talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham - Wednesday 16th December, 2020

football forum

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Let's be real, that happens to anyone else just moments before the opposition score a game winner, we'd all be fuming. 

That's a foul personally. 

I’ve seen a player put Xabi Alonso in a headlock in the run up to a goal. That’s a foul.

Dier’s gone down soft (and with a bit of a delayed reaction) and wasn’t even marking the player who got free in the box. There’s a lot more blatant shite that happens in the box in corners that never gets mentioned.

VAR ref took their sweet time reviewing it because they wanted to take it away, but I think even they found it too difficult to justify.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Storts said:

They have missed it, in real time the ref missed it. VAR is a shambles and inconsistent. 

I mean he was fouled. What do you expect him to do? You should be able to expect a ref and a video ref to get it right honestly. But whatever I don’t care that much, it’s over and I have bigger frustrations with the game and our failure to put it away earlier. But to deny you got away with one is laughable. 

Some referees absolutely would give that, so in that sense we did get away with one, but that doesn't mean it was a foul. Henderson didn't stop him getting to the ball, he stopped himself getting to the ball by throwing himself to the ground. What do I expect him to do? Try and defend. He could easily have got back to challenge the header if he'd rolled Henderson. If Henderson continues blocking him off, then it becomes a foul, but it's incredibly soft if you want a foul for what's little more than a nudge, and the referee wasn't giving soft fouls all game.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve seen a player put Xabi Alonso in a headlock in the run up to a goal. That’s a foul.

Dier’s gone down soft (and with a bit of a delayed reaction) and wasn’t even marking the player who got free in the box. There’s a lot more blatant shite that happens in the box in corners that never gets mentioned.

VAR ref took their sweet time reviewing it because they wanted to take it away, but I think even they found it too difficult to justify.

That isn't the point? xD

The point is Dier is essentially put out of commission which left Toby to mark both Williams and Firmino. This foul (which it is) obstructed play and the goal shouldn't of stood. Spurs get a corner, Kane does a cheeky screen on Fabinho which left Williams having to mark both Toby and Dier and Dier scores the winner, you'd be fuming. 

I disagree, only reason he’s not able to mark Williams is because he went down soft as fuck. Alderweireld probably should have stuck with his man, who’s better to give a free header too - Bobby Firmino or a kid who was playing in the conference last year?

Way worse contact happens regularly in the box without anyone batting an eyelid. If VAR was meant to radically change football into a minimal/non-contact game... then fair enough. But I’m not sure that’s what VAR’s meant to be there for.

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I disagree, only reason he’s not able to mark Williams is because he went down soft as fuck. Alderweireld probably should have stuck with his man, who’s better to give a free header too - Bobby Firmino or a kid who was playing in the conference last year?

Way worse contact happens regularly in the box without anyone batting an eyelid. If VAR was meant to radically change football into a minimal/non-contact game... then fair enough. But I’m not sure that’s what VAR’s meant to be there for.

He went down soft as fuck but the way Henderson pushed his back meant that he was never going to be able to follow the run

2 hours ago, Danny said:

He went down soft as fuck but the way Henderson pushed his back meant that he was never going to be able to follow the run

That, I agree with more. It’s a more reasonable take.

But as you said...

2 hours ago, Danny said:

That Henderson/Dier thing is a foul in terms of a clear obstruction but Dier has taken a dive which has made it even worse for him imo

Dier sort of fucked himself and Spurs by diving (which you can’t really blame him, because players for years have sort of had it engrained in them they need to go down to get the ref to see).

If VAR is meant to do its job right, the goal should be looked at and they’ll see whether he’s been obstructed or not. But instead he goes down soft and makes it look like he’s trying to con the referee and that’s what they see in the slow-mo.

Idk what players are supposed to do. We’ve some refs that won’t call anything unless a player goes down, soft or not. We’ve got some that are a bit more reasonable. And way more are just wildly inconsistent.

40 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Some Spurs fans have turned into Mourinho.

Not that I think it’s happened to @Storts but that will happen with others. He does have a way of getting the fans on side and sometimes fans will become a bit narrow-minded or deluded because of it. This is particularly true when his team is successful, the fans can reason and relate to his antics. 

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Not that I think it’s happened to @Storts but that will happen with others. He does have a way of getting the fans on side and sometimes fans will become a bit narrow-minded or deluded because of it. This is particularly true when his team is successful, the fans can reason and relate to his antics. 

Oh mate our fans love him. I'm definitely in the minority on this one.

Not to say I don't get it though, this is a fanbase starved of success - they've buying into it thinking we are going to win things. I'm not sold. I also hate the football - I'd care more if I was allowed in the ground mind you. Paying all that money to see that football... no thanks 

35 minutes ago, Storts said:

Oh mate our fans love him. I'm definitely in the minority on this one.

Not to say I don't get it though, this is a fanbase starved of success - they've buying into it thinking we are going to win things. I'm not sold. I also hate the football - I'd care more if I was allowed in the ground mind you. Paying all that money to see that football... no thanks 

Well, can you imagine what Chelsea fans were like after his first-ever season at the club? I was influenced by his propaganda, words, style as well.  It's happened at most clubs he's been at, such as Inter and even Real Madrid. The fans get caught in a bubble because the results give some kind of justification to his actions, it's 100 mph. As soon as the results start going though, that's when things start going sour and it depends on how long he stays around in that period. Does he leave before things get too bad? Or does he leave early enough where then he can say, it ended a bit sourly but I did and won this, this, and this which maintains his reputation. 

The trophies and success are always something he'll point to and he's recently become very active on Instagram which is another avenue for his propaganda so to speak.

He's very clever in certain ways. 

Archived