talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cheick Doucoure - Linked with Liverpool Again

football forum

12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

This started as a 'rumour' on football 365 and news sites have copied it so I'm not worried.

I hope it's true because I think he's a good fit for us compared to some of the other names we've been linked to.

Is it wrong of me to not want Kalvin Phillips at all? He's been one linked name that won't go away and I just don't think he'd really fit in with us at all.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is it wrong of me to not want Kalvin Phillips at all? He's been one linked name that won't go away and I just don't think he'd really fit in with us at all.

Hasn't played much really so I can see why you wouldn't want him. Then again with the midfield they had there you can see why he never got as much game time as he would have somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope it's true because I think he's a good fit for us compared to some of the other names we've been linked to.

I don't think he has Fabinho's distribution (which is hardly a criticism) but in terms of reading the game, breaking up play, positioning, tackling etc I think Klopp would love him. 

I think he'd be better than Lavia, who may well turn in to a World Class player, as Doucoure is more composed and doesnt make mistakes that leafs to goals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I don't think he has Fabinho's distribution (which is hardly a criticism) but in terms of reading the game, breaking up play, positioning, tackling etc I think Klopp would love him. 

I think he'd be better than Lavia, who may well turn in to a World Class player, as Doucoure is more composed and doesnt make mistakes that leafs to goals.

Yeah, I don't think he's got quite the distribution of Fabinho... but we did just add Mac Allister and Szoboszlai to the midfield so overall our midfield should overall have a better range of passing than it did before we started using Trent as a fullback-midfielder hybrid (and tbh... I want to see that continue because he was brilliant in that role).

Everything else you want to see in a midfielder like him, as you say, he's got all of those skills. I think he's a really good player and I fully understand why Palace have put a "fuck off" price tag on him. But to me, he just seems like the right sort of player to fit into our new-look midfield and make an immediate impact.

I like Lavia as a player, but with Fabinho & Jordan of Arabia fucking off, I'd be much more keen on us making a signing of a player that I think would make a more immediate impact and has a bit more experience than Lavia's less than 30 professional matches. Between Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, and Firmino... that's a lot of experience (and players with winning mentalities) lost in our changing rooms. Doucoure's young, but he's got 4 years of playing at a high level under his belt at just 23 years of age. His first year in the prem was very impressive

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Hasn't played much really so I can see why you wouldn't want him. Then again with the midfield they had there you can see why he never got as much game time as he would have somewhere else.

I'm much more keen on Doucoure or Lavia than Phillips. Phillips is older than both of them... and for his age, really doesn't have that much more experience than Lavia in top flight football. I think every positive quality Phillips has to offer us... Doucoure's better and Lavia's got the potential to be better. I'd rather persist with throwing Bajcetic in the deep end again than sign Phillips tbh, regardless of the experience he's got on Lavia and Bajcetic.

Is that harsh on him after he looked good for Leeds and looked alright for England (good in the Euros, not so much after that imo). Maybe I'm looking at how he hardly got a match for City and thinking he's not cut out for playing for a side that has big ambitions. Like you say, with the midfield they have you can see why he never got as much gametime as he would have somewhere else. By the same token, I can't help but feel if he was actually good enough to play for a side that could challenge Man City... he'd have made more appearances for Man City.

I can't help but feel he'd cost too much for what he'd likely add to the side. Every time I see his name linked with us, I just think "no thanks."

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Cheick Doucoure - Linked with Liverpool Again
6 hours ago, Danny said:

Feel like he’s actually what Liverpool need more so than Lavia was

Yeah, I agree (see above).

Honestly, if not landing Caicedo & Lavia ends up with me getting a player I wanted more... lol, I'm okay with the club looking inept for a bit. I think this guy's perfect for what we need.