talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who is going to be Germany's next Manager?

football forum

Who will take over?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be Germany's next manager?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Louis van Gaal
    • Jürgen Klopp
    • Oliver Glasner
    • Felix Magath
    • Lothar Matthäus
    • Rudi Völler stays on
    • Other (please specify)

I thought van Gaal had retired from coaching after the World Cup. Having said that, I think he's a really good option for Germany. He's someone who can build a team and give it cohesion in a short time, and you can definitely count that he will demand german players to give it all. 

Germany needs a quick fix, to be somewhat competitive in less than a year and that was exactly what he did for Netherlands in last year's World Cup. He took over in 2021 and while his dutch team didn't play brilliant football, it was a really tough team to beat.

Edited by El Profesor

10 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I thought van Gaal had retired from coaching after the World Cup. Having said that, I think he's a really good option for Germany. He's someone who can build a team and give it cohesion in a short time, and you can definitely count that he will demand german players to give it all. 

Germany needs a quick fix, to be somewhat competitive in less than a year and that was exactly what he did for Netherlands in last year's World Cup. He took over in 2021 and while his dutch team didn't play brilliant football, it was a really tough team to beat.

I believe he said that he was done with club football but he's still interested in managing a national team.

In all honesty I'd say van Gaal or Nagelsmann.  Bayern have offered up Nagelsmann for free now as long as the DFB pays all of his salary.  I'm not sure that his personality would work with the national team players though as he is known to be pouty and abrasive if he doesn't get his way.

I am intrigued about van Gaal though.  I'd be happy with that appointment.

Nagelsmann, van Gaal, Klopp, Glasner, Magath, Matthaus and Voller have all indeed been mentioned as potential candidates to be the next long term manager for the German national team, but you forgot to also list Matthias Sammer and Stefan Kuntz, who have also been touted as the next potential manager of Germany. In fact, Sammer is apparently Lothar Matthaus's choice to be the next Germany manager.

But as it stands, it seems like Nagelsmann is the favourite. However, if Germany are going to choose a foreign manager, I'd prefer van Gaal to Glasner, simply because he has a lot of experience of managing national teams and being relatively successful with them.

If Germany choose a German manager, I think that any of Sammer, Kuntz, Voller or Klopp would do a good job. As much as I admired Matthaus as a player, his record as manager of teams hasn't been great and I think that with his temperament, he could potentially fall out with players. I feel a similar way with Magath, he has had a tendency in the past to fall out with players. 

Me. Finally strikers will play up front, midfielders will play in the midfield, defenders will defend, Neuer will only play 1 more game (a testimonial against Brazil). Things like the way different players affect each other on the pitch, and the specific roles players fill for their clubs will be important and considered.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Nagelsmann, van Gaal, Klopp, Glasner, Magath, Matthaus and Voller have all indeed been mentioned as potential candidates to be the next long term manager for the German national team, but you forgot to also list Matthias Sammer and Stefan Kuntz, who have also been touted as the next potential manager of Germany. In fact, Sammer is apparently Lothar Matthaus's choice to be the next Germany manager.

But as it stands, it seems like Nagelsmann is the favourite. However, if Germany are going to choose a foreign manager, I'd prefer van Gaal to Glasner, simply because he has a lot of experience of managing national teams and being relatively successful with them.

If Germany choose a German manager, I think that any of Sammer, Kuntz, Voller or Klopp would do a good job. As much as I admired Matthaus as a player, his record as manager of teams hasn't been great and I think that with his temperament, he could potentially fall out with players. I feel a similar way with Magath, he has had a tendency in the past to fall out with players. 

Aggravating the issue you mentioned Matthäus is, to use a German expression, as dumb as 100m dirt road. Appointing him would only lead to DFB becoming the laughing stock of German sports.

I'd even say Matthäus favoring Sammer as a manager is an indication it might be sensible to look to someone else.

EDIT: In an ideal world the best German manager knowing the Buli inside out would become national manager. Unfortunately Christian Streich leaving Freiburg is even less likely than Klopp leaving Liverpool, though.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2