Last Meeting
23/02/2020 - Arsenal 3-2 Everton

Last Fixture
21/12/2019 - Everton 0-0 Arsenal

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The more we've done well recently, the less confident I am that we'll carry it into the next game because #EvertonThat is so ingrained in being an Everton fan over the past decade and it's going to take something special to make that go away. But looking at how we're playing and how they're playing, we should win this match. Every win you get this season is massive, because there's such a lack of consistency among basically every team that you'll probably gain a league position and get 2 points closer to the top of the table. If we perform again like we did in the last two games, I do think we'll win narrowly. I would bring Pickford back in and keep the outfield unchanged, except Allan will be out with his hamstring injury, so we'll probably see Gomes or Davies starting in there instead, which I'm just about fine with. If we have Keane and Mina as our central pairing again, and we should because they've been very good in the last two games, then we need to watch our arses with the pace Arsenal have on the break. Need a big performance from Doucouré with Allan injured, but he's stepped up his level in the past couple of weeks. I just fear for the midfield having seen so many average performances from Sigurdsson and Gomes over the past year or two, we tend to struggle with a lack of mobility and defensive protection when they both start in a midfield three. I think I'd rather see Davies than Gomes to be honest. Iwobi, Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin should be unchanged as the front three, yes even if James Rodriguez is fit. Ease him back in off the bench. If he has to start then it would be Richarlison and not Iwobi that I'd drop to the bench for this game.

Oh wow another Arsenal match where they just sit deep and act like they have no idea how to take a football into the final third.

Some people call Pep a bald fraud for some reason, even though he’s won things and has a good record as a manager.

Arteta’s a fraud with a healthy head of hair. He’s got no business managing in the top flight currently, let alone dragging a side like Arsenal into absolute hopelessness.

• Subscriber

Should win this but they're still a threat. Dumb from Davies on their goal but the alternative to starting him is Gomes who did the exact same thing up at Newcastle.

I hope we step it up after half time, we've not been at our best. Individual creativity leading to both goals. On the bright side, they've not done that much to break us down aside from that Nketiah chance.

We need to be ruthless here, we've edged this game when we've not been in top gear, we can't afford to let them back in if we're serious about challenging in the top few positions.

• Subscriber

We were pretty shite tonight to be honest. No reason to play attack against defence for 45 minutes when we could have killed these off if we'd got at them.

Oh well, I don't think anyone expected to beat Chelsea, Leicester and Arsenal in the space of 8 days, and it's changed our season completely again to be honest. Up to 2nd place and on a roll.

Just Man Utd to come next on Wednesday for a place in the League Cup semi finals. I never dare to dream too far ahead after what this club does to you but sitting in the top four and in the League Cup semi finals for Christmas would be sound.

Both these clubs are big clubs, but one’s been languishing in mediocrity for a while and one’s sort of retained that big club identity. And both these managers were linked with both clubs before they took their jobs, I think with both clubs sort of taking the opposite approach than what I would have expected.

With Everton looking like the much better side here, imo... it sort of felt like a match where the two clubs have embraced their role reversal.

No idea if that’s true and it’s probably not and just me reading into it way hard. But I think this match season has Everton looking like their project is making some healthy progress. Meanwhile it looks like the long road ahead for Arsenal is just a bit longer.

5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Poor loss again, Everton weren't all that today and we still didn't look like scoring until the last few attacks. Arteta has to go for me, why are we stalling here? People can say what they want but he hasn't shown anywhere near enough for me. 

Each week it gets harder and harder to defend Arteta. Everton weren’t great, but I think they were still the better side.

I think Edu or whoever was responsible for his appointment look mental. I think those in charge need to do some real self evaluation and spend some time getting in a manager that makes sense for the short term and long term.

Archived