talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

American Politics Discussion

football forum

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Depends on the organization. I know some businesses let their employees off on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and other businesses don't. 

I get MLK day off.

It does depend on the organization, but not everyone gives every federal holiday off & many companies give as few holidays as possible off because that's just how those companies operate. Sometimes state holidays are favoured over federal holidays too. Like in California, most people won't get Columbus day off. But a decent number of them get Cesar Chavez day off.

But federal employees will be quite pleased they get another day off. Because they get all federal holidays off.

Florida, Texas and Georgia are all worrying states in terms of you can see what the GOP's schemes are for the future of America...

and this new law in Florida, requiring students and faculty to report their political views to the state, is bizarre... https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/education/559881-florida-gov-signs-law-requiring-students-and-faculty-be

I don't think anyone, regardless of their political affiliation, should support anything like this. I think it's makes the US's slippery slope into fascism all the more slippery.

• Upvote 1

So I've heard bill Cosby has been released even though he is guilty because of some technicality. Can someone explain this to me 

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So I've heard bill Cosby has been released even though he is guilty because of some technicality. Can someone explain this to me 

he got released because of some technicality

16 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I read an article that explained it… but I’m going to be honest, I didn’t really understand it xD

@Eco & @Cicero might be able to explain it better - @Cicero’s explained American laws that I don’t understand to me in nice short definitions.

But I’ll give explaining it a shot in the way I understand it.

So in the 2000s, the prosecutors office had these allegations against Cosby but though they would be impossible to prove in criminal court. So to give the victim some kind of justice, they promised Cosby they wouldn’t go after him in criminal court.

This apparently meant he could have to testify under oath in a non-criminal trial by the victim, so she could get some money out of Cosby at court. So in this civil trial, he gave testimony on how he drugged women to molest them.

Then a new head prosecutor was in charge of criminal cases in that state. And they took Cosby to court for criminal proceedings and used his testimony where he admitted the crimes against him.

So on appeal, I think what happened is they said Cosby was denied his right to not self-incriminate himself(?) by that initial promise to not be prosecuted for these crimes leading him to be truthful in court.

It seems weird and doesn’t really make sense to me, but I think that’s what happened.

I studied law at uni for a bit, but yeah that’s basically the issue. Sexual assault cases are always difficult. 

In a nutshell, on a moral level he deserves to rot in prison. In a court of law however, due process is everything. Prosecutors fucked that up by granting immunity to Cosby to testify in a sexual assault, he said/she said, civil case. Years later, prosecutors used that same testimony to bring upon a criminal case. 

Can’t grant someone immunity in a court of law and then back down. That’s the 5th amendment protecting Cosby. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

I studied law at uni for a bit, but yeah that’s basically the issue. Sexual assault cases are always difficult. 

In a nutshell, on a moral level he deserves to rot in prison. In a court of law however, due process is everything. Prosecutors fucked that up by granting immunity to Cosby to testify in a sexual assault, he said/she said, civil case. Years later, prosecutors used that same testimony to bring upon a criminal case. 

Can’t grant someone immunity in a court of law and then back down. That’s the 5th amendment protecting Cosby. 

This is much better, and more concise than my explanation. 

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2021 at 08:32, El Profesor said:

Just say a video of Biden using the term "latinx". 

This has to be the most pathetic empire of all time. 

It's pretty cringe but a lot of Americanised Latinos use it. I imagine people actually from Latin America find the whole thing embarrassing. For me, it's another example of importing cultural issues from America.

• Upvote 1

On 25/06/2021 at 09:32, El Profesor said:

Just say a video of Biden using the term "latinx". 

This has to be the most pathetic empire of all time. 

Why? 

Latino are men, Latina are women. Latinx is meant to include all. Now sure how being more inclusive also results in being the 'most pathetic empire of all time'. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's pretty cringe but a lot of Americanised Latinos use it. I imagine people actually from Latin America find the whole thing embarrassing. For me, it's another example of importing cultural issues from America.

Again, why? 

Out of all the things to complain about, this one boggles my mind. 

The language is heavily based in genders, so instead of referring to women in Mexico as 'Latinos' because you, men and all that, we say Latinx which is meant to include both men and women. 

5 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Sad. 

So the guy wants to go home, but also comes to the capital with bombs? Something doesn't make sense. 

Obviously he is upset about the Afghanistan situation, which is fair as it's effecting a lot of people and is a tragedy, but instead of doing something to affect real change, he will now be lumped in with all the other lonies that have done similar stunts. 

Hope this gets resolved without any deaths, but this man needs some help. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Again, why? 

Out of all the things to complain about, this one boggles my mind. 

The language is heavily based in genders, so instead of referring to women in Mexico as 'Latinos' because you, men and all that, we say Latinx which is meant to include both men and women. 

Who is complaining? Why do you automatically assume that upset about something and get up my arse about it? Why do you feel the need to explain it to me as if I'm an idiot that doesn't understand how Spanish works? Why does America feel the need to alter a very old language to suit it's cultural conformity? Should I do it to French as well? Lx fromage? What about the rest of the language? XX pequenX gatX negrX

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Who is complaining? Why do you automatically assume that upset about something and get up my arse about it? Why do you feel the need to explain it to me as if I'm an idiot that doesn't understand how Spanish works? Why does America feel the need to alter a very old language to suit it's cultural conformity? Should I do it to French as well? Lx fromage? What about the rest of the language? XX pequenX gatX negrX

Well, you and @El Profesor are bringing attention to it, so I would say that you both are complaining about it. Whether you want to say it's prove that 'America is the worst empire', or that it's 'cringy' still is complaining about the use the language .When in this very reply, in which you ask why America, 'feels the need to alter very old language', is complaining about the actions within America. 

If you think I was calling you an idiot by explaining the language, then you need to relax, because I never said anything about you being an idiot nor was it my intention to talk down to you. I was simply stating why Latinx has come about in case you didn't know, and the same for @El Profesor, as I don't expect everyone to understand WHY things are done in this country, so I was simply trying to explain in case you didn't know. 

Also, language is fluid and is always changing. Do we still speak in Old English? No, because language changes and evolves over time, so it's most certainly incorrect to say we as Americans feel the NEED to change a language, and the language does that itself naturally. In fact, it would highly irregular if Language didn't evolve...

Lastly, you say that when you get upset about something, that I get up your arse about it? That's simply not true. I leave a lot alone because it's honestly not worth my time. You constantly bash America, yet you remain here. Now, I don't know all the reasoning which is why I don't judge, but in all honesty, I'm not sure why you get all emotional when someone, particular myself, tries to respond to you with a differing view then yours? 

Absolutely nothing I said was an attack on your personally. Nothing. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Eco said:

Sad. 

So the guy wants to go home, but also comes to the capital with bombs? Something doesn't make sense. 

Obviously he is upset about the Afghanistan situation, which is fair as it's effecting a lot of people and is a tragedy, but instead of doing something to affect real change, he will now be lumped in with all the other lonies that have done similar stunts. 

Hope this gets resolved without any deaths, but this man needs some help. 

He's an idiot.

"I don't want to die, I want to go home" ...well maybe then don't make terroristic threats... because he's not going to go home, he's either going to die at the hands of the police or get arrested.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's an idiot.

"I don't want to die, I want to go home" ...well maybe then don't make terroristic threats... because he's not going to go home, he's either going to die at the hands of the police or get arrested.

Agree. 

I'm livid about the whole Afghanistan situation as well, but there is a way to handle a situation, and about 500 ways NOT to. He choose one of the latter. 

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to Texas Directive on School Books "If you have holocaust books, you must also have anti-holocaust books"