by Britpop.

On 07/04/2020 at 20:59, carefreeluke said:

Hit me up lads. 

@Mel81x @Machado @Rick @LFCMike

I've been listening to The Lathums a fair bit recently. New band so no debut album yet but a couple of EPs to get stuck into.

I've been meaning to give Sam Fender a proper listen for a while now but never got around to it. On my to do list this weekend

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I've been listening to The Lathums a fair bit recently. New band so no debut album yet but a couple of EPs to get stuck into.

I've been meaning to give Sam Fender a proper listen for a while now but never got around to it. On my to do list this weekend

Great Escape is a great tune. Apart from that though I can't get into them.

9 hours ago, Machado said:

Nirvana is widely associated to teenage angst so I guess it's something you're supposed to grow out of overtime, but I appreciate In Utero more than I ever did.

Favorite album of the 90's.

I think that is more due to their audience of dissociated teenagers of the gen-x in America. I've always thought their songs to be more poppy than that, a combo of late 80s college rock and punk music. Very fun music that I feel people have dissected and taken too seriously due to Kobain's personality cult, heroin addiction, and suicide.

The producer of the album is Steve Albini, engineer extroadinare and musician himself. While his two earlier bands (Rapeman and Big Black) are a lot more abrasive thematically and sonically, I suggest to you 'Shellac's At Action Park'. 

Hey @Spike I never got back to you on my thoughts on Angel Dust... but I liked it a lot. I'd heard a couple of songs off it before - but I'm not all that familiar with the band generally. It seems like they're one of those 90s bands that was on the cuting edge of experimenting and fusing different genres and I liked the album a lot. For me, I thought the opener and the song that came after it (Caffeine, I think) were a bit harder for me to get into... but after those 2 songs I was into the album and the sound of the band and I fully enjoyed the rest of it.

Cool album, thanks for the recommendation.

Anyone got any good Groovy/experimental/alternative metal?

I'm also into jazz rap, some alternative/hardcore hip hop and neo-soul or alternative r&b.

Apart from that, psychedelic rock, hard rock, some psychedelic pop and neo-psychedelia (procede with caution)

1 hour ago, Machado said:

I'm also into jazz rap, some alternative/hardcore hip hop and neo-soul or alternative r&b.

Apart from that, psychedelic rock, hard rock, some psychedelic pop and neo-psychedelia (procede with caution)

Digable Planets for jazz rap

Deftones, Pantera, Faith No More, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, for altern metal

• Administrator

India Arie or early Alicia Keys for neo-soul?

RHCP for psychedelic rock/pop, especially earlier albums. 

Try Earthless and Mutoid Man

And I'm not really sure what alternative metal is, but after looking on Wiki how about some White Zombie? They're one of those 90s metal/rock fusion acts that was pretty good - then the first 2 Rob Zombie albums if you like that.

Experimental... there's loads of ways you could read into that. There's those bands that blend a genre with another (or maybe more), there's prog & prog metal, and then there's other weirder stuff. I'm not all that into prog but Opeth's pretty classic. Also Devin Townsend's cool, lot of variety with him. I also like Polyphia - I don't know what you'd class them as. But I'll say prog.

For the bands that blend genres, I'd have to recommend Skeletonwitch if you're into thrash metal. Their first 4 albums are pretty thrash based but with elements of death & black metal infused. Their most recent album is more on the black metal side (in terms of composition, rather than like the typical "sound" of black metal I'd say). Fun band, lots of good songs. Nothing they do is really reinventing the wheel, it's just a good blend of different genres of metal to create something very metal. My favourite of theirs is "Breathing the Fire", but "Forever Abomination" is pretty good.

If you like Carcass... Exhumed & Cattle Decapitation are very much in the same vein.

And if you like death metal... particularly the legendary band Death, which was arguably the most inventive bands of the genre... I'd have to recommend Revocation. They're excellent.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Check out Mother’s Milk, their first with John Frusciante on guitar.

Then check out Freaky Styly (I think that’s the name)

Kiedis (used to at least) hates Faith No More and Mike Patton. He accused them of stealing his style and once threw a tantrum to a festival organiser to get Mr Bungle (Patton’s band, sounds nothing like the other two) thrown out. Patton said something like ‘We sold ten thousand records, and how many have they sold now? Fifty million?’

Check out Tomahawk and Fantomas, Patton’s metal supergroups. Not exactly my jam but someone might like them

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Check out Mother’s Milk, their first with John Frusciante on guitar.

Then check out Freaky Styly (I think that’s the name)

Nah I meant I didn't even know there was a genre called funk metal. I know RHCP were a bit out there but didn't really pay attention to the specific genre xD

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nah I meant I didn't even know there was a genre called funk metal. I know RHCP were a bit out there but didn't really pay attention to the specific genre xD

I don’t really think most funk metal is really very metal though tbh - Infectious Grooves aside. But they’ve got some pretty heavy riffs on those early RHCP albums. I think they liked to call themselves funk-punk... but I don’t think they’re very punk either. I just think of them as funky rockers tbh.

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

Kiedis (used to at least) hates Faith No More and Mike Patton. He accused them of stealing his style and once threw a tantrum to a festival organiser to get Mr Bungle (Patton’s band, sounds nothing like the other two) thrown out. Patton said something like ‘We sold ten thousand records, and how many have they sold now? Fifty million?’

Check out Tomahawk and Fantomas, Patton’s metal supergroups. Not exactly my jam but someone might like them

Mike Patton’s also in a thrash/hardcore supergroup with Dave Lombardo (Slayer’s excellent original drummer). It’s not really my thing either, and I’m big into thrash. But it’s also not the worst.

Does anyone like hip-hop? I'm not that keen on it to be completely honest but there's one album I absolutely adore. Distant Relatives by Nas and Damian Marley. Found it after I liked their song on FIFA 2010 World Cup, and the whole album is fire.

Archived