talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham - Wednesday 16th December, 2020

football forum

Kane and Son have made mugs of the most seasoned CB's so its no surprise a 19 Yr old making his Premier League debut had a couple of sticky moments.

All in all though I think he did ok, especially when you consider his partner  tonight was a CM'r. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
37 minutes ago, Storts said:

Stan that’s shite. What big chances did they really create? We missed 2 1 on 1s and a free header from 6 yards out. Lloris was barely troubled 

First half Lloris had plenty to do. Made about 3 or 4 saves. One from Firmino which was palmed out away from danger. Another couple from Salah if I remember correctly? 

It's not shite to think you weren't the best team and Jose saying 'best team lost' was right. 

I think Liverpool were better. Had more of the game. Bergwijn had two very good chances but other than that, what else was there in the 2nd half from you apart from Kane's half chance from way out? 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

First half Lloris had plenty to do. Made about 3 or 4 saves. One from Firmino which was palmed out away from danger. Another couple from Salah if I remember correctly? 

It's not shite to think you weren't the best team and Jose saying 'best team lost' was right. 

I think Liverpool were better. Had more of the game. Bergwijn had two very good chances but other than that, what else was there in the 2nd half from you apart from Kane's half chance from way out? 

What’s shit is this - “Liverpool had the best chances and if it wasn't for Lloris it'd be even worse for Spurs.”

Don’t think any of the Liverpool fans in here have argued that we didn’t have the best chances in this game. The two Bergwijn ones and Kane’s free header from 6 yards out were glorious opportunities. Liverpool created lots of half chances with the quality of players they have you may have expected them to do better but Lloris was barely tested bar one save first half and It’s definitely wrong to say they had the best chances of this game. 

Of course they had more of the game... that is by design. Arsenal had more of the game against us too, doesn’t mean we weren’t totally in control of it and actually second half today I felt the same. 

• Subscriber
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Mane's chance in the second half was a big one tbf. 

Yeah had forgotten about that one - that was a very good chance. 

Reminds to praise Aurier too, cause apart from that he had a magnificent game, probably best I’ve seen him have for us and he’s been very good all season, turned it around 

31 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yeah but giving you the possession was obviously how we set up. Don’t think we can read too much into it. It’s obviously about what was done with the ball and Id say on that front it was very even considering what you’ve said but also the fact we had several massive chances squandered. 

I mean I think it was a fairly fucking tight & even match and both sides had good chances they’d both be disappointed with how they finished.

I don’t know how anyone could really disagree with that. You very easily could have won with better finishing, we very easily could have had more goals.

I think Mourinho’s strategy in big matches is pretty high risk-high reward. If you give a good side a lot of the ball, they will make lots of good chances - and good sides score from good chances.

We had lots of good chances today, we weren’t ruthless finishers though. But we made a lot of chances and put 2 away, which happened to be enough. It’s always a risk if you let a team get that many chances.

• The topic was unpinned

I said a while back that this current Liverpool side not only has the quality but mental strength you want in title contenders. You could easily class them along side the 2002-2004 Arsenal, 2005-2008 Chelsea, 2007-2009 United and 2017-2019 City. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I said a while back that this current Liverpool side not only has the quality but mental strength you want in title contenders. You could easily class them along side the 2002-2004 Arsenal, 2005-2008 Chelsea, 2007-2009 United and 2017-2019 City. 

I'd agree with that and to be honest, its all down to Klopp. He has installed a mentality, not just within the squad, but throughout the club and even the City of Liverpool that I've not seen before, and that says a lot when you consider I went to my first game when Kenny started his first stint. 

Hes done it everywhere he has been, the man is an absolute genius and ill be gutted when he leaves in 3 years time.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

They’re better than all of them. Best PL team ever 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Is this the 'foul' people were talking about? Fucking hell, I can only imagine the reaction had Salah gone down like thatxDxD

Diers man was Firmino, Henderson clearly went into the back of him off the ball with him facing the other way and allowed Firmino a free run. It’s definitely a foul but it’s one of those that is no consistency over

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Diers man was Firmino, Henderson clearly went into the back of him off the ball with him facing the other way and allowed Firmino a free run. It’s definitely a foul but it’s one of those that is no consistency over

Dier looks like he's marking Williams there?

• Administrator

Alderweireld is clearly marking Firmino there. Just has to handle Williams' run as well as going for Firmino and then is left flat-footed deciding who to go for. 

Henderson does give him a little nudge in the back. Dier's a big lad though, goes down easy. Seen more contact in other incidents and not given. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Dier looks like he's marking Williams there?

Yeah but if you watch it - sorry that was badly explained - that Dier not being able to go with Williams meant Toby got dragged away from Firmino and in no mans land. It definitely affected us

• Subscriber

It’s clearly a foul. Off the ball, deliberate, from behind. The officials have missed one. Dread to think the reaction had this been the other way round. 

3 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Has to be more than that to give a foul for me. Dier clearly goes down voluntarily to try and win a freekick when, as it happens, he could easily have rolled Henderson and got back to defend. Always good to see karma punish cheap tricks like tha

11 minutes ago, Storts said:

It’s clearly a foul. Off the ball, deliberate, from behind. The officials have missed one. Dread to think the reaction had this been the other way round. 

They haven't missed it, because it got checked for ages by VAR.

It's the same as the Salah one for Fulham's goal against us. You can complain about the decision if you want, and you probably could find a referee who'd give it, but your biggest concern should be your player taking himself out of the game to ask for a foul instead of actually defending. You can't rely on the referee to bail you out there

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

They haven't missed it, because it got checked for ages by VAR.

It's the same as the Salah one for Fulham's goal against us. You can complain about the decision if you want, and you probably could find a referee who'd give it, but your biggest concern should be your player taking himself out of the game to ask for a foul instead of actually defending. You can't rely on the referee to bail you out there

They have missed it, in real time the ref missed it. VAR is a shambles and inconsistent. 

I mean he was fouled. What do you expect him to do? You should be able to expect a ref and a video ref to get it right honestly. But whatever I don’t care that much, it’s over and I have bigger frustrations with the game and our failure to put it away earlier. But to deny you got away with one is laughable. 

Archived