talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Burnley 3-2 Everton - Wednesday 6th April, 2022

It's funny how many people write off a team or change their tune off the back of a result but there is so much football to be played yet. Everton aren't buried for me simply by the way they kinda fluked that Newcastle win. Just have to have a bit of luck and catch a team when they don't particularly care or have minds elsewhere.

Couple big problems Everton have at the mo when I see them mind.

They concede goals too easy. I think they desperately need Allan back to help the defence.

They don't trust Dele Alli or El Ghazi to bring on, which can't be great for team morale when the other options are so flaky.

Can't get Calvert-Lewin in the game. I guess this is more to do with Lampard wanting his team to build up play more than just sling crosses in but the player looks badly out of touch, perhaps needs taking out the spotlight and used as an impact sub.

Big game the weekend for them and Lampard. A negative result coupled with results elsewhere, and you could see the board panicking like fuck with a 10 day break or so and appointing an interim. 

Everyone looks ahead at their games and predicts losses all over the shop but I don't think its so straight forward. Only takes a bizarre moment to change your fortunes but equally, you cant help yourself if you don't try different things.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Couple big problems Everton have at the mo when I see them.

They concede goals too easy. I think they desperately need Allan back to help the defence.

They don't trust Dele Alli or El Ghazi to bring on, which can't be great for team morale when the other options are so flaky.

Can't get Calvert-Lewin in the game. I guess this is more to do with Lampard wanting his team to build up play more than just sling crosses in but the player looks badly out of touch, perhaps needs taking out the spotlight and used as an impact sub.

Big game the weekend for them and Lampard. A negative result coupled with results elsewhere, and you could see the board panicking like fuck with a 10 day break or so and appointing an interim. 

As @Cicero says. You made your bed, now lie in it. 

"With that in mind, I'd call it "bold" to be making some of these claims about a 25 year old player who has a track record of sustained, elite-ish levels of performance at a Champions League team, even if we haven't seen it recently."

How you feeling now @RandoEFC?

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's funny how many people write off a team or change their tune off the back of a result but there is so much football to be played yet. Everton aren't buried for me simply by the way they kinda fluked that Newcastle win. Just have to have a bit of luck and catch a team when they don't particularly care or have minds elsewhere

They might beat us at Goodison but they have to play us away, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea within their next 6. It's a horrible run and once getting through that they play Watford, by which time they'll probably be in the bottom three. Burnley's run seems far more favourable and the win today will give them a massive boost. 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Just curious what you're thinking is here. I don't want to come across as entitled and I've said plenty in the past about wanting to see historically big clubs like Villa, Leeds and Newcastle be in the top flight for similar reasons. I'm aware that Everton offer very little of value at the moment but I also don't see what appeal Burnley have to bring to the table either apart from the novelty value. I mean I do get that but personally with them I'm pretty bored of it and not just because I have a vested interest. They've been around doing their thing for what 7-8 seasons now? I have nothing but respect for what Dyche has achieved on that budget but meh, I don't know what they really add this far down the line. Again, no illusions about how tedious our presence is in the top flight either.

I'll get to my main point anyway. Burnley couldn't even sell out a massive home game like that tonight and there were Everton fans buying tickets for the Main Stand because they were going spare. I always think that it feels a bit less of a travesty to see a club of that nature consigned to the Championship than the likes of Everton or Leeds with the support they have selling out home and away every week without fail. Not trying to begrudge clubs with less of a following their deserved place in the top flight if they do a better job of earning it but I think you can see elements of exciting projects at Palace, Brighton, Brentford, Wolves, etc. With Burnley I just don't see it personally, if we're talking about them bringing something to the "good of the league".

Dumb debate anyway though to be fair xD.

Burnley consistently have one of the lowest wage and transfer bills in the league and generally punch above their weight or just stay in the division. There’s a productivity there that I like. I get that they’re small, don’t play a great brand of football and struggle to sell out their stadium. The last bit is a reality for small town/city clubs in the north west though I believe, least it is for Blackburn. I’m not really taken by “big” clubs just for being big though, numbers can be good yeah but the arrogance is off the scale. That’s not personal at Everton, just the vibe from “big” clubs in the Championship who couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

Everton have consistently overspent for years on a whole range of poorly thought out signings and honestly I think going down might do the whole club some good, but more than that I’d rather not see Everton in the league next year than watch you make the same mistakes again. It’s just become boring and the club as a whole has gone stale. If you end up doing a Wolves or West Ham then that’s a different story but it’s been a while since we got those performances from you.

Nothing against Everton as a club or fanbase but I think the league as a whole would benefit from you not being in it for a season or two, certainly not wishing a Leeds 2 decade drop on you. An Everton comeback story with some talented youth would be a lot better than what your owners have served up season after season.

Everton were poor once again, they just seem to have a weak spine to their team. Branthwaite and Godfrey were really bad at the back for Everton today. I don't know how Everton are going to stop their poor form, but they need to buck their ideas up quickly if they want to avoid the drop.

• Subscriber

Thing with Everton is I think if they drop they're more likely to do what Sunderland have done in League One than come back up.

Long way to go yet but I really think I'm favouring them to drop on that showing. That was an absolutely criminal way to lose.

Bizarrely I kind of fancy them to get a result off Manchester United though. I think they're a good side to play at the minute. They're equally dysfunctional, albeit with more talent.

Still having to play Everton twice is making our league season a bit interesting again.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

As @Cicero says. You made your bed, now lie in it. 

How you feeling now @RandoEFC?

Yeah it's not been a great start, not sure if there's some politics going on to limit his appearances to save money on those clauses.

6 hours ago, Danny said:

Burnley consistently have one of the lowest wage and transfer bills in the league and generally punch above their weight or just stay in the division. There’s a productivity there that I like. I get that they’re small, don’t play a great brand of football and struggle to sell out their stadium. The last bit is a reality for small town/city clubs in the north west though I believe, least it is for Blackburn. I’m not really taken by “big” clubs just for being big though, numbers can be good yeah but the arrogance is off the scale. That’s not personal at Everton, just the vibe from “big” clubs in the Championship who couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

Everton have consistently overspent for years on a whole range of poorly thought out signings and honestly I think going down might do the whole club some good, but more than that I’d rather not see Everton in the league next year than watch you make the same mistakes again. It’s just become boring and the club as a whole has gone stale. If you end up doing a Wolves or West Ham then that’s a different story but it’s been a while since we got those performances from you.

Nothing against Everton as a club or fanbase but I think the league as a whole would benefit from you not being in it for a season or two, certainly not wishing a Leeds 2 decade drop on you. An Everton comeback story with some talented youth would be a lot better than what your owners have served up season after season.

Fair. Under the current ownership I would fully anticipate a Leeds/Sunderland outcome for us if we went down though. The board can't help but do stupid shit at every turn that takes the club in the wrong direction. There's no reason to believe we'll suddenly get a sensible plan put in place to bounce back stronger. Don't see any change if we stay up either though.

• The title was changed to Burnley 3-2 Everton - Wednesday 6th April, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived