talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup 2023/24 - Third Round Matches

football forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

@Stan, remember when I said we can't defend for shit? xD

Currently losing 4-2. Looks like the 2-6-2 formation isn't working well today.

As long as Blackburn don't do the same on Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

An early lead but eventual loss, including a Jota goal and the usual abysmal officiating. Just the standard trip to Anfield for us.

Scoring early on against us is a kiss of death this season, it seems - although without that abysmal officiating, not sure you would have gotten that goal. Coady saved Leicester from a pretty humbling result tbh. Ref must have been huffing glue though, made a number of errors throughout the match.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Scoring early on against us is a kiss of death this season, it seems - although without that abysmal officiating, not sure you would have gotten that goal. Coady saved Leicester from a pretty humbling result tbh. Ref must have been huffing glue though, made a number of errors throughout the match.

Yeah can't blame him for the result despite his performance. Liverpool just go through the gears and we don't have an answer by the end. I've seen that game many a time.

Don't have a strong feeling on it. Not a priority competition this year and I'd sooner go out in this round than the usual, which is beat another couple of lower league teams and then have this exact game take place in the quarter finals. Where we'll have 46 games we could do without the extras. Launch proper cup runs when we're back up.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah can't blame him for the result despite his performance. Liverpool just go through the gears and we don't have an answer by the end. I've seen that game many a time.

Don't have a strong feeling on it. Not a priority competition this year and I'd sooner go out in this round than the usual, which is beat another couple of lower league teams and then have this exact game take place in the quarter finals. Where we'll have 46 games we could do without the extras. Launch proper cup runs when we're back up.

Looking at your league form, I think you'll go up pretty comfortably tbh. For us that was a really good performance from the "B team" against probably the best side in the Championship on paper... and probably on the pitch as well (although Ipswitch are having a good start to the season). So aside from moving onto the next round, which is obviously important, I think that was a good match from our POV in hoping we've got the depth to have a truly competitive side this season.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Looking at your league form, I think you'll go up pretty comfortably tbh. For us that was a really good performance from the "B team" against probably the best side in the Championship on paper... and probably on the pitch as well (although Ipswitch are having a good start to the season). So aside from moving onto the next round, which is obviously important, I think that was a good match from our POV in hoping we've got the depth to have a truly competitive side this season.

I do as well, I think we've picked up post international break, to have 7 wins in 8 when not really at our best tells me our ceiling is quite high - I mean it should be really. We went down with I think debatably the best squad to ever go down and we've taken in big money for some of them, despite losing a couple on frees as well. We've spent quite a lot of money and have the biggest wage bill I think this league's ever had. So yeah, the circumstances definitely suit us but we did take a bit of a punt on this manager, he's paying off though, been impressed by him.

We did change ten ourselves tonight. It actually wasn't totally dissimilar to the pre-season game back in July where we played pretty well for half an hour but you just totally overwhelmed us by the end. A decent test for both teams with a pretty obvious outcome (I said to my mate 3-1 with us going ahead before kick off, wish I'd backed it). The Football League schedule simply doesn't supplement a good run in this cup given every game is midweek, I hate taking this attitude to the cups as I've never been keen on it but I can forgive it for a year if we get promoted, and it was an absolutely rank draw for us anyway. I think I'd sooner have that than just pad it out an extra two rounds.

But yeah well played, with Man City's exit you're possibly favourites to take the trophy for me now. The 4th round draw has fallen well for you too with Arsenal having a banana skin and one of Man Utd / Newcastle out.

• Upvote 1

• The topic was unpinned