talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

American Politics Discussion

football forums

21 minutes ago, Azeem said:

I love it. The Steve Mobs and apple stuff

Nice, It just makes me uncomfortable watching Homer who used to be a bit if a dumb, but accepting guy, behave like a complete bigot and wanker in those seasons. There is a reason he is called jerkass Homer

54 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nice, It just makes me uncomfortable watching Homer who used to be a bit if a dumb, but accepting guy, behave like a complete bigot and wanker in those seasons. There is a reason he is called jerkass Homer

in Homer's defense he was quite accepting of the Jordanian family in the beginning. It was Moe and Lenny who spoiled him but he eventually comes around

On 07/08/2024 at 17:45, Tommy said:

Just saw Walz's first speech as running mate, and he seems awesome. 

Yeah he seems like a great human, and very authentic. However I wish she had just picked Josh Shapiro given the extent to which Pennsylvania will be the state that determines who wins the election.

On 02/09/2024 at 07:42, Harry said:

Yeah he seems like a great human, and very authentic. However I wish she had just picked Josh Shapiro given the extent to which Pennsylvania will be the state that determines who wins the election.

Thing is I think she can win Pennsylvania without Shapiro... but I'm not sure she can win a state like Michigan with him. I wanted Mark Kelly for a number of reasons, namely because having 2 candidates from border states sort of negates the fear mongering about Mexicans coming in by Trump & Vance.

I think it had to be a midwesterner though, because of the way the rest of the US feels about California - so I do think Walz has a broader appeal than Shapiro tbh.

32 minutes ago, Azeem said:

You think it’s funny (because it is) BUT speaking from experience there are sections of the Hispanic community (Mexicans mostly in my experience) that are incredibly salty about ‘illegal immigration’ particularly against Venezuelans and are parroting the talking points of conservatives of the last forty year. Stealing jobs, criminals, drugs, not paying tax, etc.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

You think it’s funny (because it is) BUT speaking from experience there are sections of the Hispanic community (Mexicans mostly in my experience) that are incredibly salty about ‘illegal immigration’ particularly against Venezuelans and are parroting the talking points of conservatives of the last forty year. Stealing jobs, criminals, drugs, not paying tax, etc.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkWGCZS-TR9Bvwb-VLsw-

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Spike said:

A lot of Cuban-Americans, close to half, are Republicans as well anyway. Then add the fact that Latino-Americans generally are a lot more religious which also works in the favour of the Republicans.

While it seems crazy that any minority would support the Republican party there are definitely reasons, not relating to race or immigration, that explains support from a chunk of Latin-Americans.

4 hours ago, 6666 said:

A lot of Cuban-Americans, close to half, are Republicans as well anyway. Then add the fact that Latino-Americans generally are a lot more religious which also works in the favour of the Republicans.

While it seems crazy that any minority would support the Republican party there are definitely reasons, not relating to race or immigration, that explains support from a chunk of Latin-Americans.

That’s completely different. Cuban Americans are mainly comprised of post-revolution exiles. They have particular bond to pick with the democratic for their failures on the bay of pigs invasion under JFK.

In 1940s Mass Communication was a nascent field and prevalent paradigm was that of powerful effects of media, that media has direct powerful effects on shaping perceptions. This was supported by an event in 1938 when a Radio Station aired an episode of an alien invasion on Halloween in New Jersey and many people actually believed it causing a nation wide panic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(1938_radio_drama)

But a study was conducted for the 1948 (I think) Presidential elections by Paul Lazarsfeld to guage people's voting preferences based on media exposure. It found that there were four categories of voters.

Early deciders, who made up their mind and voted accordingly regardless how media presented stuff. Waivers, people who thought of changing vote after watching media but eventually voted for their intial choice. Converts, as implied who changed vote after media exposure and crystalizers, people who just made up their mind on the voting day who to vote for based on media exposure.

Study found Early deciders and Waivers formed the majority and concluded media doesn't have powerful effects but rather limited effects on shaping perceptions.

The study also gave the idea of two-step flow of communication. It found that people were more influenced by how people around them interpreted media content rather than direct effect of media i.e Famous YouTuber doing his reaction of Trump Kamla debate might influence you more than watching debate yourself or even your dad or uncle giving his analysis might influence you more

This study was monumental as it brought a new paradigm in the world of communication studies and gave impetus to further studies that shape our discussions till today. 

56 minutes ago, Dave said:

To think there's people out there that thought Trump did well last night.

It's crazy seeing this on the internet. I think it's a little weird how people have decided they're so invested in political causes like this that they'll reject the evidence their eyes and ears are trying to give them because their egos can't let them back down from their support of bad things.

20 hours ago, Azeem said:

Speaking of Latino-Americans being more religious I came across this talking point that Catholic Charity institutions help illegal immigration from Latin America bcz they want to maintain good number of Catholics in the country. How true is that ?

It sounds like bullshit but exactly the sort of bullshit organised religion likes to do, so I'm gonna agree with you despite either of us having no evidence for or against.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's crazy seeing this on the internet. I think it's a little weird how people have decided they're so invested in political causes like this that they'll reject the evidence their eyes and ears are trying to give them because their egos can't let them back down from their support of bad things.

Trump got heemed by Kamala.
Trump got heemed by the moderators.
Kamala also got heemed by the moderators but much less so than Donny Dumps.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

It sounds like bullshit but exactly the sort of bullshit organised religion likes to do, so I'm gonna agree with you despite either of us having no evidence for or against.

The question is asked on Quora as well and rule of internet is if it's asked on Quora it is notable enough lol

https://www.quora.com/Do-you-believe-that-Catholic-Charities-and-other-organizations-involved-in-assisting-migrants-enter-the-U-S-illegally