talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Thanks. It makes all the sense in the world for me to get the 254GB version, but I spent 800 odd pound on an Asus Rog Zephyrus laptop in 2020 that's got plenty of juice left in it so it's just about me battling with my pride now.

Yeah I hear you. Thats the one I bought in the end too. You can buy micro sd cards that work fairly well and you can hot swap them so theres no real issue with storage. On the steamdeck subreddit there's plenty of people that had guides on upgrading the ssd's as well on the 64GB version. It comes out a decent chunk cheaper just upgrading the hd if you like to tinker at all. 

• Subscriber
On 09/04/2023 at 22:59, The Palace Fan said:

Anyone with any gaming knowledge able to advise whether a Steam Deck is worth a purchase?

All the games I play are on Steam now, and most of the time I'm on my laptop is on the train to work. So to have them all on a handheld seems like a dream come true.

Is it worth paying the £350 now or waiting 6+ months to see if the price drops?

I think it all boils down to two things that made it easy for me to choose not to get one in the end.

1. How much mobile gaming do you really need and if you can't get it on a phone then a Steam Deck might be an optimal choice. E.g. playing Doom on the move or some other platformer/FPS because most other games really have some kind of mobile variant

2. How much time do I spend on Steam and how many games do I get with easy accessibility. This is where I made my decision really. A Switch offers me far better mobility games-wise and games are built for it whereas a Steam Deck is more of an add-on. I think this will change over time but for now its a nice handheld for certain game types and that's just not good enough for me to warrant adding it to my console set.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Its downloaded, I just cant be arsed because Tears of the Kingdom is eating up all my gaming time. I will play it over the weekend assuming I get far in the Zelda game first.

Let me know what you think... I am considering dedicating the next weekend to it as well :D Read that it's buggy af, but the story is exquisite. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

It's supposed to be very buggy, think i will wait until they fix it 

Yep I heard the same, apparently they rushed with the release... But I am too tempted by the story haha

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yep I heard the same, apparently they rushed with the release... But I am too tempted by the story haha

Same thing that happened with Redfall, you walk in a room and the Vampires just stand chilling xD glad they delayed Starfield, looking forward to that  ...me too, huge Star Wars nerd as you know  that's why i want to enjoy it in all it's glory instead of launching controllers around the room lol ..it's tempting to watch a play through on youtube though ha

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Same thing that happened with Redfall, you walk in a room and the Vampires just stand chilling xD glad they delayed Starfield, looking forward to that  ...me too, huge Star Wars nerd as you know  that's why i want to enjoy it in all it's glory instead of launching controllers around the room lol ..it's tempting to watch a play through on youtube though ha

I am eagerly anticipating Starfield, too... The level of detail looks absolutely insane! #

And yeah, you've got a point about enjoying the game in all its glory, but I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation haha. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I am eagerly anticipating Starfield, too... The level of detail looks absolutely insane! #

And yeah, you've got a point about enjoying the game in all its glory, but I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation haha. 

It does look crazy good. the fact you can land and explore 1000 planets too ..haha yeah it is very tempting but my will power is strong :P

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

:o 

I can see why they are doing this. I mean Capcom did it to SF and now Netherealm is doing it for MK. I feel they've dropped the ball substantially over the years with their combat system while other companies have expanded the horizon for more balanced gameplay leading to a far better experience in the 1v1 arena of gaming. Still, it will be interesting to see what they put out. I feel like it will be the same engine that they used with MK11 and some cleaner sprites. 

What is also interesting is that there is a new Killer Instinct in the making and it's from Bandai-Namco. Shame Microsoft isn't on-board their version of KI is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best online matchup games of the last decade (top 3 easily). 

• Subscriber

Finished off my new PC build here. Worked on it all day yesterday and hit one snag... Basically had too many fans and needed a USB splitter.. Found out when I went to install the AIO I needed another outlet so I went as far as I could and ordered the little splitter board off Amazon. Set that up and installed widows, updated the bios and got going downloading and installing stuff last night! Will test it out today but all temps seemed stable and everything seemed to work so far.. Knock on wood. My first build in probably close to 15 years. Allot more cables then I remember but I'm pretty happy with the end result. Big thanks to Mel as well for his help and advice on the components and what to do with in the end!

The goods:

Intel 13th Gen I5-13600K

MSI Z690 ddr4 motherboard

Team group ram 64gb total ddr4

Gigabyte RTX4090 OC

Gigabyte 360 water force AIO

Corsair 5000X RGB case

Corsair rme 1000watt PSU

And here's a little video once I got her up and going.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took the plunge on the Steam Deck in the end. Funnily enough @Mel81x's reasons for why he didn't feel the need to buy one swayed me as the games I play don't work on other handheld devices.

For modern games it has been really good. Hogwarts Legacy for example works really well and other games I play have no issues. The only complaints are that it is bulky and the battery life isn't very good.

Obviously I wouldn't purchase thus if I wanted to play games older than 15+ years ago as there's various more cost efficient handhelds that play those games really well.

In typical fashion Asus released a video for there handheld the day after i bought a Steam Deck which is less bulky but can't compete with the Steam Deck on price. So I think I'll get a couple of years out of this.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 04/06/2023 at 07:50, The Palace Fan said:

I took the plunge on the Steam Deck in the end. Funnily enough @Mel81x's reasons for why he didn't feel the need to buy one swayed me as the games I play don't work on other handheld devices.

For modern games it has been really good. Hogwarts Legacy for example works really well and other games I play have no issues. The only complaints are that it is bulky and the battery life isn't very good.

Obviously I wouldn't purchase thus if I wanted to play games older than 15+ years ago as there's various more cost efficient handhelds that play those games really well.

In typical fashion Asus released a video for there handheld the day after i bought a Steam Deck which is less bulky but can't compete with the Steam Deck on price. So I think I'll get a couple of years out of this.

Yeah its an amazing piece of tech tbh. The emulation options to running windows to just using it normally and seamlessly running new games. Its not for everyone but its great for what it is. The main thing, I dont remember If i mentioned or not to you but buy a battery pack if you use it on the train or in transit or anything. And the caveat to that make sure its a 65W charger which allows you to play and charge it at the same time. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

On another note a friend subsidized me in part so I picked up Diablo 4. Only had a chance to play a little bit here so far so I havent gotten any further then the previous open betas but so far so good. The story seems more grim and dark if its possible, quite happy so far. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah its an amazing piece of tech tbh. The emulation options to running windows to just using it normally and seamlessly running new games. Its not for everyone but its great for what it is. The main thing, I dont remember If i mentioned or not to you but buy a battery pack if you use it on the train or in transit or anything. And the caveat to that make sure its a 65W charger which allows you to play and charge it at the same time. 

Yeah I wish I had a battery pack this very second funnily enough 😂.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

On another note a friend subsidized me in part so I picked up Diablo 4. Only had a chance to play a little bit here so far so I havent gotten any further then the previous open betas but so far so good. The story seems more grim and dark if its possible, quite happy so far. 

I'm barely into it, but it's great that it feels more like the 2nd than the 3rd game in terms of how the world is and the aesthetic. But they kept a lot of the streamlining that made the 3rd game feel a lot more modern than the 2nd (which remains one of my favourite games of all time). I'm very pleased with the game so far.

It's great that it has couch coop on console.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm barely into it, but it's great that it feels more like the 2nd than the 3rd game in terms of how the world is and the aesthetic. But they kept a lot of the streamlining that made the 3rd game feel a lot more modern than the 2nd (which remains one of my favourite games of all time). I'm very pleased with the game so far.

It's great that it has couch coop on console.

Agree completely! im still slowly working through D2 remastered :)

Yeah thats a great touch too. Played some coop with one of our other friends that plays on the ps5!