talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League Quarter-Finals - 16-17th April, 2024 (2nd Legs)

'Madrid's back four have done well'

Man City 1-1 Real Madrid (agg: 4-4)

772a0741-412f-4dd8-bd0b-10b741e87013.jpg

Paul Robinson

Former Tottenham and England goalkeeper on BBC Radio 5 Live

Both Antonio Rudiger and Nacho have stood firm before Kevin de Bruyne's goal broke the deadlock - the back four have done so well. 

Hmmm... someone should probably tell Paul Robinson that Kevin de Bruyne's goal did not break the deadlock as they are currently deadlocked and that's why the match has gone to extra time.

• Administrator

Man City knocked out. 

Rudiger broke the deadlock to send Real through. Silva fluffed his penalty and missed the chance to break the deadlock. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rick said:

City are out. Good. Glad those cunts won’t win the treble at least. 

Was in your interests they qualified I'd have though. More games to deal with on top of the title race. 

Just now, Stan said:

Was in your interests they qualified I'd have though. More games to deal with on top of the title race. 

With the squad they have, it wouldn’t have made much difference just like it didn’t last season. They would have beaten Bayern and ended up in another final. I can’t stand seeing that. 

Going out on penalties will hopefully prove to be too traumatic for the rest of Man City's season.

What does the "Top 2 gets 5 champions league places" table look like now anyway? How far ahead are Italy & Germany?

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Going out on penalties will hopefully prove to be too traumatic for the rest of Man City's season.

What does the "Top 2 gets 5 champions league places" table look like now anyway? How far ahead are Italy & Germany?

Depends on tomorrow's results. Still if Liverpool and West Ham go out, especially the latter at the hands of Leverkusen that ship has sailed for the Premier League.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

:27_sunglasses:

Yeah but now you're pulling for Bayern Munich, which is weird and at least a little bit unclean. Meanwhile, I get to laugh at City being unable to buy a second CL title - and the pain of last week has subsided and I've come to terms with the fact our season is likely over unless I get a very nice surprise.

And my reaction to the possibility of there being 1 less English team in the CL next year is: lol, good - fuck 'em.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but now you're pulling for Bayern Munich, which is weird and at least a little bit unclean. Meanwhile, I get to laugh at City being unable to buy a second CL title - and the pain of last week has subsided and I've come to terms with the fact our season is likely over unless I get a very nice surprise.

And my reaction to the possibility of there being 1 less English team in the CL next year is: lol, good - fuck 'em.

Not pulling for Bayern, have to say comparing them to City is very disrespectful, though. Just a reminder City are state-owned, and oil-money doped, still got the glorious total of 1 European cup, as many as German 2nd tier club HSV, while Bayern are member-owned and have 6 CL titles to their name. Or to do compare Tranmere Rovers to Real Madrid, as well?

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Or to do compare Tranmere Rovers to Real Madrid, as well?

Both play in white, but only one of them is a big enough club to be located in Birkenhead and not have historic ties to fascism and match fixing - so Tranmere > Real Madrid.

• Haha 2

Went to the pub to watch the Bayern v Arsenal match and I think that Bayern thoroughly deserved the win. Kimmich was excellent throughout the match and he took his headed goal brilliantly. Goretzka and Leroy Sane also had impressive performances. In the end Bayern Munich won 1-0 at home and they advance to the semi-finals where they will play Real Madrid, while Arsenal are knocked out. So happy to see two Bundesliga clubs in the Champions League semi-finals. It just goes to confirm the strength of the Bundesliga where the Champions League semi-finalists Bayern Munich and Dortmund were no match for Bayer Leverkusen this season.

Final score: Bayern Munich 1-0 Arsenal

Edited by Michael

Real Madrid defeated Man City on penalties at the Etihad. In this battle of two giants, Man City had more chances but Real Madrid were more clinical. Rodrygo gave Real Madrid an early lead but Man City star player Kevin De Bruyne equalised with a clinical finish in the 76th minute. De Bruyne was excellent all night, as he created plenty of chances and he was a constant threat to score as well. Indeed he showed great composure for his equalising goal. Rodri also had a very good game from midfield for Man City and so did Jeremy Doku when he came on as a sub. Doku's pace gave the Real Madrid defenders a lot of headaches as they struggled to keep up with him, he also had a hand in Man City's goal.

For Real Madrid, Andriy Lunin had an excellent match, as he dealt with crosses in a commanding fashion. He also made 2 excellent saves from Grealish shots and he also did superbly to save a De Bruyne pile-driver of a shot. Lunin also went on to save 2 penalties in the penalty shoot-out that Real Madrid would win. Rudiger also had a great game in defence, where he made several crucial blocks and he also ended up scoring the winning penalty in the penalty shoot-out. Bellingham also of course had another high standard performance, his energy and ball control was phenomenal at times. With the match ending in a 1-1 draw and Real Madrid then winning 4-3 on penalties, it is Real Madrid who advance to the semi-finals of the Champions League.

Final score: Man City 1-1 Real Madrid (Real Madrid win 4-3 on penalties)

Edited by Michael

• The topic was unpinned