• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Countdown to Christmas

football forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Black Friday is a con. Gotta watch out for retailers that up their prices through the year then drop them at Black Friday as some big discount, but it's just at the original normal price, or near to.

Anyway, it's also Countdown to Stan's birthday. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Nah, having a whisk(e)y on New Year's eve and day is better up here in the land of the haggis.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gwiv4qgfmhtzhkdubt

We have a sort of tradition to get a bottle of good single malt for Christmas :D Got Glenmorangie Signet last year, ordered Mortlach 16YO for this year already.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

No, would never do that in front of our grandsons in fact I can't remember ever getting drunk as a skunk over the Xmas period.

Not even in your army days or younger days?

• Subscriber

I miss the time then you'd meet friends on Christmas Day, have lunch and a few drinks, and then once it starts getting dark, drive to a forest, make a campfire, and have BBQ when it's freezing and full of snow. Magical. My best Christmas memories for sure.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I miss the time then you'd meet friends on Christmas Day, have lunch and a few drinks, and then once it starts getting dark, drive to a forest, make a campfire, and have BBQ when it's freezing and full of snow. Magical. My best Christmas memories for sure.

Christmas BBQ! 

That's sounds a lot of fun but we don't get much snow to be fair.

My auntie and uncle used to run several pubs so growing up the whole family would get together and have Christmas Dinner in one of the pubs before opening up in the evening for a few of the regulars. Some of the best Christmas nights them years, I was the youngest cousin and the older lot would set up a set of decks and play DJ and we'd party long into the night.

Unfortunately like most families deaths tend to break up happy events and its now a thing of the past.

That being said the last few years I've had a bit of a family gathering at my house on boxing day where we usually order in a curry and have a proper drink.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Christmas BBQ! 

That's sounds a lot of fun but we don't get much snow to be fair.

My auntie and uncle used to run several pubs so growing up the whole family would get together and have Christmas Dinner in one of the pubs before opening up in the evening for a few of the regulars. Some of the best Christmas nights them years, I was the youngest cousin and the older lot would set up a set of decks and play DJ and we'd party long into the night.

Unfortunately like most families deaths tend to break up happy events and its now a thing of the past.

That being said the last few years I've had a bit of a family gathering at my house on boxing day where we usually order in a curry and have a proper drink.

A Christmas dinner in a pub with extended family and then a party at night sounds like an absolute blast! 

Oh, we used to regularly get at least 15-20cm of snow during winters. I think the record one I experienced was almost 70cm xD I'm not a big fan of winter and cold weather, but there's something magical in the air on a cold and snowy winter night; even the sounds appear muffled and everything's just so calm... Anyway. We'd usually have a Christmas Eve dinner at home with immediate family, and then spend the next few days visiting relatives or meeting and partying with friends.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

A Christmas dinner in a pub with extended family and then a party at night sounds like an absolute blast! 

Oh, we used to regularly get at least 15-20cm of snow during winters. I think the record one I experienced was almost 70cm xD I'm not a big fan of winter and cold weather, but there's something magical in the air on a cold and snowy winter night; even the sounds appear muffled and everything's just so calm... Anyway. We'd usually have a Christmas Eve dinner at home with immediate family, and then spend the next few days visiting relatives or meeting and partying with friends.

Is a Christmas dinner in Germany the same as it is in the UK?

Or does it differ?

The pubs were brilliant, not just at Christmas but generally all year round. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Devil said:

Or does it differ?

I wouldn't know; I never had a Christmas dinner in Germany or in the UK xD 

12 minutes ago, Devil said:

Or does it differ?

During my primary school years near Christmas to New Years. The pubs were hammered and the streets were busy with people going from pub to pub. For years it's just been dead.

Archived