talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 25 - 17-21st February, 2024

• Subscriber

Holgate has had two loans this season. Southampton lost 5-0 on his debut down there, their fans christened him the worst defender they've seen at their club and he made about 3 further appearances. Everton only agreed to terminate the loan when Sheffield United offered to take it up and pay slightly more of his wages than Southampton were. Sheffield United lost 5-0 on his debut for them too against Villa and in his third start he's managed to get a straight red in the first 20 minutes. Sheffield United now 2-0 down and playing damage limitation.

Some season he's having. At one point he showed the same early flashes of potential as John Stones but his career is looking a right mess now. Everton haven't helped him with a succession of managerial changes during his formative years as a professional and giving him a stupidly big contract that's taken away his incentive to develop himself.

This is what happens when you lose half the team that got you promoted and then sack the manager and replace him with another manager that you sacked previously for getting you relegated from the same league.

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ref has bottled sending Casemiro off. 

Just a foul not a second yellow.  But there should have been two yellows to Luton players surrounding the ref trying to get Casemiro a second yellow.

Edited by Redcanuck

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Just a foul not a second yellow.  But there should have been two yellows to Luton players surrounding the ref trying to get Casemiro a second yellow.

That's a 2nd yellow all day. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

This is what happens when you lose half the team that got you promoted and then sack the manager and replace him with another manager that you sacked previously for getting you relegated from the same league.

Did think the Wilder appointment was a bit bizarre

• Subscriber

Sheffield United and Burnley's points tallies this season need caveating by the fact they're in a league with each other. Two of the worst sides I've seen at this level. I expected it from Sheffield United who weakened themselves over the summer frankly but Burnley have been a disgrace for a side who got over 100 points in the Championship. Very few have done that and tanked like that. Kompany getting away with it big time for me.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Sheffield United and Burnley's points tallies this season need caveating by the fact they're in a league with each other. Two of the worst sides I've seen at this level. I expected it from Sheffield United who weakened themselves over the summer frankly but Burnley have been a disgrace for a side who got over 100 points in the Championship. Very few have done that and tanked like that. Kompany getting away with it big time for me.

He’s still being talked about as the future of football management, despite doing a horrific job this season. Fair play for the 100+ points last season, but the performances this season are a joke. Look at Luton if you want an example of a team having a go of it. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Rick said:

He’s still being talked about as the future of football management, despite doing a horrific job this season. Fair play for the 100+ points last season, but the performances this season are a joke. Look at Luton if you want an example of a team having a go of it. 

Not doubting you or saying you're making it up but who is saying this at this point? He's been probably the worst manager in the division this season. He looks frankly absolutely miles off it.

Anderlecht wasn't a success for him either. So other than taking the best team in the Championship up (albeit very convincingly) he's been a pretty poor manager. Objectively worse than the likes of Gerrard and Lampard.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Not doubting you or saying you're making it up but who is saying this at this point? He's been probably the worst manager in the division this season. He looks frankly absolutely miles off it.

Anderlecht wasn't a success for him either. So other than taking the best team in the Championship up (albeit very convincingly) he's been a pretty poor manager. Objectively worse than the likes of Gerrard and Lampard.

Oh I can’t think of names now, but there is a shit ton of sympathy for him. Actually, I was listening to that ‘the rest is football’ and they were giving him praise for “playing his way” rather than holding him accountable for the failure this season has been. It’s absolutely bizarre.  

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Rick said:

Oh I can’t think of names now, but there is a shit ton of sympathy for him. Actually, I was listening to that ‘the rest is football’ and they were giving him praise for “playing his way” rather than holding him accountable for the failure this season has been. It’s absolutely bizarre.  

Absolutely ridiculous. No team capable of over 100 points in the Championship should be dropping to a point every two games in the Premier League no matter who they are. He has taken them backwards since promotion.

• Subscriber

I can only think that Burnley are relying on Kompany as a good manager of a team that are generally better than their opponents so that he can deliver another strong promotion season next year, then look to ditch him early in 2025-6 when they're back in the top flight and get someone in who can potentially keep them up.

Agree that Burnley should be absolutely embarrassed. Level on points to Sheffield United who sold their two best players in the summer, one of them to Burnley themselves.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Just the physicality of it is Premier League…

Palace starting to find combinations now though

Lot of route one from Everton. Tough for Calvert-Lewin up against 3 big centre backs. 

• Subscriber

Good grief. That's one of those halves that makes you wonder exactly what they've been doing on the training ground for the past 9 days. Two poor teams but Palace have had the better of it because they're playing with more freedom. 

It doesn't take a fancy new German manager to work out that if you come to Goodison, sit off out of possession and take minimal risks with defensive positioning then you'll keep us quiet. Palace can probably take their left back off and put another attacker on because there's probably lads who play Sunday league sat in that stadium who wouldn't be scared of a Godfrey-Young right hand side going forward.

Ideally we'd get Harrison and Onana on for Young and Gueye at half time but Dyche hates substitutions so we'll probably just see the game follow this pattern for another 25 minutes and hopefully Palace don't score by then.

• The topic was unpinned