The better place to talk football.

Scotland vs England - Tuesday 12th September, 2023

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted about this in England thread !

Liked seeing Dunk & Guehi start. And how comfortable they were.

Tomori & Colwill must be so disappointed. Maguire is on now. And scoring a beauty of an o.g.

The first half made a mockery of 'The Rest is Football' view that there is no depth behind Maguire. Compared to bountiful choices in midfield.

Not sure I like Bellingham as a 10. A 3 with him, Rice & one other. There are plenty for the 1 other. The obvious midfielders. Also Maddison. Foden. TAA. Grealish. Ramsey.

Maybe it's the past sides with Platt-Gascoigne or Gerrard-Lampard. The rarity of seeing Ince-Batty. It is just difficult to imagine Southgate choosing a midfield that feels very forward thinking. But I don't think there are too many sides that justify needing both Rice & Phillips.

Only caught the highlights but I think that’s that for Maddison? When he and Bellingham played together they kept playing in the same spaces, trying to make the same passes work. But you see today when we take Maddison out who kept drifting centrally to take the ball on the half turn and play forward, and we play someone like Rashford who is going to stretch the game and continuously make runs, it improves the team so much more. For me the only way you’re getting Maddison into that team is to replace Jude when he’s injured or if Jude gets dropped deeper, but it‘s madness to do that.

On a separate note I hope Phillips gets some first team football because he played well with Rice, that is the midfield base I want tbh unless Trent gets chucked in alongside Phillips which would be great.

All these calls for Foden to play centrally, the kid is a winger, plays his best football on the wings for club and country, don’t see the need to crowbar him into the middle of the park when his running and dribbling is his biggest asset.

This was a dominant performance from England away from home. Scotland have become a decent side in recent years, but they were outclassed by England in this match at Hampden Park. Sure, you could say it was only a friendly, but we all know the friendly matches between England and Scotland are always taken very seriously.  

Bellingham was world class and the man of the match, but Kane, Foden, Rashford, Rice, Phillips, Saka, Guehi, Dunk and Walker all really impressed against the Scots. Southgate will be very pleased with this performance and he is really spoilt for choice with the talent that he has at his disposal. I honestly can't think of many national teams around the world that have as many talented players than England do right now. 

27 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Poor old 'Arry', comes on and scores an og for Scotland, that guy just can't win :rofl:

Poor old 'Arry', everyone was singing his praises only a couple of years ago. But at the moment, he can't seem to do anything right.

9 hours ago, Michael said:

This was a dominant performance from England away from home. Scotland have become a decent side in recent years, but they were outclassed by England in this match at Hampden Park. Sure, you could say it was only a friendly, but we all know the friendly matches between England and Scotland are always taken very seriously.  

Bellingham was world class and the man of the match, but Kane, Foden, Rashford, Rice, Phillips, Saka, Guehi, Dunk and Walker all really impressed against the Scots. Southgate will be very pleased with this performance and he is really spoilt for choice with the talent that he has at his disposal. I honestly can't think of many national teams around the world that have as many talented players than England do right now.

I was thinking about this today in relation to the Euros and I think that you’d put France ahead of us and then chuck Croatia, Portugal, Netherlands and maybe Spain in with us as teams who should be expecting a SF or final at the Euros.

• The topic was unpinned