• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian TV & Film

football forum

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Plenty of good stuff out there, so it would be pretty cool if we could do a list of our favourite movies and TV shows for each country! A short description, a trailer, or at least an IMDB link would be great.

Let's start with South Korea?

Movies:

Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War (2004)

MV5BNjAxZTEzNzQtYjdlNy00ZTJmLTkwZDUtOTAw

A story of two brothers drafted into the Korean war. One of the most impressive war movies I've ever seen. Maybe a tad too emotional and sentimental, but a great watch overall.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)

L_p0004764025.jpg

A slow, pensive movie by Kim Ki-Duk about the life of a Buddhist monk as he passes through the seasons of his life, from childhood to old age. Very slow and with little dialogue, so not for everyone, but it's a real visual and sensual feast. 

TV series:

The Silent Sea (2021)

A mystery/sci-fi series about secrets hidden in a Korean moon base and a team sent to retrieve it. Not perfect, but a very suspensful, enjoyable watch.

Vincenzo (2021)

A Korean-Italian mafia consigliere takes on corrupt business conglomerate in Korea.

Vagabond (2019)

One of the best action Korean series I've watched. A stuntman and a NIS agent pair up to investigate a mysterious plane crash and become entangled in a web of a global political corruption. 

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The Wandering Earth ( 2019 )

Just superb with fantastic visuals and an original idea... well worth a watch

Also... I understand a second one is on the way in 2023

Really enjoyed it... Visually, it's incredible, but I also enjoyed the overall story and the characters. Didn't know part 2 was in the making :o 

• Subscriber

Great topic :)

I used to watch alot more probably about a decade ago, had a connection to pick up the cheap illegal discs xD

Couple of my favourites though: Old Boy (has a NA remake.. dont watch it), The Raid Redemption (has a sequal but its meh), Infernal Affairs (the departed is based off, has 3 parts. 1 and 2 are great, never saw the 3rd) Battle Royal was a good shout too for the original. Im gonna throw in Hero with Jet Li just because its one of my favourite movies period. 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, nudge said:

Vagabond (2019)

One of the best action Korean series I've watched. A stuntman and a NIS agent pair up to investigate a mysterious plane crash and become entangled in a web of a global political corruption. 

That looks good, I will have to check it out. 👍

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

@nudge, that Vagabond is on the link you gave me, so it's a series?

download.png

Edit: Just checked it out it is a series.

Yes it's a series, just like it says in my post :) it's also available on Netflix...

• Subscriber

Mainland China

Movies:

Devils on the Doorstep (2000)

MV5BMTMzMTUwNjQwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk2

A black comedy portraying a Chinese village under the occupation of the Japanese Army during WWII. One night, a mysterious man brings two prisoners (A Japanese soldier who wants to die and a Chinese translator who is eager to stay alive) into the village and threatens the villagers to keep them captive until he returns to pick them up on New Year's Eve. Fearing both the mystery man and the Japanese, the whole village falls into a dilemma over what to do with the two prisoners. Fantastic movie, very surreal and dark humour bordering on farce.

Red Cliff (2008/2009)

John Woo's portrayal of the defining Three Kingdom's period battle. The original two-part version (almost 5 hours long) is one of my most favourite movies overall. Epic scale, great action and battle scenes choreography, great soundtrack, decent character development, and some great acting. Visually, it's flawless; every camera shot is gorgeous and the landscapes are breathtaking. 

Double World (2020)

Another favourite of mine... A martial arts fantasy eye candy set in an ancient China fantasy world of swords, sorcery, dragons and oppressive tyrants, with captivating story and humour. There has been a long conflict between the kingdoms of Southern Zhao and Northern Yan. An assassination attempt on the King of Southern Zhao causes a war to break out, but with the lack of a field marshal, a tournament is held to find a new one. Three warriors were summoned from each of the eight big clans to participate in the contest. From the Qingyuan clan, Chu Hun, known as a "deserter" among the villagers, and Dong Yilong, a young orphan thief reminiscent of an Asian Aladdin were selected. On the way, Chu and Dong run into a young girl skilled at martial arts, Jinggang, and the three team up for the competition. Based on a popular MMORPG called Zhengtu.

TV Series:

Three Kingdoms (2010)

What can I say, I just love Three Kingdoms. The 2010 series is probably the best TV adaptation of the novel.

Candle in the Tomb (2016)

MV5BYjk2MDgxZDMtZGNiMy00YTVjLWEzN2MtMDNm

An old school treasure hunting/tomb raiding adventure. Currently watching Season 1 and absolutely love it; looking forward to the rest and the sequels/prequels. Perfect easy watch for a late night.

Make sure you have a pen and paper to remember all the names and courtesy names if you wish to watch Three Kingdoms.

Remember Lu Bu, Liu Bei, and Lie Biao are all different people, that is Fengxe, Xuande, and Jingsheng. And remember Sun Jiang, Sun Ce, Sun Quan, are Wentai, Bofu, and Zhongmu, are employed by Yuan Shu or Gonglu and are enemies of Yuan Shao or Benchu.

Guan Yu is the god of war, but Lu Bu is the greatest warrior on earth, however you cannot dismiss Zhang Liao and Zhao Yun.

Don't trust Sima Yi and Cao Cao, but you can always trust the honourable Zhuge Liang.

In all of us are dead which I'm watching there are loads of scenes of child zombies biting other children.  I know in the walking dead there were restrictions on how much they could show with kids. Koreans seem to be less strict. 

Archived