talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Winks - Spurs to Leicester

football forum

• Administrator

Leicester City are set to move for Harry Winks, the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, as they prepare for a promotion challenge following their recent relegation to the Championship.

Winks has emerged as a target for Enzo Maresca, the new Leicester manager, and negotiations are understood to be under way over a potential deal.

Tottenham are in talks with Leicester over the transfer of James Maddison, the England international, but the Winks deal is unconnected.

Maresca believes Winks, another England international, has the ability and versatility to become a key part of his squad in the Championship.

Winks has just over one year left on his contract and will be allowed to leave as part of a major overhaul this summer by new head coach Ange Postecoglou.

The 27-year-old has found first-team opportunities limited in recent seasons and spent the last campaign on loan in Serie A with Sampdoria.

Leicester return to pre-season training under Maresca on Monday, as they prepare for the forthcoming season in the Championship.

telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/27/leicester-transfer-news-enzo-maresca-want-spurs-harry-winks/

One of those players that isn't glamorous and doesn't have the exotic name, but 'could do a job'. If it helps us get back up, then so be it, as that's the main goal. Just worry about the fee/wages...

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Stan said:

telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/27/leicester-transfer-news-enzo-maresca-want-spurs-harry-winks/

One of those players that isn't glamorous and doesn't have the exotic name, but 'could do a job'. If it helps us get back up, then so be it, as that's the main goal. Just worry about the fee/wages...

Honestly, think he’s being massively underrated by your fanbase. And I totally understand that. But he would do more than ‘do a job’ - he would be one of the best players in the championship, and your new gaffer would love him. He lost his way a bit with us, largely through style of play we were playing and confidence if I’m honest. But he will be so good in the championship at setting the tempo and progressing play. He was the stand out in, albeit a relegated, Sampdoria side last year after injury and he’s shown he can perform in two major European leagues now. Some of our fans criticise him far too much too so I wouldn’t read too much into what they say either. Needs a fresh start but can almost guarantee he’s one of the signings of the summer for you at that level. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Storts said:

Honestly, think he’s being massively underrated by your fanbase. And I totally understand that. But he would do more than ‘do a job’ - he would be one of the best players in the championship, and your new gaffer would love him. He lost his way a bit with us, largely through style of play we were playing and confidence if I’m honest. But he will be so good in the championship at setting the tempo and progressing play. He was the stand out in, albeit a relegated, Sampdoria side last year after injury and he’s shown he can perform in two major European leagues now. Some of our fans criticise him far too much too so I wouldn’t read too much into what they say either. Needs a fresh start but can almost guarantee he’s one of the signings of the summer for you at that level. 

I got the same sort of impression in that he's a clearly quite talented player, he was on the cusp of England a few years ago, he looked like he could be that controller England have just never had but he tailed off. Stylistically it feels a very good fit in that sense.

I'm more encouraged by this than I was. Might be the move that he needs. I can't really knock him for last season - Sampdoria are appalling.

It was a signing I didn't want when we were linked in January but a league below, I think it's smart. I'd take him now, I think in Leicester's circumstances it's a good move.

£10m is a big fee for down here but that will feel like peanuts if he becomes one of the best players in this division. Never a guarantee that happens of course, but you'd fancy him to excel.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
On 27/06/2023 at 11:32, Storts said:

Very early days I know but seen your fans raving about him already. Very pleased he’s playing so well 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Storts said:

Very early days I know but seen your fans raving about him already. Very pleased he’s playing so well 

Class. Just makes things tick and progress with the ball. And in this system he flourishes. Already a level above based on matches I've seen and non-Leicester games. 

• Subscriber

He's a really good bit of recruitment. The theory that he's a good player playing in the wrong setups for a while at Spurs holds a lot of truth for me based on the early evidence.

It's a clever buy. We've caught a player too good for this league when his stock was at its lowest. Probably the best player we could've realistically attracted in his position.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Danny said:

In fairness Winks always looked like he had it in him to play at the level Spurs needed, it just never worked out. Not surprised he’s smashing it

Yeah ironically I actually think he left just as Spurs got the manager who'd have worked for him. It's sort of suited all parties particularly given it's probably what swung Maddison to going there as well.

I like Winks, seems a really good character too. Coup from us.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Im not sure he's the best player in the divison but he's certainly in the conversation with the likes of KDH and Clarke.

It's hard to give that title to a full back but Leif Davis has been exceptionally good aswell.

To be honest he is. KDH played a blinder during the celebrations to hold him back from getting a booking as he'd have then been out against Leeds and that would've been a huge loss. He won't put up the numbers that others do but he's the metronome in the team. Pretty much entirely goes through him.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Pretty sure he's the best player this division has ever had and probably ever will have... 

He's great but this league has had Vardy, Mahrez and Grealish in the last decade and those three have become undoubtedly elite players whilst Winks hasn't. I do think Winks is almost wasted in this league though, it really did tail off a bit at Tottenham, England don't really have any midfielders with his skillset, he's almost more of a Spanish type midfielder.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Dan said:

He's great but this league has had Vardy, Mahrez and Grealish in the last decade and those three have become undoubtedly elite players whilst Winks hasn't. I do think Winks is almost wasted in this league though, it really did tail off a bit at Tottenham, England don't really have any midfielders with his skillset, he's almost more of a Spanish type midfielder.

I wasn't serious haha

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dan said:

Well he does have Spanish ancestry on his mums side, he might have qualified to play for Spain can’t remember

He's a funny one Winks.

Some players need to make a step back to get them going again because let's be honest, every team that were struggling to stay up last year in the Premier League chose not to take him.

Important not to get massively carried away by his ability in a division below but he's clearly able to flourish more in Leicester's system for a team that should dominate 90% of the games they play. More importantly, feeling like a big fish in a small pond does wonders for confidence too.

I did see him when I went to the Saints game down here and he did look good that night for sure. Mind you, the gaps Southampton left for Leicester to exploit that night were horrific.

As I said in the matchday thread, actually haven't seen enough of Leicester this season to really comment on his performance level but statistically you can see he's performing really well on paper, so should imagine he's been easy on the eye.

Will get a fairer understanding of what he's like tomorrow I'm sure. Will actually be interesting to see his quality against someone like Ethan Ampadu whose really impressed me for us this season.

It's the kind of game that can tell us a lot about our own player, let alone Winks.

On 01/11/2023 at 00:15, Danny said:

Let’s be honest the greatest player to play in the Championship was probably Adel Taraabt

Adel Taarabt, Ruben Neves, Riyad Mahrez, Jack Grealish, Gareth Bale, Kevin Nolan, Adam Lallana, Aleksander Mitrovic... if I put more thought in to it I doubt after 14 games he makes the top ten.

28 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Adel Taarabt, Ruben Neves, Riyad Mahrez, Jack Grealish, Gareth Bale, Kevin Nolan, Adam Lallana, Aleksander Mitrovic... if I put more thought in to it I doubt after 14 games he makes the top ten.

No one has a better highlight reel which is the truest marker of success lol.

And how dare you put Mitrovic in ahead of Watkins and Toney