talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Championship 2019/20 Play-offs (Fulham Promoted)

football forum

1 hour ago, Danny said:

This does read that you didn’t watch the game because tbh mate we were the better side and hadn’t looked like conceding, the red card completely changed the game and we then went 1-0 down to a screamer, other than that Swansea created very little. Very little to do with pressure today as was the case against Barnsley.

But the return game is big for us even if it does put us into the under dog bracket.

You had a fucking penalty against you saved. Shut your shit eater boy. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Danny said:

This does read that you didn’t watch the game because tbh mate we were the better side and hadn’t looked like conceding, the red card completely changed the game and we then went 1-0 down to a screamer, other than that Swansea created very little. Very little to do with pressure today as was the case against Barnsley.

But the return game is big for us even if it does put us into the under dog bracket.

To be fair, I said nothing about who was the better side, just looking at it from a results perspective. You might think that was one of your best performances although I think being honest, if that was you know you'd have been ahead well before the controversial moments in the game.

I think you got to be a bit real about the situation. You've always been playing catch up all season. You've never been in the position where you have it to lose really, always been outside the Top 2. Then your last two league games you get in the position where it is in your hands and don't take it. 

No doubt most people would have expected Brentford to be favourites for the playoffs and you have lost the first leg, whether you feel it was undeserved or not. You have lost it.

For me, that's not coincidence, there has to be something in handling that pressure and why you aren't quite at your free flowing best of late.

Now you are behind, I'd actually expect the tension to be relieved, I would expect far more from you now as you deal better without the expectancy. Just my opinion of course.

6 hours ago, Danny said:

Don’t think you were THAT much better tbf, it’s not like Swansea weren’t doing some stuff on the break. The red definitely ruined your chances of winning though. 

31 minutes ago, Lucas said:

To be fair, I said nothing about who was the better side, just looking at it from a results perspective. You might think that was one of your best performances although I think being honest, if that was you know you'd have been ahead well before the controversial moments in the game.

I think you got to be a bit real about the situation. You've always been playing catch up all season. You've never been in the position where you have it to lose really, always been outside the Top 2. Then your last two league games you get in the position where it is in your hands and don't take it. 

No doubt most people would have expected Brentford to be favourites for the playoffs and you have lost the first leg, whether you feel it was undeserved or not. You have lost it.

For me, that's not coincidence, there has to be something in handling that pressure and why you aren't quite at your free flowing best of late.

Now you are behind, I'd actually expect the tension to be relieved, I would expect far more from you now as you deal better without the expectancy. Just my opinion of course.

Again it’s an argument on form, we’ve not been our free flowing selves for a while. It’s predated us having it in our own hands by 2 games. No one was mentioning pressure or us bottling when we played badly against Derby and Preston, it’s turned into a buzz word strangely. The fact of it is that we went 7 games with 7 wins and the last two we scraped out. We didn’t turn up in a position to take promotion from West Brom in great form on the pitch, we had already been struggling and the Stoke and Barnsley games cemented that. The only game we’ve bottled was against Barnsley and I agree with you there that this is the first time we’ve been seen as favourites rather than little old Brentford, we just had to beat Barnsley and we didn’t turn up at all. But even then, Barnsley were in form and we were falling out of it. It wasn’t like champagne football had just suddenly stopped as it came into our hands.

Last night we were solid, good performances all around against a good Swansea side with a massive threat in Rhian Brewster. They had some chances but overall we didn’t really look like conceding and I think our goal was coming had it stayed 11 men on the pitch, we were slowly overwhelming them and the chances were there. The red card completely changes the game, it’s not even a foul. He cleanly wins the ball, that has little to do with pressure and everything to do with bad refereeing. And even then it took Swansea an absolute screamer to score.

I’m looking forward to Wednesday night, I think the biggest thing for us now is not that the pressure is off, cos it isn’t, everyone views us as the side who’s bottling it, who should still be favourites but can’t handle the pressure, but I think the team now are rightfully pissed off that such a big game was given away by poor refereeing. Hopefully that anger might kick start us on from Wednesday after what has been a 4/5 game run of poor form.

21 minutes ago, Rick said:

Don’t think you were THAT much better tbf, it’s not like Swansea weren’t doing some stuff on the break. The red definitely ruined your chances of winning though. 

If you compare chances we had the better and we looked the most like scoring, we’d shut Swansea out fairly well. It’s always going to be a tough game and it was, but we were better up until the red. We didn’t look like conceding a lot of pressure up until the red, and we looked like we might grab a goal up until the red.

Fulham are missing Mitrovic. Getting crosses in but hardly anyone there to attack it. 

We're doing alright so far. Think we have the slight edge just based on the chances so far. We've had one great chance and a couple of decent chances have fallen to Glatzel but Smithies has barely had to do anything bar the Onomah chance just then. 

Cardiff looked threatening and energetic at kickoff but gradually Fulham have taken control and brought the tempo to where they like it. 

Unless something radical changes I don't see Cardiff turning this around.

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Cardiff looked threatening and energetic at kickoff but gradually Fulham have taken control and brought the tempo to where they like it. 

Unless something radical changes I don't see Cardiff turning this around.

In all honesty, we've had an unexpectedly good season and fair play to Harris for that. However, this was always going to be a big ask to win the play offs when you have Fulham, Brentford and even Swansea involved. 

Tie is over. 

Kebano free kick extends Fulham's lead. 

2-0

Can't complain too much really. We did well in the first half but Fulham came out in the second half and we barely got a sniff of the ball, let alone get chances. 

Hopefully they beat Swansea (if it happens) in the final. 

10 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

In all honesty, we've had an unexpectedly good season and fair play to Harris for that. However, this was always going to be a big ask to win the play offs when you have Fulham, Brentford and even Swansea involved. 

Yeah as the game settled it felt like the technical quality took over. Cardiff obviously did the right thing trying to pre-empt that, start the game at a high tempo, get in Fulham's faces and get a foothold in the tie before that happened. 

It's just unlucky that Fulham handled it well until they eventually got control, and then got two quality goals as Kabano puts that free kick in. 

Credit to Harris anyway.

I thought Cardiff were poor if honest. Fulham were better in all departments for me. Deserved lead.

Cardiff, for a limited side, are normally good at what they do but I think they will admit they didn't get the basics of their own game right tonight. The passion, the competitiveness, the fight. They seemed a bit too flat IMO.

Tall order to turn that around now, but you never know. They came back from 3-0 down to us and I consider us a better team than Fulham for sure. If they fight and scrap and take the lead early, they might just make Fulham nervy.

And when teams have it all to lose, they can get majorly edgy.

• The title was changed to Championship 2019/20 Play-offs (Fulham Promoted)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived