The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham - Wednesday 16th December, 2020

football forum

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Stan said:

can't agree with Jose there.

Spurs had 2 or 3 good chances to get in front but other than that, it was nearly all Liverpool. Most of the game was played in Spurs' half.

Any manager that acts surprised they lost to us when they give us 70+% possession, even if you had some good chances, arguably the better chances, is a manager I don’t understand. When you give us so many chances... and many of our chances were REALLY good chances with bad finishes... it shouldn’t be a surprise that some of those many chances end up in your goal.

You’d think a manager that’s big on playing the percentages would realise that about playing the percentages.

I’d have said he was right if we didn’t create much and got 2 goals. But we played well against a side happy to sit deep and go for counters.

But it’s Mourinho, he’s got his persona he uses with the media as a manager... and he’s never going to lose graciously in a big match. He’s always going to say his side was the best, they deserved to win, and it’s an injustice against football. So I do understand him. He’s always been a bit of a bitter narcissistic twat. The “special one” - only a cunt calls themself that.

And obviously I’m very biased in this case... but if it was random side making loads of chances vs extraordinarily defensive counter-attacking side and the side that created more wins... I’d always say it was deserved.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Any manager that acts surprised they lost to us when they give us 70+% possession, even if you had some good chances, arguably the better chances, is a manager I don’t understand. When you give us so many chances... and many of our chances were REALLY good chances with bad finishes... it shouldn’t be a surprise that some of those many chances end up in your goal.

You’d think a manager that’s big on playing the percentages would realise that about playing the percentages.

I’d have said he was right if we didn’t create much and got 2 goals. But we played well against a side happy to sit deep and go for counters.

But it’s Mourinho, he’s got his persona he uses with the media as a manager... and he’s never going to lose graciously in a big match. He’s always going to say his side was the best, they deserved to win, and it’s an injustice against football. So I do understand him. He’s always been a bit of a bitter narcissistic twat. The “special one” - only a cunt calls themself that.

And obviously I’m very biased in this case... but if it was random side making loads of chances vs extraordinarily defensive counter-attacking side and the side that created more wins... I’d always say it was deserved.

Mate you scored a flukey deflected effort and a set piece header with a blatant foul on our player that was tracking Firmino. You can’t be surprised that he thinks that. You barely tested us about from that. Lloris had one proper save to make and the further we went in the game the more comfortable we were. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, shut up said:

Makes you realise that van Dijk is definitely the best centre half in the world.  Huge miss.

Liverpool beating their closest rivals with half a first XI out of position or missing just shows how much better than the rest of the league they are

Don’t buy into their narrative. They had 9 of the 11 playing today that started against us in the CL final! 

Just now, Storts said:

Mate you scored a flukey deflected effort and a set piece header with a blatant foul on our player that was tracking Firmino. You can’t be surprised that he thinks that. You barely tested us about from that. Lloris had one proper save to make and the further we went in the game the more comfortable we were. 

You had 2 shots on target ffs, we had 11 (which is more shots than you had the whole match).

Lloris may have made some easy saves, but you want to talk about a keeper barely being tested... Alisson only had to make 2 saves!

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

He said 'best team lost' though?

Not 'team with better chances lost'.

Liverpool had the best chances and if it wasn't for Lloris it'd be even worse for Spurs.

Stan that’s shite. What big chances did they really create? We missed 2 1 on 1s and a free header from 6 yards out. Lloris was barely troubled 

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

You had 2 shots on target ffs, we had 11 (which is more shots than you had the whole match).

Lloris may have made some easy saves, but you want to talk about a keeper barely being tested... Alisson only had to make 2 saves!

Blame Bergwijn for that hitting the post and scuffing the other wide. Doesn’t mean they weren’t the best chances of the game. Kane’s too, shocker. I think we are well within our rights to feel aggrieved to take nothing from that game today but unfortunately you have to take your chances when they come, and we didn’t. You’ve also got to hope the ref and VAR can spot blatant fouls but clearly they can’t either. You know how to win though - it was no surprise it ended up that way 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Us being top by 3 with the amount of injuries we've suffered this season is crackers to be fair.

They’ve done well, absolutely, but no surprise considering you were the runaway winners last year and best team in the country by a considerable distance. It also isn’t a surprise considering really Van Dijk is the only player missing that makes much difference.

That CB you had tonight was abysmal and my biggest frustration us is not attacking him more because every time we did he was all over the place. 

That Curtis Jones lad is absolute class though, is he English? Hope so cause he’s going a long way 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Blame Bergwijn for that hitting the post and scuffing the other wide. Doesn’t mean they weren’t the best chances of the game. Kane’s too, shocker. I think we are well within our rights to feel aggrieved to take nothing from that game today but unfortunately you have to take your chances when they come, and we didn’t. You’ve also got to hope the ref and VAR can spot blatant fouls but clearly they can’t either. You know how to win though - it was no surprise it ended up that way 

Tbf I am thankful at the bad finishing. You very easily COULD have won that. But I’m not having that the side that barely created a thing and say back for counters was the better side here.

You’ve given us a ridiculous amount of possession, and unlike Mourinho’s last match against us with Spurs where I think you limited us to not many good chances... we had loads of good chances. We just didn’t have great finishing.

But this wasn’t a Mourinho masterclass where we were limited to scraps. This was letting us have a lot of the ball and getting a lot of chances.

Just like you could have won if Bergwijn finished better... we could have had a pretty massive score line if we’d also finished better.

Also yeah, Jones is Scouse & I think he plays for the England U23s, so hopefully he gets an England cap soon. Looks pretty handy

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Tim Sherwood everyone. Brilliant timing.

I said something similar. Something about Spurs being a fairly big side and can't see any of ours winning anything in the air for it xD

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Don’t buy into their narrative. They had 9 of the 11 playing today that started against us in the CL final! 

A midfielder and a kid at CB though and it becomes difficult when a lot of the squad players are out injured and the first choices have to keep going again and again. They turned up tonight but there will be times when they don't like last Sunday which might keep the title race competitive for a bit longer

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

They’ve done well, absolutely, but no surprise considering you were the runaway winners last year and best team in the country by a considerable distance. It also isn’t a surprise considering really Van Dijk is the only player missing that makes much difference.

That CB you had tonight was abysmal and my biggest frustration us is not attacking him more because every time we did he was all over the place. 

That Curtis Jones lad is absolute class though, is he English? Hope so cause he’s going a long way 

No hes not English...

He's Scouse :D

Mourinho said “the best team lost” not “the team who had the best chances lost” he’s an absolute shite talker and knows what he is doing. Nobody with working eyes can watch that game and say Spurs were better throughout. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Mourinho said “the best team lost” not “the team who had the best chances lost” he’s an absolute shite talker and knows what he is doing. Nobody with working eyes can watch that game and say Spurs were better throughout. 

He's just talking up his own side, I wouldn't take it so personally. You can see how someone could argue Spurs were the best side,  but also how Liverpool were. It was a tight game, Liverpool showed their real title credentials, like always.

7 minutes ago, Storts said:

Kane was pulling Williams out of position a lot. No surprise that he was playing for Kidderminster last season. I think he did ok at times too though.

Yeah Jones is a local lad and has played for England under 21s already

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

He's just talking up his own side, I wouldn't take it so personally. You can see how someone could argue Spurs were the best side,  but also how Liverpool were. It was a tight game, Liverpool showed their real title credentials, like always.

Oh I’m not taking it personally at all. Like I said, he knows what he is doing. 

I too think Williams had a shaken game. Think Phillips is a lost more suited to be playing premier league games. He has a lot more experience of first team football and he was brilliant in the game he played this season. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I said something similar. Something about Spurs being a fairly big side and can't see any of ours winning anything in the air for it xD

A midfielder and a kid at CB though and it becomes difficult when a lot of the squad players are out injured and the first choices have to keep going again and again. They turned up tonight but there will be times when they don't like last Sunday which might keep the title race competitive for a bit longer

Honestly I like Nat Phillips better at the back for right now - but I understand Klopp wanting to give time to the younger and pretty much equal player. I think for the style we all knew Spurs would set up with though, Phillips might fit better.

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

Kane was pulling Williams out of position a lot. No surprise that he was playing for Kidderminster last season. I think he did ok at times too though.

Yeah Jones is a local lad and has played for England under 21s already

Yeah I mean completely understandable - not really a dig at home as an individual just frustration that he was a clear weak link and don’t think we exploited it enough. Probably being a bit harsh on him though you’re right.

Ah great, looks very talented on the ball. Look forward to seeing him develop 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf I am thankful at the bad finishing. You very easily COULD have won that. But I’m not having that the side that barely created a thing and say back for counters was the better side here.

You’ve given us a ridiculous amount of possession, and unlike Mourinho’s last match against us with Spurs where I think you limited us to not many good chances... we had loads of good chances. We just didn’t have great finishing.

But this wasn’t a Mourinho masterclass where we were limited to scraps. This was letting us have a lot of the ball and getting a lot of chances.

Just like you could have won if Bergwijn finished better... we could have had a pretty massive score line if we’d also finished better.

Also yeah, Jones is Scouse & I think he plays for the England U23s, so hopefully he gets an England cap soon. Looks pretty handy

Yeah but giving you the possession was obviously how we set up. Don’t think we can read too much into it. It’s obviously about what was done with the ball and Id say on that front it was very even considering what you’ve said but also the fact we had several massive chances squandered. 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

He’s just doing it to get the media talking about him not his team.

It’s more for the press that wants to make a pantomime, rather than to be taken seriously.

Mourinho has this cunty persona he uses as a manager, but it’s not meant to be taken seriously. As we’ve seen with his time as a pundit and that Amazon show which is basically just the Mourinho show.

He’s a nice guy irl (probably), it’s just an act because he knows our media wants to make a spectacle 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Honestly I like Nat Phillips better at the back for right now - but I understand Klopp wanting to give time to the younger and pretty much equal player. I think for the style we all knew Spurs would set up with though, Phillips might fit better.

I'm not sure about Phillips up against Kane and Son on the counter either to be honest. He seems like a proper old school CB who just wins everything in the air. I feel like he'd get dragged out of position by a clever forward like Kane too

• The topic was unpinned

Archived