• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Cross Border Leagues

Recommended Posts

Could multi country leagues work? 

For smaller countries, competing with the best leagues is getting too tough and need innovation. Other sports have it, could football?

Fans in Ireland have researched and are looking to develop their proposals for an 'All Island' league.

https://allislandleague.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RevFan said:

Could multi country leagues work? 

For smaller countries, competing with the best leagues is getting too tough and need innovation. Other sports have it, could football?

Fans in Ireland have researched and are looking to develop their proposals for an 'All Island' league.

https://allislandleague.com

Aren't the Dutch and Belgian leagues on the verge of merging?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally it helps grow smaller nations too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aren't the Dutch and Belgian leagues on the verge of merging?

It has been put on hold indefinitely due to the coronavirus crisis...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RevFan said:

Could multi country leagues work? 

For smaller countries, competing with the best leagues is getting too tough and need innovation. Other sports have it, could football?

Fans in Ireland have researched and are looking to develop their proposals for an 'All Island' league.

https://allislandleague.com

And the MLS is made up of the best from both USA and Canada...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eco said:

And the MLS is made up of the best from both USA and Canada...

Not the tinpot sides though :ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nudge said:

It has been put on hold indefinitely due to the coronavirus crisis...

I still think they should do it tbh. I don't know why I feel this way though... and tbh part of me thinks it's "unnatural" that 2 leagues with their own histories should be merged together. But I do think overall it would benefit Dutch and Belgian football and help them against the big money of England, Spain, Germany and Italy when they face each other in Europe (and stop big clubs from poaching their players because they can't say no to fat piles of money considering the finances of the league).

But that opinion isn't rooted in any sort of fact at all, it's literally how I feel without knowing too much about Dutch/Belgian football other than these clubs: Ajax, Feyernoord, PSV, Standard Liege, Club Brugge and Anderlecht - and even then, the club of those I know the most about are Ajax because Ajax are legendary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I still think they should do it tbh. I don't know why I feel this way though... and tbh part of me thinks it's "unnatural" that 2 leagues with their own histories should be merged together. But I do think overall it would benefit Dutch and Belgian football and help them against the big money of England, Spain, Germany and Italy when they face each other in Europe (and stop big clubs from poaching their players because they can't say no to fat piles of money considering the finances of the league).

But that opinion isn't rooted in any sort of fact at all, it's literally how I feel without knowing too much about Dutch/Belgian football other than these clubs: Ajax, Feyernoord, PSV, Standard Liege, Club Brugge and Anderlecht - and even then, the club of those I know the most about are Ajax because Ajax are legendary.

Isn't Belgium undergoing a lot of issues politically between their Dutch and French speakers? Might cause more issues if their league was the actually merge with the Dutch one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eco said:

Isn't Belgium undergoing a lot of issues between their Dutch and French speakers? Might cause more issues if their league was the actually merge with the Dutch one. 

Fuck if I know, I do know that most of Belgium speaks Dutch - but in Brussels they mostly speak French. No idea of any problems between them though, although it wouldn't surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The A-League.

Also FC Andorra, San Marino FC and Vaduz.

I'm trying to think of others. The MLS seems to be the obvious example here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I still think they should do it tbh. I don't know why I feel this way though... and tbh part of me thinks it's "unnatural" that 2 leagues with their own histories should be merged together. But I do think overall it would benefit Dutch and Belgian football and help them against the big money of England, Spain, Germany and Italy when they face each other in Europe (and stop big clubs from poaching their players because they can't say no to fat piles of money considering the finances of the league).

But that opinion isn't rooted in any sort of fact at all, it's literally how I feel without knowing too much about Dutch/Belgian football other than these clubs: Ajax, Feyernoord, PSV, Standard Liege, Club Brugge and Anderlecht - and even then, the club of those I know the most about are Ajax because Ajax are legendary.

I posted it before in the other thread, but while it would surely be better for the bigger clubs, I'm not sure how it would affect the smaller ones that would have to remain in their respective domestic leagues. With most of the money and interest shifting to the new joint league, domestic leagues would become second tier championships and will probably struggle with generating revenue? I know the proponents of the merger claim that the money from the new joint league would trickle down to the smaller clubs outside of it, but somehow I'm skeptical...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I posted it before in the other thread, but while it would surely be better for the bigger clubs, I'm not sure how it would affect the smaller ones that would have to remain in their respective domestic leagues. With most of the money and interest shifting to the new joint league, domestic leagues would become second tier championships and will probably struggle with generating revenue? I know the proponents of the merger claim that the money from the new joint league would trickle down to the smaller clubs outside of it, but somehow I'm skeptical...

Looking at what they've proposed in Ireland, they have proposals to try and ensure the future of the domestic league at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aren't the Dutch and Belgian leagues on the verge of merging?

I can actually see a lot of sense in that. Reckon you'd potentially have that league become accepted into 'the top 6' of leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The ABA (Adriatic Basketball Association), features clubs from the former Yugoslavia (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Slovenia).

Examples like the ABA or the KHL (Kontinental Hockey League) show that it can work in other sports, and as a result of smaller countries banding together to try and compete with larger nations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eco said:

Isn't Belgium undergoing a lot of issues politically between their Dutch and French speakers? Might cause more issues if their league was the actually merge with the Dutch one. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Celtic are not the only team in green and white Desmond has an interest in.

Last October he was invited to invest in Dublin club Shamrock Rovers. It was a club he watched as a boy (selling match programmes) in the late 1950s and 1960s when Rovers would pack out their Milltown ground. He also saw another Dublin side, Drumcondra, face Atletico Madrid in the 1958 European Cup’s qualifiers.

“It appealed to me to invest in the club because after they went into a major decline, they were rescued by their supporters,” he says of Shamrock Rovers. “They built a whole new model: stadium, new training ground, under-age teams, developing a youth policy. They are trying to keep their young players at home and allow them to finish their education. I like that a lot. They’ve a very good young chief executive in there called Brendan Murray, who really impressed me. I decided to invest on certain terms.

“And they’ve the same jersey as Celtic, so no confusion. With Brexit, it could be good if Rovers develop some young players. We could trial them and vice versa, we could conversely send some of our players on loan. Co-operation, nothing formal.”

Rovers are ambitious, sit eight points clear at the top of the League of Ireland at mid-season and last night hosted AC Milan in a Europa League qualifier, losing 2-0.

But, as with Scotland, Irish domestic football faces challenges sporting and economic. Desmond likes the All-Island League idea proposed by businessman Kieran Lucid. It would bring clubs from both sides of the Irish border into one competition. But it has opponents on and off the pitch.

“If the structure is on an all-island basis, we could progress,” Desmond says of Irish football. “We have to look at the size of the island and replicate the rugby model. They have provinces and clubs, north and south, and they face each other on a weekly basis. While there are political and cultural differences, they are unified in developing the sport of rugby on the island of Ireland. I’d like to see that happening (in football).

“I’d like to see an all-island soccer team and then players wouldn’t have to pick allegiance and so on. We’d have something we could unify around. Is a Unionist any less of a Unionist because he supports an all-Ireland rugby team? I don’t think so. Is a Republican going to be less of a Republican because he supports an all-Ireland soccer team with Unionists playing on it? I don’t think so.”

He sees this in the context of a changing Ireland and a changing world and change isn’t stopping. Nor is Desmond.

“We have had an influx of people from all over. When I grew up, you saw no one from Europe or South America or Africa. Now we’ve a whole village of Brazilians in Ireland, Nigerians, Romanians, etc; we’re a confluence of nationalities. They have all got their culture and histories and we learnt to embrace these differences.

“Change happens because of leadership. The powers that be on both sides can make this happen. It is in everybody’s interest to make the island of Ireland a more competitive soccer force.”

Dermot Desmond, Celtic's owner and an investor in Shamrock Rovers, wants to see an All-Island league in Ireland. Following their rugby counterparts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I wouldn't mind a British league personally 

I don't like the idea of it, as there is no historic rivalry there. Seen proposals for a 'Czechoslovakia', 'Yugoslavia' and 'Former USSR' leagues with the clear difference that these clubs used to play against each other and actually have rivalries.

Would Scottish and English clubs really care that much? I don't see any benefit for it. I'd much rather play Dundee, Dunfermline or Hearts again (in an expanded Scottish top league) than merge and go to places I've never heard of in England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

I don't like the idea of it, as there is no historic rivalry there. Seen proposals for a 'Czechoslovakia', 'Yugoslavia' and 'Former USSR' leagues with the clear difference that these clubs used to play against each other and actually have rivalries.

Would Scottish and English clubs really care that much? I don't see any benefit for it. I'd much rather play Dundee, Dunfermline or Hearts again (in an expanded Scottish top league) than merge and go to places I've never heard of in England.

Thats fair. It would probably only benefit Celtic and rangers who would suddenly have massive cash come in from the english league. I think though a british league excluding English teams might work though. Can understand why a lot of people wouldn't like it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A British league excluding English teams would just be the Old Firm dicking everybody. Same as at present really. The Scottish Challenge Cup now features teams from every country in the UK plus the Irish Republic, not sure how it has gone down with Scottish fans mind. Been to a couple of fixtures in it and the standard is a bit patchy - I love it all the same but god knows it wouldn't be sustainable. Teams that barely crack 300 or 400 gates as it is aren't going to fare well with 600 mile away days across the Irish Sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement