talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Boubakary Soumare - Leicester Sign French Midfielder

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I saw if him pre covid he looked like he was on the fringes of being a top six player. Exactly the type of player I imagine Newcastle would have signed had the takeover gone through.

@...Dan may be best placed to advise whether he would suit Leicester City.

• Administrator

That's insane. A deal done before he can get poached by any other clubs. Love it. Only 22 as well. Could be another sign of class recruitment.

• Subscriber

What do the Ligue 1 watchers on here think? I must admit, at first I was a bit unsure, didn't really excel in any stats so I was a little surprised as we're quite data heavy, but having watched a couple of videos he looks a good player - quick, strong, can pass and dribble. I don't think midfield was number one priority but I'm happy to have another in, and people seem to be speaking highly of him. Plus we love a buy from France. The best market in the world.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't think midfield was number one priority but I'm happy to have another in, and people seem to be speaking highly of him. Plus we love a buy from France. The best market in the world.

I think if Mendy and Hamza go, which is likely, and we have midfield options of Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet, Maddison*, Dewsbury-Hall, Soumare, that'd be pretty good.

Would be good if we can get decent prices for the first 2.

*and perhaps Maddison if he is to leave, which isn't totally out of the question.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Stan said:

I think if Mendy and Hamza go, which is likely, and we have midfield options of Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet, Maddison*, Dewsbury-Hall, Soumare, that'd be pretty good.

Would be good if we can get decent prices for the first 2.

*and perhaps Maddison if he is to leave, which isn't totally out of the question.

I have a feeling Praet may be off but the rumours about Maddison seem to carry some weight. I thought it was all Twitter nonsense until I read certain accounts on FT saying things.

You watch Soumare in videos and you can tell he's got something a bit different to our other midfielders so I'm for it. Good signing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2021 at 17:27, Storts said:

I don’t trust anyone coming from Ligue 1 any more to be honest. The league is so poor 

Ngolo Kante

On 10/05/2021 at 17:40, Cicero said:

Think Leicester's scouts can be trusted. 

Nampalys Mendy

They can clearly get it right, but they can clearly also get it wrong. Mendy and Adrian Silva being the point in mention.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Devil said:

Ngolo Kante

Nampalys Mendy

They can clearly get it right, but they can clearly also get it wrong. Mendy and Adrian Silva being the point in mention.

Mahrez from France, too...

There are even better examples than Mendy or Silva to be fair. Mendy is still with us now and seemed to have found a bit of new life under Rodgers when we were really short of players. He's an adequate back-up.

Silva had the whole 14-seconds transfer deadline fiasco so couldn't even play til January that season. Given the other players that signed in the 2-3 transfer windows after the title season, I'm willing to give some leniency to the Silva debacle. There's Slimani, Luis Hernandez, Ahmed Musa, Ron-Robert Zieler, Kapustka, Iborra. All could fit in the 'less than average/bad category for signings'.

But then they're out-weighed by the signings of Ndidi, Maguire, Iheanacho and then Ricardo, Maddison, Evans in summer 2018.

Overall our recruitment is in the top 3 in the country, I'd say. We get it right far more often than getting it wrong, in my opinion. And it's not just the quantities of players, it's the finding of 'gems' or players that fit the profile but come at a reasonable cost. For us it's not about marquee signings with a massive overly-inflated transfer fee to please the fans, compared to how other clubs operate who feel like they need to make a big signing just to make that statement. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

There are even better examples than Mendy or Silva to be fair. Mendy is still with us now and seemed to have found a bit of new life under Rodgers when we were really short of players. He's an adequate back-up.

Silva had the whole 14-seconds transfer deadline fiasco so couldn't even play til January that season. Given the other players that signed in the 2-3 transfer windows after the title season, I'm willing to give some leniency to the Silva debacle. There's Slimani, Luis Hernandez, Ahmed Musa, Ron-Robert Zieler, Kapustka, Iborra. All could fit in the 'less than average/bad category for signings'.

But then they're out-weighed by the signings of Ndidi, Maguire, Iheanacho and then Ricardo, Maddison, Evans in summer 2018.

Overall our recruitment is in the top 3 in the country, I'd say. We get it right far more often than getting it wrong, in my opinion. And it's not just the quantities of players, it's the finding of 'gems' or players that fit the profile but come at a reasonable cost. For us it's not about marquee signings with a massive overly-inflated transfer fee to please the fans, compared to how other clubs operate who feel like they need to make a big signing just to make that statement. 

The two I mentioned were the first two that came to my head if I'm honest and Mendy mainly due to him sort of being a like for like replacement for Kante but about half the quality. 

Leicester have been fantastic in the market no doubt about it that. 

On 20/05/2021 at 09:00, Stan said:

1. Liverpool, 2. Leicester, 3. Brentford

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2021 at 09:27, Storts said:

I don’t trust anyone coming from Ligue 1 any more to be honest. The league is so poor 

Loads of great players have come from Ligue 1 though.

It’s a bit like the Dutch league though, pretty hit or miss whether players succeed in England when they make the step up.

39 minutes ago, Rick said:

Heard it’s an initial fee of 17m. Lille have been robbed there, fair play Leicester. Two potentially world class talents for under 40m. 

Slow down. He’s been really hyped for years yet the only two clubs that have gone in for him seriously are Newcastle and Leicester. Talk about hyperbole. Let’s see how he settles 

Archived