talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best and Worst Run Clubs

football forums

A common discussion that needs it's own thread. 

Assessment of clubs about how they have operated historically and in contemporary times given their resources and other shit.

Rate their performance on a scale from 0-7, if you like

• The title was changed to Best and Worst Run Clubs
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Under our previous regime: 3.0
Now: 6.5

Our new owners are honestly a breath of fresh air! Very community focused and know what they want to do to progress the club in a good way.

Atalanta have always struck me as a well run club in recent times.

I remember when they used to be pretty shocking football wise in the 90's but since they finished 4th in 2016, the club has been on a steady rise, and firmly back in the public eye accross Europe.

Off the pitch, they are one of the few clubs to keep making a profit. Infact their operating revenue has tripled since 2016 which has seen them help bridge the gap financially to some of the more traditional bigger clubs in Serie A. I'm pretty sure I read a while back they were the top club in Serie A for accumulated profit over the last five years.

This is partly due to the commercial profile of the club increasing, as well as the reward of constant European participation.

They are one of the few clubs to actually lower the percentage of their staff costs to reduce expendature and due to a successful acadamy, they are developing some great talent and selling them on for big fee's.

Infact, they have been very clever when it comes to player trading in general, replacing the 'big' players poached by the bigger clubs with players they feel they can develop and sell on for bigger profit. 

The fact they have remained competitive shows how well their player recruitment is.

• Subscriber

From Serie A I'd put Napoli in that discussion as well.  They are a bigger club but I'd consider them right there with Atalanta.  Sassuolo is another example.

• Subscriber

I'm well torn on us these days. I think we've done some exceptional things and the fact we've elevated ourselves to this position alone, over a fairly decent period of time is testamant to being well run, but I do feel like complacency has kicked in a bit. We're the only club along with Girona in the top 5 leagues of Europe to have signed nobody this summer and it's virtually entirely because of a situation we've bought ourselves into. That isn't a sign of somebody well run.

That said you cannot argue with over the longer term we have punched above our weight big time. Out of 7? I'll go 5 but there was a point where I'd have had us 6.5.

Archived