The better place to talk football.

Man City 4-2 Tottenham - Thursday 19th January, 2023

football forum

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Why did he sign a new contract?  I think Pep is bored at City and needs a new challenge,  maybe West ham or Leicester

xD why would he come to us? It's too much of a challenge. 

12 hours ago, Lucas said:

Pep's interview is a must watch.

This doesn't surprise me tbh, look at City's departures. Sterling, Jesus, Zinchenko, Fernandinho. These are players who are constantly in and around the match-day squad, have been in and around the team as it has won league title after league title.

The players they've signed from Dortmund and Leeds aren't used to high their standards, you've got a key player in Silva who doesn't want to be at the club, it doesn't surprise me that there is an attitude problem as this is a team that is in transition.

• The title was changed to Man City 4-2 Tottenham - Thursday 19th January, 2023
  • The topic was unpinned
3 hours ago, Danny said:

This doesn't surprise me tbh, look at City's departures. Sterling, Jesus, Zinchenko, Fernandinho. These are players who are constantly in and around the match-day squad, have been in and around the team as it has won league title after league title.

The players they've signed from Dortmund and Leeds aren't used to high their standards, you've got a key player in Silva who doesn't want to be at the club, it doesn't surprise me that there is an attitude problem as this is a team that is in transition.

I disagree with you saying about the incomings. Phillips has hardly played due to injury, Haaland has done what he's bought to do, score goals and Alverez has been good in his cameo spells.

I actually think it's the exisiting players who have perhaps lost the appetite tbh.

Ederson, Walker, Cancelo, Gundogan, Silva, Foden, possibly even De Bruyne.

We've seen throughout the season, the likes of Walker and Cancelo dropped more than they have ever been. Cancelo especially, who was pretty much a stalwart in the team on the RIght or Left has been ousted by Rico Lewis, Pep's been rewarding him for his hunger.

Ederson has no serious competition, he gets so bored back there he ends up not concentrating and making mistakes like last night.

Gundogan and Silva, in and out the side, as you mentioned the latter probably doesn't want to be there now.

Even Foden hasn't been holding down a starting place due to his form and he had established him as a First Team regular. 

This happens and I think the difference this year is they are competing against a side that now believe they can win it and are dead hungry for it. City need to rediscover this hunger, especially in time for the Champions League, their main objective, but that's all part of the challenge for Guardiola in the evolution of this team.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I disagree with you saying about the incomings. Phillips has hardly played due to injury, Haaland has done what he's bought to do, score goals and Alverez has been good in his cameo spells.

I actually think it's the exisiting players who have perhaps lost the appetite tbh.

Ederson, Walker, Cancelo, Gundogan, Silva, Foden, possibly even De Bruyne.

We've seen throughout the season, the likes of Walker and Cancelo dropped more than they have ever been. Cancelo especially, who was pretty much a stalwart in the team on the RIght or Left has been ousted by Rico Lewis, Pep's been rewarding him for his hunger.

Ederson has no serious competition, he gets so bored back there he ends up not concentrating and making mistakes like last night.

Gundogan and Silva, in and out the side, as you mentioned the latter probably doesn't want to be there now.

Even Foden hasn't been holding down a starting place due to his form and he had established him as a First Team regular. 

This happens and I think the difference this year is they are competing against a side that now believe they can win it and are dead hungry for it. City need to rediscover this hunger, especially in time for the Champions League, their main objective, but that's all part of the challenge for Guardiola in the evolution of this team.

My point about the new players is that they also have to come in and apply the right attitude all of the time. Sterling became out of favour at City because he wouldn't sign a new contract and didn't wanna be rotated, but he was still bagging goals. Jesus' work ethic has been immediately clear at Arsenal this season, he plays to win everytime, Zinchenko just a wider part of that squad that is used to playing to win. Fernandinho was a stalwart of the club, took on the leadership role once Kompany left, now there's no Kompany and no Fernandinho they have to get someone else to step up.

I don't think de Bruyne has lost the appetite, he plays like a man that is dragging the team by the scruff of the neck at times. I like the Rico Lewis inclusion, I think part of the reason he plays so much is because he seems to be a natural wing back in the Pep mold and does it to a high level. But when I've watched Walker on the pitch he just looks so calm, composed and focused.

I'm sure there are players who have been there long-term who are questioning whether they want to stay, whether they want a new challenge, but I think ultimately they have lost some big personalities in the dressing room that just want to get the job done. One of the reasons they done so well last season with no real CF was because of the depth in the wings, but they've sold Torres, Sterling and Jesus who could all help play in those roles. Jesus specifically was so important towards the end of the season I believe?

I just think they've lost key players that made them a machine that mentally only knows how to win, but also they've had to change their style and adjust to new players coming in and tbh mixing both the leadership and tactics at the club up is probably always going to lead to a slump as they look to find what Man City should look like now.

Archived