talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga 2020/21 - [22. Spieltag] - 19-21st February, 2021

football forum

• Subscriber

In all seriousness, this should be a big wake up call for us. Most of the points we managed to get so far this season were a result of improved defending, and it somewhat masked our problems in midfield and in front of the goal, thus creating a false sense of security. It was clearly shown today; when our defenders have a bad day and fail miserably, it also exposes our worrying lack of quality in midfield and infuriating inability to score goals. We can't expect to survive if we depend solely on not conceding and fail to create goal scoring opportunities ourselves... 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highlight of the matchday was Martin Hinteregger for me. A week ago he said an interview that he thinks it's a shame that everyone is on their mobile after a game. He'd much rather have some beers and talk about the game with his teammates.

After the win against Bayern:

c87693cb-74da-464e-945b-bffe7bb7eecf.png

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

In all seriousness, this should be a big wake up call for us. Most of the points we managed to get so far this season were a result of improved defending, and it somewhat masked our problems in midfield and in front of the goal, thus creating a false sense of security. It was clearly shown today; when our defenders have a bad day and fail miserably, it also exposes our worrying lack of quality in midfield and infuriating inability to score goals. We can't expect to survive if we depend solely on not conceding and fail to create goal scoring opportunities ourselves... 

Yeah, you make some very good points. But you can at least take some comfort from the face that you have a game in hand and the fact that there are several other teams also in poor form down below you in the table. Lets face it, Schalke are unfortunately going down, barring a miracle. Arminia Bielefeld, Hertha Berlin, Koln and Augsburg aren't in great form. While Mainz are playing well, but are still 6 points behind Werder, having played an extra game. I know that things can change quite quickly, but the situation at Werder right now could be worse.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yeah, you make some very good points. But you can at least take some comfort from the face that you have a game in hand and the fact that there are several other teams also in poor form down below you in the table. Lets face it, Schalke are unfortunately going down, barring a miracle. Arminia Bielefeld, Hertha Berlin, Koln and Augsburg aren't in great form. While Mainz are playing well, but are still 6 points behind Werder, having played an extra game. I know that things can change quite quickly, but the situation at Werder right now could be worse.

Oh yeah, the situation could definitely be worse, it's just that it's so frustrating in general. In terms of avoiding the drop, the matches against Bielefeld and Köln will be key; if we manage to win both (or at least take 4 pts), I think then we can relax and won't have to worry until the very last minute of the final match of the season, for a change...

44 minutes ago, nudge said:

Oh yeah, the situation could definitely be worse, it's just that it's so frustrating in general. In terms of avoiding the drop, the matches against Bielefeld and Köln will be key; if we manage to win both (or at least take 4 pts), I think then we can relax and won't have to worry until the very last minute of the final match of the season, for a change...

Yeah, those 2 matches will be crucial for you. The last thing Werder fans will want is a repeat of last season, where they secured their Bundesliga status in the relegation play-off by the skin of their teeth. Werder have a very tough outing against Frankfurt in the next match, but as you said, Werder will expect to get points in the following matches against Koln and Bielefeld. Lets hope for the best.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Hey nudge - that's one of the posts I have been wanting to make for ages and I know exactly how you feel!

1 hour ago, Michael said:

"I don't believe in Miracles" - Colin Blunstone - 1972!

Prediction: Mainz will not be relegated.  They may even be out of the relegation zone after week 25.  Svensson has them playing lights out right now and their next 5-6 matches are against teams in the bottom half of the table iirc.

• Subscriber
On 21/02/2021 at 11:08, Tommy said:

Highlight of the matchday was Martin Hinteregger for me. A week ago he said an interview that he thinks it's a shame that everyone is on their mobile after a game. He'd much rather have some beers and talk about the game with his teammates.

After the win against Bayern:

c87693cb-74da-464e-945b-bffe7bb7eecf.png

Fantastic to see this. Does remind me of how much I miss my own beer league hockey though :(

7 hours ago, Coma said:

Prediction: Mainz will not be relegated.  They may even be out of the relegation zone after week 25.  Svensson has them playing lights out right now and their next 5-6 matches are against teams in the bottom half of the table iirc.

Svensson also said that he'll drink 100 beers if they avoid relegation. I want to see that. 

On 22/02/2021 at 07:01, nudge said:

If only we had a midfielder with some Klass

But I wouldn't know anyone like that. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived