talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Blue Cards/Sin Bins to be Introduced

football forum

• Administrator

Load of shite and another nail in the coffin of modern football. Punish cynical fouls and dissent properly in the first place and you wouldn't need this. 

• The title was changed to Blue Cards/Sin Bins to be Introduced

What an absolutely moronic idea. Adding another layer of complexity for the referees who struggle to even get the basics right consistently is farcical.

I can’t even imagine how irritating this will be given how referees can’t be counted on to show consistency even in the same match.

Every single rule change in the last 5-6 years has been a fucking disaster imo. These referees don’t need more power to fuck football up more than they have.

I honestly can’t believe they’re going to go ahead with this. When you’ve got recent matches where a player gets booked for dissent for waving their arm at a referee after they’ve disagreed with the shit decision they’ve made, but players in the same match not getting a booking for screaming at the ref every chance they get… how can we expect this to be implemented well.

Assuming it did make its way to the prem, would VAR have some involvement with this?

Just thinking as red cards get checked now and this would basically be sending a player off for 10 minutes, which could change a game.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

The idea is a fine one, the application of it will not be. All it will do is create periods of ultra defensive football till a player is out of the bin. This isn’t rugby, or hockey where these rules do work.

Edited by Spike

6 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Assuming it did make its way to the prem, would VAR have some involvement with this?

Just thinking as red cards get checked now and this would basically be sending a player off for 10 minutes, which could change a game.

I doubt the people in charge have thought it through that far

Just stay consistent with the current rules for dissent and the culture will change, but there are things happening now that players would have seen a yellow for at the start.

I think I was in favour of a sinbin approach before, but like @Spike said, it'll just slow the game down and cause teams to unnecessarily park the bus.

FIFA say these reports aren’t true.

But I’m expecting the follow up to be “it’s not blue it’s turquoise” or something stupid like that. But let’s hope this bad idea is just some shit rumour & that it’s a red card for the Torygraph for making stuff up.

• Subscriber

I think VAR's biggest problem is that the premise of it taking attention away from the officials couldn't have been further wrong. It's just made that an even bigger central part of the discussion.

This is just more of the same. It will create more boring debates. It's another symptom of the state of refereeing - which this specifically doesn't address.

Load of rubbish.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

FIFA say these reports aren’t true.

But I’m expecting the follow up to be “it’s not blue it’s turquoise” or something stupid like that. But let’s hope this bad idea is just some shit rumour & that it’s a red card for the Torygraph for making stuff up.

They say it's not true that it's being brought into 'elite football levels' just yet, and will be tried in lower levels of the system.

But then I've also seen a headline that it's being introduced in the FA Cup next season...

The rule should be implemented that only the club captain can approach the ref.  I thought that was the whole premise of a captain, to take charge on the pitch, lead by example, and be vocal when necessary.  

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Coma said:

The rule should be implemented that only the club captain can approach the ref.  I thought that was the whole premise of a captain, to take charge on the pitch, lead by example, and be vocal when necessary.  

That falls apart within seconds on the pitch, in the Premier League at least. Referees seem too soft these days and won't brandish out the yellows/reds even if they get a faceful of abuse from any given player.

If more referees actually had the bollocks to whip out the cards whenever someone backchats or verbally abuses them, the issue would soon improve. Nowadays players know they can get away with dishing it out a few times before a ref even considers talking to them.

Referees lost respect ages ago (even before VAR). It seems minor, but they don't stamp their authority like they used to, and they want to be centre of attention too much. I've noticed the older generation referees (10yrs + or so ago?) wouldn't go chasing players to book them or talk to them. They'd stand their ground and be assertive enough to ask players to come to them. These days, refs are so weak they'll go up to the player and not actually give out the punishment, consistently, to players. It's like they're scared to do things by the book. 

If every other player other than the captain got booked because they approached the ref when they shouldn't have do, there'll soon be a wind of change for the better. At least refs might not feel pressured into making decisions if it was successfully implemented that only captains end up talking to them. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

That falls apart within seconds on the pitch, in the Premier League at least. Referees seem too soft these days and won't brandish out the yellows/reds even if they get a faceful of abuse from any given player.

If more referees actually had the bollocks to whip out the cards whenever someone backchats or verbally abuses them, the issue would soon improve. Nowadays players know they can get away with dishing it out a few times before a ref even considers talking to them.

Referees lost respect ages ago (even before VAR). It seems minor, but they don't stamp their authority like they used to, and they want to be centre of attention too much. I've noticed the older generation referees (10yrs + or so ago?) wouldn't go chasing players to book them or talk to them. They'd stand their ground and be assertive enough to ask players to come to them. These days, refs are so weak they'll go up to the player and not actually give out the punishment, consistently, to players. It's like they're scared to do things by the book. 

If every other player other than the captain got booked because they approached the ref when they shouldn't have do, there'll soon be a wind of change for the better. At least refs might not feel pressured into making decisions if it was successfully implemented that only captains end up talking to them. 

Good post.  Agree with all that.

• Subscriber

It'd be another like the retrospective diving thing introduced a few years ago. A couple of players would be hit by it and the uproar from it would cause the refs to get back into their shell, and bin it off.

The refs are weak in this country. Give decisions based on the fewest repercussions.

I don't think there's ever going to be a perfect solution. With the wisdom of time I've come to the conclusion it's always going to be imperfect.

1 hour ago, Coma said:

I think it is the rule but football is the only sport in the world (that I've watched) that the referees and officials don't follows the rules to the T and allows for massive interpretation of. There are rules that are openly ignored by players and referees, like the goalie allotted time of holding onto the ball. Sure controversial incidents happen in all sports, that's inevitable but blatant ignorance or open misinterpretation is something else.

52 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think it is the rule but football is the only sport in the world (that I've watched) that the referees and officials don't follows the rules to the T and allows for massive interpretation of. There are rules that are openly ignored by players and referees, like the goalie allotted time of holding onto the ball. Sure controversial incidents happen in all sports, that's inevitable but blatant ignorance or open misinterpretation is something else.

I thought that was the case as well but I've never seen it cited anywhere and I agree it's certainly not enforced if it is.

On 09/02/2024 at 12:12, Stan said:

Have to agree,

Any idea can work if it's implemented correctly but as you say it all turns to shit the second a ref is under pressure as he will more often than not back down and shy away from the tough decisions, Question you have to ask is though is it because all refs are weak?? The odds of all of them being weak are slim so does some of it stem from instructions from above??

You can't have a rule with a ton of grey areas in it because each ref in any given game will always make a different decision, the rule has to be hard and fast and applied evenly in all cases. Kicking or throwing the ball away should be an instant yellow, Keepers holding on to the ball for more than 10 seconds should be an instant yellow, diving or waving imaginary cards should be an instant yellow, anyone surrounding the ref other than the captain should be an instant yellow, giving the ref or linesman verbal abuse should be an instant yellow. Failure to correct the situation or adjust the attitude should lead straight to a red and off for an early bath. 

Sadly like VAR has shown us that even though you can bring something in that should improve the game in the wrong hands it's just a massive waste of everyone's time if it's poorly managed which leads me to another point. We all know some of the VAR decisions just baffle the mind when everyone can see what's wrong except those using the actual technology and there needs to be something in place to hold the game officials to account if they put in poor performances because at the moment bad decisions seem to get swept under the carpet, Like with a Blue card system it can't just be players that are expected to fall in to line because where there is a clear error on the officials part that has not been dealt with properly. It will tend to lead to a "shut up and do as we say, not as we do" scenario which would frustrate the crap out of players.. It has to work both ways

The Blue card rule could work if done correctly but I would make it 15 minutes out to give the opposition a decent advantage or players will be on and off like yo yo's knowing they will be back in 10 minutes and how much time could be added to the game for all of that going on across 90 minutes?? 

• Upvote 1