talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 5 - 16-18th September, 2023

football forum

1 minute ago, Danny said:

This has been a poor game overall, we started well and got worse. Newcastle have been average throughout, gifted the game to them. They might get 3 points today but this is a worrying performance for them

Yeah you gifted them that win, which is frustrating. I hope Milan take out their frustrations in midweek. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah you gifted them that win, which is frustrating. I hope Milan take out their frustrations in midweek. 

yeah it’s frustrating. the gameplan was decent until then and I thought the longer we keep it at 0-0, the better chance we have late on bringing Schade on to catch their defence. Unfortunately once theyre 1-0 up they dont need to push so high.

Henry is a massive loss too.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

image.thumb.png.06116707cc727137936f4a3c557c2a96.png

Its the lack of consistency i find jarring. They spent ages at the monitor to see whether something that was supposed to be 'clear and obvious' was a penalty, and then missed the blatant encroachment.

I thought encroachment didn't matter if the penalty was scored? 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Rick said:

Hickey got a yellow for him blocking Pope, Almiron does even worse and nothing. 

Craig Pawson is easily the worst ref in the country, and that’s saying something. 

He is really bad. Don't like him one bit. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

This has been a poor game overall, we started well and got worse. Newcastle have been average throughout, gifted the game to them. They might get 3 points today but this is a worrying performance for them

Not a worrying performance on its own for me, maybe in a few weeks it might be re-read as part of a wider concern. I don't read it that way yet because we were under huge pressure to win and this looked just like those occasions last season. A couple of bad results stifles the ability to play free flowing football and you find yourself just having to grind out a result at home. 

A huge part of football is psychological. Our mentality has been sliding so this is massive to start moving forward again.

We haven't found the form working 11 yet.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Not a worrying performance on its own for me, maybe in a few weeks it might be re-read as part of a wider concern. I don't read it that way yet because we were under huge pressure to win and this looked just like those occasions last season. A couple of bad results stifles the ability to play free flowing football and you find yourself just having to grind out a result at home. 

A huge part of football is psychological. Our mentality has been sliding so this is massive to start moving forward again.

We haven't found the form working 11 yet.

I was wondering if this was going to be a game where we rested some players and maybe went with more energy and youth.   While Burn had one massive defensive play,  his inclusion at left back is questionable and teams pin us back because Burn can't play out and he offers nothing going forward.  I thought we may have at least seen Lewis Hall play if not Livramento as well.   Burn and Trippier look old and leggy. 

27 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I was wondering if this was going to be a game where we rested some players and maybe went with more energy and youth.   While Burn had one massive defensive play,  his inclusion at left back is questionable and teams pin us back because Burn can't play out and he offers nothing going forward.  I thought we may have at least seen Lewis Hall play if not Livramento as well.   Burn and Trippier look old and leggy. 

We are all waiting for Hall to start aren't we. With desperate hope. Burn is out of form at the minute. It's more than just his limitations.

Overall it looked like a good performance from us. We are getting the maximum out of our thin squad. We got tired at the end and im more frustrated we didnt have options on the bench than the 50/50 penalty call.

The big concern is the situation every Palace fan saw happening is happening. Olise, Franca, Guehi, Lerma, Tomkins, Ferguson all already out and now concerns for Ayew and Johnstone. We are not prepared, we don't have the numbers and were dropping points because weve got no game changers on the bench. The board have once again failed Roy and we're going to be leaning on his experience heavily until at least Christmas but most likely until he retires.

• Administrator

About 5 players surround the ref there and not one of them booked. I would say the lack of consistency is bizarre but it's just so unsurprising.

The game itself remains an absolute borefest.

• The topic was unpinned