talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rugby World Cup - 2023

football forum

• Subscriber

Anyone going to watch it? I have mentioned in here many a time that I do love Rugby and tonight it's France v New Zealand on ITV, and believe it or not the wife likes watching rugby so I have a sole mate here tonight watching it even though her beloved soap operas have been binned for the night.

Rugby World Cup 2023 - SymbolFixtures

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/matches

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've had some kind fixtures in this tournament haven't we. Seems to have fallen really well for us whwn you consider Ireland had to play the All Blacks in a Quarter Final yesterday.

But here we are, a semi final next week and it won't be against New Zealand.

We won't be favourites and we're not playing at the level we were at in Japan in '19, but we'll have a fighters chance against France or South Africa. We could win ugly.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

We've had some kind fixtures in this tournament haven't we. Seems to have fallen really well for us whwn you consider Ireland had to play the All Blacks in a Quarter Final yesterday.

But here we are, a semi final next week and it won't be against New Zealand.

We won't be favourites and we're not playing at the level we were at in Japan in '19, but we'll have a fighters chance against France or South Africa. We could win ugly.

I think we'll get beaten by France. Maybe not as easy as I thought but I think we will. Which is so annoying because we lost to them in the football as well. We have been lucky with the draw but we had to play Australia, new Zealand and South Africa in the last tournament. And to be honest part of it is because the aussies were poor 

Yeah, something really odd with England having not one other elite nation side in the group. And then somehow getting Fiji rather than Australia or Wales in the Quarters.

But really does not seem like England are an actual contender to win.

Cricket is sort of my 2nd team sport. Never been sure of either rugby. But Union does somehow pitch itself better I think. It's 6 Nations thing. The world cup, that had the 'world in union' theme for a while. I think a lot of the mild notice takers would tend toward Union.

Watched Ireland Nz Z yesterday, shame Ireland lost but thats the All Blacks for you.

Was hoping Fiji could cause an upset earlier, a tiny country that much like Tonga and Samoa are raided for talent consistently. Would have been great to see them in the semi-final and put in a shout to jump into the Championship

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

France v South Africa will go down as one of the best games in history such was the quality on show.

Our game next week against South Africa will be a very niggly one. It might suit us.

In many ways our game against Ireland may be a blessing,  we were ill disciplined and failed to execute on key chances,  however the loss meant we avoided New Zealand who are with no disrespect to France,  pedigree winners.    

France vs Ireland was the pencilled in final,  then it was over,  this was probably the Northern teams best chance of winning the trophy. 

I agree with stan,  the QF's were all very good games,  and cracking result for Argentina. 

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

France v South Africa will go down as one of the best games in history such was the quality on show.

Our game next week against South Africa will be a very niggly one. It might suit us.

I didn't watch the France v South Africa game but someone told me we have no chance of beating them 

16 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I didn't watch the France v South Africa game but someone told me we have no chance of beating them 

I wouldn't say no chance, we could win it ugly. But they are overwhelming favourites.

It's actually about time we beat South Africa in the World Cup. They have beaten us in two finals and knocked us out of a Quarter Final in '99.

We do owe them one.

23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I wouldn't say no chance, we could win it ugly. But they are overwhelming favourites.

It's actually about time we beat South Africa in the World Cup. They have beaten us in two finals and knocked us out of a Quarter Final in '99.

We do owe them one.

nah

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

We do owe them one.

And the 36.0 in the pool stage in 2007. We did beat them in 2003 though. But you always have a chance in a cup game. If we perform ar our best and they don't we have a chance. 

If they play like they did against France will it just be a case of they will have to much for us or could we still beat them?

On 17/10/2023 at 13:48, Lucas said:

So close. South Africa led for 2mins of that game. Very lucky to squeak through because they were second best for large parts.

All Blacks will win it regardless. Peaking at the right time, they look like they are back in the groove. 

• Upvote 1