football forum

• The title was changed to Tony Mowbray Sacked by Sunderland
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Pretty harsh when he was asked to do a job after the club sold their only striker.  

Weird one that 

"The Black Cats have won just two of their past nine league games and have slipped to ninth, having made the play-offs last season.
"
BBC Sport

I'ts not as if they have slipped into the relegation zone or whatnot?

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Pretty harsh when he was asked to do a job after the club sold their only striker.  

Their only striker? Isn't Rusyn a striker? Isn't Burstow a striker? Isn't Luis Semedo a striker?

I personally think that it's probably a good decision to get rid of Mowbray now, since Sunderland's performances, weren't meeting expectations in terms of results and consistency. 19 matches into the Championship season and they have already lost 8 league matches. For a team that was looking for a serious crack at promotion this season, I don't think that losing that many matches at this stage of the season is really acceptable. I have to personally question some of Mowbray's selection choices during some matches as well. But at the end of the day, I think this is probably the right time to find a new manager that can get better results and help them with their push for promotion.

they championship is a ruthless league with 10 or so clubs on a level playing field.  Yes the results have stuttered but if you change a manager who encourages attacking football and good with youngsters, you open up a problem with the successor.   

they will have to nail their appointment as if they get it wrong, it will be anarchy.

Bruce is 12/1, that's not good

• Administrator

Think it is a harsh sacking. A dip in form, yes. But isn't it also a very young squad? 

I thought he was doing alright. Important they keep Jack Clarke in January. He's big for them. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Think it is a harsh sacking. A dip in form, yes. But isn't it also a very young squad? 

I thought he was doing alright. Important they keep Jack Clarke in January. He's big for them. 

They do,  and Mowbray was able to nurture them well.    If you go on last seasons form,  they seem to be following the same pattern so I don't think there was reason to panic just yet.   In my opinion I though he was doing a fabulous job with little financial backing. 

Either way his is gone and in May we will be able to decide whether it was a good or bad move. 

Typical, just as we play them next week. Nee bloke will be in for his first home game v us on a midweek game. Just know that's gonna be doubly difficult now, had the same thing at Rotherham the other week.

Considering he took over last year and led them to playoffs, it feels harsh to me. He deserved backing in the January window for sure because it's not as if they were even playing bad football.

Sunderland are a top striker away from having a real Top 6 side for me. They have a young squad anyway but they basically have kids to choose from upfront and are heavily reliant on Jack Clarke.

They create a lot of chances, they just miss that talismanic striker, be it a permanent or loan. But the owners have panicked. I think they feel a bit of pressure to go up this season or it will just get harder and harder and they can't afford patience.

Ultimately, it might work for them if they back the new guy but I think it will hurt a lot of members of Sunderland's squad seeing Mowbray go.

Let's be blunt, he has been sacked for over achieving last season. The talk of him being replaced after losing to Luton would have been one of the most harsh sackings in EFL history. Since then it feels like hes been on borrowed time given the kid that owns them seems content on turning them in to a Temu version of PSG. So i imagine the next manager will be a name we've not heard of that's used to managing in front of 5000 people and we can judge the owner from that.

• 1 month later...