talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 1-4 West Ham - Sunday 31st October, 2021

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 16.30

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-Aston_Villa_FC_crest_(2016).svg.p        VS      1200px-West_Ham_United_FC_logo.svg.png

Last 3 Meetings
03/02/2021 - Aston Villa 1-3 West Ham
30/11/2020 - West Ham 3-1 Aston Villa
26/07/2020 - West Ham 1-1 Aston Villa

Recent Form
Aston Villa - LLLWL
West Ham - WWWWL

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Villa perspective, it has been such a deflating run, following the impressive 3-0 home vs Everton & 1-0 at Old Trafford wins. Even if they are perceived as 2 of the softer top half sides. Since then, defeats to both Spurs & Wolves by 1 goal, 2 of the early season crisis clubs. And a real reality bomb drubbing at The Emirates. Frankly this Villa side needs key players fit & playing. And will probably be doing very, very well to be close to 11th again this season. Disappointing in so many ways, as really pushing on into the top half was clearly the objective.

While West Ham are pretty much where Villa want to be. They are in European football. And seem very legitimate contenders to be there again next season.

For me, this match will either be a very, very nervy 1-0 home win, or a very emphatic away win. Rice vs McGinn in midfield could be a rather fascinating battle.

Well, it is a return to 4-3-3 for Villa. Chosen or enforced? It sems there are some stories I need to dig into, as the line up & bench aren't initially self explanatory.

Watkins starts. Ings doesn't. Ings is not even on the bench. Buendia & Bailey start as wing-attackers, for the 1st time together I believe. Not entirely sure why Mings is on the bench. Or where Douglas Luiz is.

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 1-2 West Ham - Sunday 31st October, 2021
  • Administrator

How the hell has Hause not seen red there??

Forearm to the face on Fornals. Instead Konsa gets a red for denial of goalscoring opportunity bringing down Bowen.

• Subscriber

Funny how a Villa player did that to Demarai Gray when we were there at 0-0 and it wasn't even a foul and they went on to win 3-0 yet in the space of just a few weeks the rules have been changed to make it a red card offence.

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 1-4 West Ham - Sunday 31st October, 2021

Villa are in the relegation battle. First time in Dean Smith's reign he must be under pressure. He has been backed financially. There was genuine belief, in the squad & with the fans. But that's in tatters after 4 progressively worse defeats.

There are 3 winnable matches before the Grealish derby early November.. but much more signs of 1st season defensive problems than I feel ok with.

Starting to remember why I look forward to World Cups & Euros at this stage.

• Subscriber

Sky Sports turning the narrative dial up to 11 on this game. The standard of analysis gets worse every season but it sells to the masses doesn't it. All geared towards generating commentary highlights for this season's Premier League Years and other montages, and clips to go viral on Twitter.

I'd love a genuine challenger to them which is better than BT. I like the approach The Athletic take to their journalism and they give good analysis and get well-sourced inside knowledge on big stories instead of just click bait rubbish. A television equivalent of that would be ideal.

• Subscriber

I think Villa's fears are being realised a bit in that Grealish really was carrying them. They look a bit of a collection of individuals to me.

West Ham look really good, game in, game out they impress me.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

United should consider this Moyes fella

It might have worked out for him at United if he hadn't brought his Preston North End backroom staff with him.

If he'd have worked with Sir Alex's backroom staff he'd have had more of a chance. 

• Subscriber

Moyes seems to flourish in the particular set of circumstances you get at an upper mid table club. Relatively simple football, try not to have any weaknesses, not much more to it than that. I don't know about his time in Spain but Sunderland were too shite to coach and organise the weaknesses out of the team and the relatively predictable simple football doesn't cut it at the highest level which saw him found out at Man Utd. Winning the 6th-10thish mini league on a regular basis is his sweet spot.

I'm actually sort of happy for him for his success at West Ham. If he wins a trophy for them though then I really will be absolutely fucking done with football.

29 minutes ago, Devil said:

It might have worked out for him at United if he hadn't brought his Preston North End backroom staff with him.

If he'd have worked with Sir Alex's backroom staff he'd have had more of a chance. 

I actually agree with you 100%

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I actually agree with you 100%

It must be a regret of his, whilst you've got to respect the fact he wanted to do it his way the club should have been stronger and told him the job is yours but the transition needs to be made with the staff in place now.

Moyes would have still taken the job, how would you turn United down at that point in time.

57 minutes ago, Devil said:

It must be a regret of his, whilst you've got to respect the fact he wanted to do it his way the club should have been stronger and told him the job is yours but the transition needs to be made with the staff in place now.

Moyes would have still taken the job, how would you turn United down at that point in time.

I think ego got in the way of being practical and realising that he was making a big step up and the pressure was much higher.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

I think Villa's fears are being realised a bit in that Grealish really was carrying them. They look a bit of a collection of individuals to me.

West Ham look really good, game in, game out they impress me.

Grealish was certainly the star player in the Villa side. I guess any club losing a star player would go through a transition season. And Villa were only 11th last season too. Some eye catching Covid empty grounds results, but also very very erratic.

And as I have suggested around here a few times, there have been injury problems. Especially, or even exclusively, among the wingers. Trezeguet is still out. Buendia & Bailey have had problems. Its far from ideal that Buendia, Bailey & Ings have not yet started the same match. They were the Grealish replacements. And yet, in form, fighting for his place, established at the club, penalty taker, suddenly shimmying full backs, El Ghazi has hardly been seen since Watkins & Ings were both fit to play.

I do love Dean Smith, what he's done for the club. And I do think it is kind of nice having a genuine fan in charge. Knowing they really understand the club, it's ethos, it's culture. But a big part of me is thinking perhaps if things have gotten worse by the end of November.. it may be time to bring in a new man. No idea who that would be. But it's Southampton (a), Brighton (h) & Palace (a) next. For me, I'd almost say it needs to be 5 points minimum. Or Plan B & start with Man City. If I was one of the billionaire owners, I think that is what my brutal plan would be right now. I'd be seriously looking around for replacement options.

• The topic was unpinned

I watched a bit of Villa last season as was interested in how Barkley would fit in.

Of course in doing that you get to see Grealish and I couldn't make my mind up on him. Plenty of tricks drawing fouls yet little end product for me. Yet I guess he frightened the opposition and normally drew out two defenders.

I though buying Ings was a shrewd move though he does miss a few games with injury and think McGinn is a decent midfielder. 

Not sure the manager will last given their current run of form which would be a shame given their decent form last season.

Archived