talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

Just now, LFCMike said:

Sounds like Klopp is going to give Ward a chance to prove himself as number 1. I'll be disappointed if we don't sign a keeper but if we don't, then I think Ward is the only other option really isn't he? 

I was going to post that: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-set-14900193.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I think Klopp's sort of doing what he did with VvD - he's got his target, if he can't get him he's willing to wait rather than spend a shitload on someone who he's not totally convinced on. But at the same time, I'm not really all that excited by Ward being the keeper we start the season with; he had a good playoff run with Huddersfield… but before that wasn't considered all that special. I think he got some good reviews in Scotland though, but who knows what that means.

But yeah, if we're not signing a new keeper then Ward is basically the only other option. I'd rather go with Karius than Mignolet and I don't want to go with Karius. Ward it is?

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I was going to post that: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-set-14900193.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I think Klopp's sort of doing what he did with VvD - he's got his target, if he can't get him he's willing to wait rather than spend a shitload on someone who he's not totally convinced on. But at the same time, I'm not really all that excited by Ward being the keeper we start the season with; he had a good playoff run with Huddersfield… but before that wasn't considered all that special. I think he got some good reviews in Scotland though, but who knows what that means.

But yeah, if we're not signing a new keeper then Ward is basically the only other option. I'd rather go with Karius than Mignolet and I don't want to go with Karius. Ward it is?

Yeah I totally understand the not wanting to spend big money if Klopp wants to wait for a target and not spend on what would be a slight upgrade. I just can't see a situation where Karius starting the season has a positive outcome for us. The lad is mentally weak and has shown he can't handle the pressure.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LFCMike said:

No but whether we sign one this summer is what I was questioning

Yeah I wasn't referring to your comment tbh mate, more the one a few above who claimed we were out of the race for Allison. 

As far as I know we are still in for a keeper or so all the reliables reckon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah I totally understand the not wanting to spend big money if Klopp wants to wait for a target and not spend on what would be a slight upgrade. I just can't see a situation where Karius starting the season has a positive outcome for us. The lad is mentally weak and has shown he can't handle the pressure.

Yeah, I don't think you can be a top keeper if you've got such fragile confidence. I think it'd be hard for any young keeper to recover from those mistakes in the CL, he's clearly not moved on from it and it's impacting his game currently. I can't imagine him coming back from it to be honest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I think you're the first person I've come across who's actually bought into this concussion nonsense

It isn't nonsense, but no surprise to see you being as cynical as possible about the club as usual.

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I wasn't referring to your comment tbh mate, more the one a few above who claimed we were out of the race for Allison. 

As far as I know we are still in for a keeper or so all the reliables reckon. 

Roma want big money if they're to sell Allison mate and he simply isn't worth that. I think the stories we're now seeing about Ward are a pretty strong indicator we're unlikely to sign another keeper.

30 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It isn't nonsense, but no surprise to see you being as cynical as possible about the club as usual.

Roma want big money if they're to sell Allison mate and he simply isn't worth that. I think the stories we're now seeing about Ward are a pretty strong indicator we're unlikely to sign another keeper.

Yeah I don't think he's worth it either, not from what I've seen anyway. We always seem to have one of these Saga's every fucking window xD

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I don't think he's worth it either, not from what I've seen anyway. We always seem to have one of these Saga's every fucking window xD

Looks like we've got 2 sagas this summer. Fekir & Allison (or another goalkeeper). I actually feel a bit for Karius because the rest of his LFC career is going to be under a microscope and every mistake he makes is going to get him slaughtered... but at the same time, we can't be relying on a keeper.

Looks like we've got 2 sagas this summer. Fekir & Allison (or another goalkeeper). I actually feel a bit for Karius because the rest of his LFC career is going to be under a microscope and every mistake he makes is going to get him slaughtered... but at the same time, we can't be relying on a keeper.

He was actually very good for a spell up until the CL final but unfortunately those mistakes will have totally wrecked his confidence. I'd be happy with him as number 2 but there's no way we can rely on him as number 1 now he's shattered. 

Ward isn't the answer either. Klopp has seen him in training for the past 12 months and never once felt inclined to even put him on the bench. It's a stretch for anyone to think that Klopp will now insert him as number 1, it's just not gonna happen. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

He was actually very good for a spell up until the CL final but unfortunately those mistakes will have totally wrecked his confidence. I'd be happy with him as number 2 but there's no way we can rely on him as number 1 now he's shattered. 

Ward isn't the answer either. Klopp has seen him in training for the past 12 months and never once felt inclined to even put him on the bench. It's a stretch for anyone to think that Klopp will now insert him as number 1, it's just not gonna happen. 

I think it's telling he's willing to give Ward a chance. I don't think he'd do it unless he'd lost all faith in Karius and Mignolet, I don't think he rates Ward all that much. But he knows his pal David Wagner rates him, so maybe that's why he's thinking "fuck it, I'll give him a shot."

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's telling he's willing to give Ward a chance. I don't think he'd do it unless he'd lost all faith in Karius and Mignolet, I don't think he rates Ward all that much. But he knows his pal David Wagner rates him, so maybe that's why he's thinking "fuck it, I'll give him a shot."

Has Klopp actually said he's giving Ward a shot? Genuine question because I've not seen anyone reliable reporting this. The only reliable journo's I know of have said we are still interested in Allison and Oblak. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Has Klopp actually said he's giving Ward a shot? Genuine question because I've not seen anyone reliable reporting this. The only reliable journo's I know of have said we are still interested in Allison and Oblak. 

Just the article from the Echo that I posted... but it's not by Pearce, so it's less reliable. But the Echo is usually more clued in on what's going on behind the scenes with us than virtually every source unless it's from a journalist like Maddock or Reddy.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Just the article from the Echo that I posted... but it's not by Pearce, so it's less reliable. But the Echo is usually more clued in on what's going on behind the scenes with us than virtually every source unless it's from a journalist like Maddock or Reddy.

I trust Joyce more than any of them to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I trust Joyce more than any of them to be honest. 

Maddock and Pearce are the 2 I trust the most. Reddy's pretty close with Klopp though, so she's had some decent info from time to time.

*edit* and on that note, here's Maddock: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/danny-ward-given-chance-stake-12907215.amp?1=&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Maddock and Pearce are the 2 I trust the most. Reddy's pretty close with Klopp though, so she's had some decent info from time to time.

What you reckon to shaqiri signing? Medical booked for later today - £13.75m

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

What you reckon to shaqiri signing? Medical booked for later today - £13.75m

Think it's pretty much nailed on & I'm going to stick with my thoughts from the Shaqiri thread. Trust your gut and all that. I thought it was a bit weird of a link, but he's got pace, he's got good passing range, he gets in dangerous positions for crosses and shots, and he's coming in to be a backup winger.

He's a better backup winger than Lallana, Origi, or Solanke - none of whom are wingers (and Lallana's the only one of those I actually rate lol). We need depth. I'm not going to complain about a depth signing made at a price which (in this market at least) is a snip compared to what he'd probably have costed if Stoke hadn't been relegated.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Think it's pretty much nailed on & I'm going to stick with my thoughts from the Shaqiri thread. Trust your gut and all that. I thought it was a bit weird of a link, but he's got pace, he's got good passing range, he gets in dangerous positions for crosses and shots, and he's coming in to be a backup winger.

He's a better backup winger than Lallana, Origi, or Solanke - none of whom are wingers (and Lallana's the only one of those I actually rate lol). We need depth. I'm not going to complain about a depth signing made at a price which (in this market at least) is a snip compared to what he'd probably have costed if Stoke hadn't been relegated.

That's pretty much my thoughts too. He's a great set piece taker as well which is something that we are missing. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

That's pretty much my thoughts too. He's a great set piece taker as well which is something that we are missing. 

We sold Jordan Ibe for the same price... so I'm really not too fussed about this transfer. Pretty low risk for us, if his attitude is as big of a problem as some Stoke fans believe I think he'll find himself getting the Sakho treatment. Told to train with the reserves and if that doesn't shape him up, he'll be told to train alone. And if that doesn't shape him up and he goes full Sakho, he'll be told "just stay at home will ya lad" like Sakho and be frozen out for a few months before we can get some other club who'll put up with that kind of shite to agree to take him away. Or he'll have no attitude issues and be a quality depth signing. Also from the stuff I've seen from Stoke fans on reddit they've been giving him the same criticism they gave Arnautovic… who ended the season as one of the better players at West Ham... might not be the best judges of a players quality in all honesty.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We sold Jordan Ibe for the same price... so I'm really not too fussed about this transfer. Pretty low risk for us, if his attitude is as big of a problem as some Stoke fans believe I think he'll find himself getting the Sakho treatment. Told to train with the reserves and if that doesn't shape him up, he'll be told to train alone. And if that doesn't shape him up and he goes full Sakho, he'll be told "just stay at home will ya lad" like Sakho and be frozen out for a few months before we can get some other club who'll put up with that kind of shite to agree to take him away. Or he'll have no attitude issues and be a quality depth signing. Also from the stuff I've seen from Stoke fans on reddit they've been giving him the same criticism they gave Arnautovic… who ended the season as one of the better players at West Ham... might not be the best judges of a players quality in all honesty.

I'm actually warming to this signing. Bringing Shaqiri on with 20 minutes left instead of Ings or Solanke makes me smile. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Mad how people will just believe anything a football club feeds to them

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

I actually hope Shaqiri works out for us. Has the pace and the will sometimes to do some serious damage on the flanks. If he gets bedded in like the rest of the players no one thought would do well this is going to help in the longer run to nullify the problem of losing pace and energy later on in games.

8 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Mad how people will just believe anything a football club feeds to them

Whatever, mate, you see it your way, I see it mine. But honestly if I thought the club lied as frequently and as egregiously as you do, I don't know how I'd be able to continue supporting them.

• Haha 1