talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

football forum

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

The bias in the BBC commentary is hilarious. All those Aussie chances met with monotone and delay like nothing was happening. Then screams for England's chance and goal xD class

Yeah it's like Neville and Carra on Man Utd/Liverpool games.

The screams in the background xD 

Hilarious to hear the boos of England women.

Awesome achievement to reach the final. Captain Williamson injured, Ballon D'or Mead injured, Kirby injured, White retired, Jill Scott retired.

And one of the players of the tournament Alex Greenwood steps in. Carter plays well. Toone & James contribute. Zelem has made a few appearances. And Russo has scored a few. 

Lauren Hemp for next Ballon D'or? Between her & Greenwood for England's player of the tournament for me. They are so much easier to watch than the England men..

Can not take anything at all for granted, but England women need their own star (apparently) and England kids of both genders would take something from an England team winning a World Cup.

42 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Hilarious to hear the boos of England women.

Awesome achievement to reach the final. Captain Williamson injured, Ballon D'or Mead injured, Kirby injured, White retired, Jill Scott retired.

And one of the players of the tournament Alex Greenwood steps in. Carter plays well. Toone & James contribute. Zelem has made a few appearances. And Russo has scored a few. 

Lauren Hemp for next Ballon D'or? Between her & Greenwood for England's player of the tournament for me. They are so much easier to watch than the England men..

Can not take anything at all for granted, but England women need their own star (apparently) and England kids of both genders would take something from an England team winning a World Cup.

I think this kind of attitude holds womens football back, it's always compared with the mens game and commented on with a pinch of arrogance. It should be treated on its own merit and the women congratulated for what they have achieved.

21 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I think this kind of attitude holds womens football back, it's always compared with the mens game and commented on with a pinch of arrogance. It should be treated on its own merit and the women congratulated for what they have achieved.

I commented how enjoyable it's been compared to men. But, keep right on with whatever virtue you feel you own better than me.

And yes, FIFA & the BBC reporting its the 1st World Cup final for an England team since 1966 !

Also in minor headlines Toone the 1st English player ever to score in a Q Final, Semi Final & Final of a major tournament ! 

As a special niche interest Rachel Daly has been the 1st active Aston Villa player to score for England at a World Cup finals since David Platt in 1990 !

And you know Mr Virtuous ? I compared which women are out with which women stepped up !

I have seen teenage males in England tops ! Hence my comment both genders will take plenty from an England win !

The sheer arrogant, passive sexist unequal affront of it all ! Hey ?!

With the respect it sorely deserves, comments like yours & a great many other male-female Brownie point seekers want way too much moral high ground. And are the 1s letting off arrogant stink bombs with no rhyme or reason. 

Share your views on the women, the matches, the tournament ? Perhaps that better demonstrates your more highly developed equality ! 

Edited by Reluctant Striker

I have been listening to Vindaloo 2 for the last few weeks.

I posted a link to it way back.

I had a tear in my eye when I knew this England women's team had made it to the World Cup Final.

I have been wearing something red, white, or both, every day they have played a match in this tournament.

I feel proud of them.

Any of you, especially the English football fans, that have not commented on most matches, as I have, but feel inclined to jump in & make bizarre comments suggesting higher grounds.. Step right up ! I'm here till Sunday !

The English FA suggesting it is open to Sarina Wiegman becoming mens football manager. Probably well intentioned, but does seem a bit weird to specify.

Laura Woods, ITV presenter of both mens & women's world cups in UK, thinks women's football should not be compared to mens, because Sally Gunnell & other Olympic athletes are-were not. And thinks women's football should be enjoyed for being its own thing. Ok Laura Woods.. but I do think you are addressing the middle men. What happens when another female presenter or female footballer is all about equality? Which can have a very different implication than just being appreciated for what it is in itself. Or another female does not see female sport as really, properly, truly valid (those females do exist..) What then? What conversation or response is given in that scenario? For me, it involves acknowledgement of different levels of physicality, speed, etc, etc. And then leads on to suggestions of enjoying it for what it is. And IMO, such conversations need to be endured, if they are troublesome in some way. Because for many people, women's football & female presenters in mens football are very, very, very new & have not been around anywhere near as long as the Olympics. So will take time to be absorbed into culture.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

• Subscriber

TBF Sweden really did well in the tournament and their goalkeeper in particular was outstanding. Shame they got 3rd place but I think its going to be a cakewalk for England in the finals. I can't see this Spanish side putting up the same kind of resilience that the Swedes would have. 

The England Euro 2022 Q Final was a narrow 2-1 aet win over Spain. England coming from behind.

The semi final was a 4-0 demolition of Sweden.

Strangely Fara Williams & Alex Scott thought Spain reaching the final was cause for celebration.

I have read suggestions the Spain squad & management are not really a unified group.

I do feel confident in this England side. That they are just on a roll & this is their era right now. Lauren Hemp has started reminding of a male player in his prime. I will not say who, but he won a trophy fairly recently. It is the most confident I can remember being of any England football side. But, Australia were very nearly 2-2, with Sam Kerr putting a good chance wide. From a goalkeeping punch Pickford would have been absolutely hammered over. A route to the final of Nigeria, Columbia & Australia. I do think Spain could be the toughest opponent yet. 

• The topic was unpinned