talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(CL R16) - Eintracht Frankfurt 0-2 Napoli - Tuesday 21st February, 2023 (1st Leg)

• The title was changed to (CL R16) - Eintracht Frankfurt vs Napoli - Tuesday 21st February, 2023 (1st Leg)
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You might see Napoli as slight favorites. The term upset for a Frankfurt win is a stretch, in my opinion, though.

I think the Serie A is more difficult overall than the Bundesliga, and Napoli have lost just once all year.

Frankfurt are holding onto the last European spot in Germany, which to means solidifies as an upset if Frankfurt were to advance. Napoli this year are on a whole different level, it's unreal.

• Administrator

Don't think Frankfurt should be underestimated. Wouldn't be a surprise if they won at home. Napoli are ridiculously strong this year, but Frankfurt are a very good side. Maybe Napoli will win, but could be a narrow victory.

Just now, Stan said:

Don't think Frankfurt should be underestimated. Wouldn't be a surprise if they won at home. Napoli are ridiculously strong this year, but Frankfurt are a very good side. Maybe Napoli will win, but could be a narrow victory.

As I said, Frankfurt are giant killers and have been for a few years. No one is underestimating them here, at least not me. However the point is Napoli are strong favourites for this.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Goku de la Boca said:

As I said, Frankfurt are giant killers and have been for a few years. No one is underestimating them here, at least not me. However the point is Napoli are strong favourites for this.

But you've said it would be an upset. I don't class it as an upset if they won tonight :what:

By default, saying it is an upset would mean you are underestimating them. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Most certainly could be a narrow victory for either side, but I have the feeling that the chances of this being 'comfortable' for Napoli are higher that not.

At this stage in the CL, there are rarely 'easy' matchups. I would consider Brugges to be the weakest team left, with Frankfurt maybe the second weakest side remaining. The main difference in the draws is that I think Napoli is much more dangerous than Benfica, which is why I slated this as the matchup I feel most comfortable picking a winner.

• The title was changed to (CL R16) - Eintracht Frankfurt 0-1 Napoli - Tuesday 21st February, 2023 (1st Leg)
12 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Napoli are great to watch this season. 

Kvaratskeila and Osimhen will be subject to massive bids in the summer, surely? Both on absolute fire this season and great talents.

Kvaratskeila has been rumored to be Real's big target.

Osimhen I've heard to England.

Stats show Napoli being dominant, but I'm not watching to confirm.

11 minutes ago, Eco said:

Napoli up 2-0 now and Frankfurt only have 10 men.

I think Napoli are a lot better than people think, as they should have 3 or 4 goals.

If people don't think Napoli are brilliant this season, they've not been paying attention to the Serie A enough. I think they're one of the best teams in Europe right now.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If people don't think Napoli are brilliant this season, they've not been paying attention to the Serie A enough. I think they're one of the best teams in Europe right now.

I completely agree, which is why I suggested it's be an upset if Frankfurt were to win this tie.

Just now, Eco said:

I completely agree, which is why I suggested it's be an upset if Frankfurt were to win this tie.

Yeah I agree with that too. Even if Napoli were just slight favourites (and imo, I think they were big favourites because of the way they're running away with their league - granted, I know fuck all about German football), it'd still be an upset for Frankfurt because they'd have defied the odds.

6 hours ago, Eco said:

I think the Serie A is more difficult overall than the Bundesliga, and Napoli have lost just once all year.

Frankfurt are holding onto the last European spot in Germany, which to means solidifies as an upset if Frankfurt were to advance. Napoli this year are on a whole different level, it's unreal.

More difficult in what sense? I think the Bundesliga has proven that it is a stronger league than Serie A for several years now. But I do agree that Napoli were deserved favourites against Frankfurt today, because Napoli are far and away the best team in Italy and they are also one of the best teams in Europe at the moment. The bookies though only made Napoli slight favourites and they were not even odds on to win the match before kick-off.

Kolo Muani's sending off at the start of the 2nd half didn't help Frankfurt's cause, but Napoli deserved the win. Napoli will be a difficult opponent for any side in Europe this season, as they look strong in all areas of the field. They really play well as a team unit and the players always battle very hard for each other.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

More difficult in what sense? I think the Bundesliga has proven that it is a stronger league than Serie A for several years now.

I think Napoli, Inter, Juve, and Lazio, and Roma are better than the top 5 teams in Germany. The two are close on the UEFA country coefficients, but I usually take that with some grain of salt as Germany has one annual giant, and then Dortmund has their year every 5 or so years, whereas it's more spread out with the Italian teams.

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I think Napoli, Inter, Juve, and Lazio, and Roma are better than the top 5 teams in Germany. The two are close on the UEFA country coefficients, but I usually take that with some grain of salt as Germany has one annual giant, and then Dortmund has their year every 5 or so years, whereas it's more spread out with the Italian teams.

A few years ago you disagreed with me on this ;) 

1 minute ago, Goku de la Boca said:

A few years ago you disagreed with me on this ;) 

Well, things change. A few years ago Sevilla was winning the Europa league every other year, and Atletico and Real Madrid were battling for the CL title.

The Serie A have been in a slump, especially financially, for the past decade, but they do appear to be coming back. At their height, they have some of the most historical and dominant clubs in any league. Napoli and Juve are both getting better and better, Milan have improved greatly over the past 5 years, and Inter has remained somewhat consistent. Roma and Lazio are both struggling some with getting high profile names, but they have shown signs of life in the league which has been refreshing to see.

Just now, Eco said:

Well, things change. A few years ago Sevilla was winning the Europa league every other year, and Atletico and Real Madrid were battling for the CL title.

The Serie A have been in a slump, especially financially, for the past decade, but they do appear to be coming back. At their height, they have some of the most historical and dominant clubs in any league. Napoli and Juve are both getting better and better, Milan have improved greatly over the past 5 years, and Inter has remained somewhat consistent. Roma and Lazio are both struggling some with getting high profile names, but they have shown signs of life in the league which has been refreshing to see.

The funny thing is I don't know if I entirely agree anymore. I'm definitely not an expert as I haven't seen a second of either the Bundesliga or Serie A this year and I don't really have a right to give a definitive opinion. However, I have noticed that Juve's decline didn't do the league's reputation any favours. They've struggled a bit more in Europe because none of the last 2 champions have been anywhere near what Juve used to be. Napoli look decent now, and it would be interesting to see if they can go all the way, and I definitely get your points on the secondary teams (for lack of a better term) improving. I've always been a big advocate on rating the league as a whole and not just the top teams.

if the Bundesliga still defends as poorly as they do the last time I saw it, I find it tough to call them a top 2 league in Europe, but Serie A isn't as defensive as they claim either. At least it was that the last time I got to see them regularly.

2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

The funny thing is I don't know if I entirely agree anymore. I'm definitely not an expert as I haven't seen a second of either the Bundesliga or Serie A this year and I don't really have a right to give a definitive opinion. However, I have noticed that Juve's decline didn't do the league's reputation any favours. They've struggled a bit more in Europe because none of the last 2 champions have been anywhere near what Juve used to be. Napoli look decent now, and it would be interesting to see if they can go all the way, and I definitely get your points on the secondary teams (for lack of a better term) improving. I've always been a big advocate on rating the league as a whole and not just the top teams.

if the Bundesliga still defends as poorly as they do the last time I saw it, I find it tough to call them a top 2 league in Europe, but Serie A isn't as defensive as they claim either. At least it was that the last time I got to see them regularly.

Neither one of them are a top 2 league in Europe as those belong to England and Spain respectively.

Juve are a good team Not great, but really good. Don't be confused by the standings in the table as they were (stop when you've heard this before) caught cheating and thus deducted points.

• The title was changed to (CL R16) - Eintracht Frankfurt 0-2 Napoli - Tuesday 21st February, 2023 (1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived