talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Not Prime Barcelona 3-2 Liverpool - Sunday 7th November, 2021

football forum

Minamino represented good value with his release clause and had a significant upside in 2019. Whilst it hasnt worked out I don't think it's much of an issue given that you realistically didn't need to spend any more money on a player that plays out wide given you have always had two of the best wide forwards in the world.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Minamino represented good value with his release clause and had a significant upside in 2019. Whilst it hasnt worked out I don't think it's much of an issue given that you realistically didn't need to spend any more money on a player that plays out wide given you have always had two of the best wide forwards in the world.

Signing Minamino was a no brainier at the time, because his release clause was so low. Think he knew as much as anybody that he would have to do very special things to get in over Mane/ Salah. He was brought in as a squad player, and that’s fine. I’m saying that it’s not worked out. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Minamino has done fuck all Mike. Fuck all. Came to the club and has just shrunk into a fucking borrower. He has skill, that can’t be denied, but he hasn’t got the confidence to really  get stuck in. 

@RandoEFC has pretty much summed up my thoughts. I won’t go as far as saying Minamino is shite, but I think Townsend would have done more with the same minutes. 

He's obviously a long way behind our first four choices. It was a signing Liverpool took a chance on because of the low fee. Townsend would be a long way behind as well though. I don't want Liverpool to bring in anyone for the sake of it. If we're bringing players in I want them to be improvements on what we already have on the bench.

Mad that we're having this discussion after Liverpool's first defeat in any competition since April, by the way. If only we'd signed Townsend and Rondon, we'd have broken the club record for longest unbeaten run.

Minamino's hardly a wide player tbh. Seems like an attacking midfielder/forward type of player tbh. The best I've seen him play was against us as a midfielder playing in a mostly central role, the next best I've seen him play was a few games up front for Southampton.

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

Minamino has done fuck all Mike. Fuck all. Came to the club and has just shrunk into a fucking borrower. He has skill, that can’t be denied, but he hasn’t got the confidence to really  get stuck in. 

@RandoEFC has pretty much summed up my thoughts. I won’t go as far as saying Minamino is shite, but I think Townsend would have done more with the same minutes. 

Tbh, I think Townsend would've been just a temporary stop gap depth signing that we'd probably struggle to move on. I'm not sure how helpful that would have been. Look at the goals Origi's scored lately - he's clearly quite a talented player, even if he's below our world class attackers generally. If he and Minamino struggle to get time on the pitch and struggle for consistency, I have no doubt Townsend would do the same.

Rafa would go for stop-gap depth signings if he couldn't get the men he wanted in - Klopp seems more inclined to trust youth and the current squad than go with players that aren't likely to make an impact. I think it certainly is a cause of anxiety when we've got things like our midfield depleted and not turning up, or when we're down to our 7th and 8th choice CBs like last season... but there's certainly a value in not spending money for players unless they're 1.) available for very cheap like Minamino and there's minimal risk, or 2.) unless you're absolutely sure you want them.

Can this hurt us when we need depth? Yeah, absolutely. But it can also help us when Klopp wants his first choice player and we go spend a huge amount of money on him - which is something that would constantly hold us back in the pre-Klopp era.

Tbf at right back, if Trent goes down we'll definitely struggle for creativity as he's probably our most important playmaker - but we do have players to cover that position - and Fabinho at right back would probably be my last choice there tbh (because he should be in midfield except in cases of absolute emergency).

I don't think we need to make wholesale changes to the squad or anything. I think we just need a quality midfielder that we can rely on to stay fit and put in consistently good performances. After that I'd worry about depth up top, but it's not like the squad needs massive changes.

We just need a few tweaks to look even stronger.

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Mad that we're having this discussion after Liverpool's first defeat in any competition since April, by the way. If only we'd signed Townsend and Rondon, we'd have broken the club record for longest unbeaten run.

Dropped important points against Brighton & West Ham. Both lost in the midfield. Lost the game in midfield against Brentford as well. Might not be losing a lot, but we have dropped points and it’s always the same issue. 

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Deliberately including Rondon in the argument every time even though nobody is saying that anymore to make the Townsend bit sound as outrageous as you want it to.

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

I don't even see how having Townsend against West Ham yesterday, probably sitting on the bench and maybe coming on late as a substitute, would really have helped us with the bigger issue yesterday of completely failing to win the midfield battle xD

@Dr. Gonzo I don’t want wholesale changes either. I’ll be happy with just a CM sooner rather than later. Despite what I thing we need, I know we aren’t going to get a cm and an attacking player all together. I’d settle for what’s more pressing. 

• Subscriber

While I stand by the points I've made, I'm pretty much just trying to get you guys to say more stuff about our players just in case they actually manage to do a goal against you and give me the chance to make some very hilarious quips.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

While I stand by the points I've made, I'm pretty much just trying to get you guys to say more stuff about our players just in case they actually manage to do a goal against you and give me the chance to make some very hilarious quips.

That's what I would do to Halewood Toff xD

Tbf, I don't think Townsend is a bad player. I also don't think Origi and Minamino are bad players either (I think Origi could be a good starter at a club that didn't have the same expectations as us - and tbh I just don't think Minamino is a great fit for the league because he's easy to knock off the ball). I just think the dropoff in quality between our normal starters in the front 3 (and Jota) and the player's we're discussing is massive & if Townsend was in our squad he'd be in a similar boat to Origi and Minamino where they're asked to be as good as our world class attackers at their best when they barely get any time on the pitch. I just don't think that's realistic.

Maybe he'd be better, maybe he'd be worse. Who knows, he's at Everton so we'll probably never know how he'd do in this squad. I dunno how his name even has come up - were we ever even linked with him? Seems a bit weird, as far as I know you were the only club I'd heard of being interested in him and you signed him. Dunno why he's even in this discussion because...

...regardless of how good Townsend is/isn't... he's not really gonna help us too much in matches where we're not creating much for the attackers because the midfield is getting completely overrun. That's not really his position at Everton (nor was it at Palace) and that's sort of the area of concern for our recent league form. We had 4 central midfielders play yesterday - I think only Henderson really played decently - and that wasn't enough to say it was a good shift from our midfield.

I don't see how having any of the players mentioned would have really helped us when Fabinho and Thiago are giving the ball away constantly or when Oxlade-Chamberlain is just running up blind alleys and then getting closed off and losing the ball. Well except Origi, I can see how he could have helped us considering we threw him on... and he scored a nice goal.

But too little too late after spending much of the match, especially in the second half, just farting around giving the ball away.

32 minutes ago, Rick said:

Dropped important points against Brighton & West Ham. Both lost in the midfield. Lost the game in midfield against Brentford as well. Might not be losing a lot, but we have dropped points and it’s always the same issue. 

Teams drop points during a season, it happens. 19/20 was a complete one off and I feel like that is the expectation amongst a lot of our fans now but the start Liverpool made to that season had never happened before and won't happen again for a long time. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Teams drop points during a season, it happens. 19/20 was a complete one off and I feel like that is the expectation amongst a lot of our fans now but the start Liverpool made to that season had never happened before and won't happen again for a long time. 

You’re great at deflecting points and putting words in other peoples mouths.

Nobody said we should go unbeaten forever, nobody said we should be matching a 19/20 kind of results. 

“teams drop points during a game, it happens” Great analysis there. I give up. 

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

You’re great at deflecting points and putting words in other peoples mouths.

Nobody said we should go unbeaten forever, nobody said we should be matching a 19/20 kind of results. 

“teams drop points during a game, it happens” Great analysis there. I give up. 

There are worse teams we could have dropped points to so far. Such as Southampton or Burnley. Two teams with squads apparently much better than Liverpool's have dropped points to those sides.

18 hours ago, Rick said:

@Dr. Gonzo I don’t want wholesale changes either. I’ll be happy with just a CM sooner rather than later. Despite what I thing we need, I know we aren’t going to get a cm and an attacking player all together. I’d settle for what’s more pressing. 

Hey on the plus side we didn’t chuck £50m at Atletico for Saul.

The lad must be shit he can’t even get in ahead of Ross Barkley

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Saul looks like he's taken 2 years off of football. Slowly adapting but at the moment he is a shadow of what he was. 

Still a long season to go and still have hopes for him. 

Rumours are that you're sending him back to Atletico in January.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Saul looks like he's taken 2 years off of football. Slowly adapting but at the moment he is a shadow of what he was. 

Still a long season to go and still have hopes for him. 

I forgot he was at Chelsea.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived