talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Championship Promotion/Playoff Race

football forum

• Administrator

Quite obviously Fulham will be promoted. 

Who will join them in the automatic 2nd spot? 

Then several other teams for the rest of the playoffs. West Brom's dramatic drop is bad just as much as Middlesborough's rise has been good. 

Preston picking up some form, while QPR and Coventry's form has dipped. 

1646499952872.jpg

Who do you all think will get promoted? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love Huddersfield to get promoted over Bournemouth, but can see them easily taking second with the number of games in hand unfortunately. Fulham will win the Championship, but when you spend £12m on Wilson and get wanked over regularly, that was more or l as inevitable.

As for the play offs, I'd love to see Luton creep into the play offs and win it. Unfortunately, we'll be winning the playoffs as we'll go on a stupid winning streak and get into the play offs on the final day while Blackburn fuck it up. :ph34r:

I think the championship is so unpredictable I cant make a prediction at the moment. Didnt even notice huddersfield sneak up there like that. 

I suppose if you asked me who I'd like to go up. I'd say Coventry and Luton  but they cant both reasonably go up so I'd say Bournemouth and Luton 

Bournemouth are going up in 2nd.

They may be doing their best to let Huddersfield in but I can't see them blowing it that badly. They have enough time to find form.

If I could choose, I'd probably pick Huddersfield to be fair. If they came up and we stayed up, that would provide the Premier League with two West Yorkshire derbies which would be intruiging watches seeing as they despise us.

Playoff wise, I have to say I'd like to see Forest up personally. I think the Cup run this year has shown what a sold out City Ground can be like. Proper club, would ignite some good rivalries including the Leicester games. The midlands needs a bit of new blood up there. 

Whether they do it or not, I don't know. No one's mentioning Sheffield United and yet, they have crept up there. They are solid too so I'd say they will be difficult to beat if they get in.

I get the shouts for Luton but in all honesty, once it gets to October and the fad of having a new club is gone, they won't offer much IMO.

• Subscriber

Bournemouth will definitely make up those games in hand and benefit from them. Fulham are looking a cert to go up barring some sort of dramatic decline in form. I'd like to see Blackburn and Middlesbrough go up too. Got some good memories of seeing Blackburn in the top flight and the Tyne/Tees derbies will be very interesting if Boro go up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Luton now in 3rd!!

Their run in doesn't even look that bad. Of their 8 remaining, their toughest are probably Huddersfield, Forest and Fulham.

Blackburn heading the wrong way... 

44 minutes ago, Stan said:

Wonder if their stadium would meet the criteria for a PL ground? 

Think because they have a new one in the works the Premier League would work around it. It would be a niche selling point for a season or two.

• Subscriber

Jesus. Top 2 no doubt but after that it’s insanely close. Whoever gets to the playoffs you simply cannot call it. If we make the playoffs I’ll be buzzing but we have played more games and look dogshit. I got my hopes up so badly earlier in the season. FML.

13 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Jesus. Top 2 no doubt but after that it’s insanely close. Whoever gets to the playoffs you simply cannot call it. If we make the playoffs I’ll be buzzing but we have played more games and look dogshit. I got my hopes up so badly earlier in the season. FML.

Darragh Lenihan being injured is another big blow but at least you should be able to hold him another season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Apart from Fulham, it's changed a lot in the space of a month (or just over)!

image.png

Forest are absolutely flying. 9th to 3rd in the space of 5 games. Not even out of the question that they get 2nd spot, either.

Blackburn have only picked up 6 pts in 6 games, causing a drop to outside of the top 6. Luton are one side that have capitalised. 

Coventry and QPR have also dropped like flies - QPR have only picked up 3 points from their last 6. Coventry unexpectedly beating just about keeps them in contention, although unlikely. 

Next games:
Huddersfield vs Luton (tonight)
Luton vs Nottm Forest
Birmingham vs Coventry
Peterborough vs Blackburn
Preston vs Millwall
Sheff Utd 
vs Reading
Huddersfield vs QPR
Derby vs Fulham

Despite losing the last two I still think Wilder will get Middlesbrough over the line. There Best chance of promotion is hopeing Forest go up automatically as they seem like a different beast at the minute.

I was hopeing Blackburn would do it but at the minute I'm not confident they'll make the playoffs. Huddersfield are winning games they should be drawing and Sheffield United are a very good side at this level regardless of there form in the first half of the season.

52 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Despite losing the last two I still think Wilder will get Middlesbrough over the line. There Best chance of promotion is hopeing Forest go up automatically as they seem like a different beast at the minute.

Thought this was the most confused boxing take of the century for a good minute there

All in our hands now, as even if Middlesbrough win I doubt they will top our goal difference. 

Cardiff at home next, then QPR away, then finally Fulham at home. 

Getting past QPR will be tough, we beat them earlier in the season but given they’re in the mixer as well, there is a lot to play for there. Fulham at home, when they’ve already been promoted + we’ve beaten them already this season and that was away from home too, gives us some hope.

6 hours ago, DNA said:

All in our hands now, as even if Middlesbrough win I doubt they will top our goal difference. 

Cardiff at home next, then QPR away, then finally Fulham at home. 

Getting past QPR will be tough, we beat them earlier in the season but given they’re in the mixer as well, there is a lot to play for there. Fulham at home, when they’ve already been promoted + we’ve beaten them already this season and that was away from home too, gives us some hope.

You'll beat us comfortably. We struggle to create chances and when we do, we struggle to put them away.

• Administrator

image.png

Fulham promoted.

Bournemouth have the benefit of games in hand and a 4pt buffer over 3rd. They can't secure play-offs until Forest have played a couple more, as they also have games in hand (one of them being against each other). 

Still looks like 3 of 4 play-off places secured (currently Huddersfield, Luton, Forest). Then 4 points separate 6-11th - all teams barring Middlesbrough have 3 games remaining.
Luton can secure their play-off place if they beat Blackpool in the early kick-off on Saturday and Millwall don't beat Birmingham later. 

Next games
Huddersfield vs Barnsley
Luton vs Blackpool
Birmingham vs Millwall
Peterborough vs Nottm Forest
Sheff Utd vs Cardiff
Stoke vs QPR
Swansea vs Middlesbrough
West Brom vs Coventry
Preston vs Blackburn

That Solanke 98th min equaliser on Saturday could be huge, but its another 2pts Forest have chalked off the gap now.

5pt gap, 4 to play for each.

Forest have to go to Fulham Tuesday whilst Bournemouth are at Swansea.

In an ideal world, the gap is 3pts or less by the time Forest go to Bournemouth next Tuesday. Nothing to seperate them goal difference wise, that could be a virtual playoff for 2nd.

Archived