talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League Transfers

24 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

One for @The Palace Fan.

We've signed Connor Wickham on a free transfer.

Didn't realise he's only 29. Feels like he's been around for ages.

The 'next Alan Shearer' according to Football Manager 2011.

To be honest I'd be amazed if he can stay fit until the end of the season. His body just isn't made to be a footballer.

A big 'what if' footballer but I'm glad he got his Wembley moment for us.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

My mate mentioned this one to me the other day. Fair play, that's a hell of a signing for League Two.

Was doing a job for Derby just last season wasn't he?

Yeah, albeit Paul Warne likes a pressing forward and he's a Notts County fan, so all the parts were in place for this move.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Looks like we've got a deal agreed with Tom Cairney. 

If he was a few years older I'd be well up for it. 

But 32? I'm skeptical. 

Disagree. Think it would be a great signing for you in this league.

Not just in terms of ability, but he's captain material. To get promoted, you need some leaders in the team and I imagine he'd be a strong presence in the changing room.

My only worry would be fitness. Seems to have suffered a few niggly injuries in recent years. But when he plays, he's still influential in games I'd say. I would certainly have took him at Leeds.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Given the number of signings we're going to make this summer it's hard to really judge each one yet on an individual basis as so much of it depends on the context in which they fit into the squad. To put it simpler if Cairney is signed as well as a number of younger players I think it's a smart move, but I don't want us anchoring ourselves to a load of players who aren't good enough in a year.

Does surprise me he's that old. I thought he was about 28 when we were first linked. He is a good player at this level though - I think a decent move, but just don't give him a stupid contract. Two years, I'm hoping.

• Subscriber

Been linked to Gustav Isaksen as well, Danish winger at Midtjylland, 22 years old and just scored 18 goals in 31 games. Highly rated. He seems like the sort of player who would represent quite a gamble as a Premier League club but as a side wanting to go up from the Championship a real coup. Right profile of player for me. Only red flag for me is the fact Brentford haven't gone for him.

• Subscriber

Happy with our signings so far!

Abo Eisa, Danny Rose (the striker version), Toby Malarkey and Donovan Wilson. All established talents in the league.

And then last night, we re-signed Charles Vernam on a 3 year deal from Lincoln which is a great signing for us as he really made an impact last time.

• Subscriber

We do need to get a bit of a move on. We are likely to need 10+ signings this window. While I'm not expecting everything done by 21st June, I've lost any trust in the process here after the last couple of years that we're getting things done. Nothing sounds close. I want something this week.

Martyn Glover I expect will have loads of names lined up. Now we just need to negotiate them. That's where things are probably going to fall down.

8 hours ago, Danny said:

Have Norwich got much young talent in their team? Because those transfers don't scream "let's have another crack at staying up in the Prem if we get up", they scream "here comes the yoyo".

I think it's an end of an era for that Norwich side.

They never replaced Buendia. Pukki's left now, Max Aarons has gone from being coveted by Bayern to just being a solid Championship player, Cantwell derailed pretty fast and the rebuild see's them having to wheel and deal a bit.

I wouldn't write them off but equally, I think there will be better equipped sides than them for promotion.