The better place to talk football.

Tacos or Burritos?

football forum

Tacos or Burritos?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Tacos or Burritos?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Buritto's all the way. Although Vancouver has tried its best to make Taco's gay and trendy I do still enjoy em.

Do they serve them in a metal holder there is that why?

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Genuine question here. Have all the taco lovers ever done the "make your own taco" thing? I'd rather someone made it for me vs me make it myself. 

Yep, didn't work well. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Do they serve them in a metal holder there is that why?

Metal holder yeah but also just the weird ass flavours and fusions and probably most importantly prices. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Genuine question here. Have all the taco lovers ever done the "make your own taco" thing? I'd rather someone made it for me vs me make it myself. 

Yeah I have. They were ok, not the worst tacos I've ever had... but also pretty far from the best tacos I've ever had.

45 minutes ago, Spike said:

But Mexicans do put rice and beans in burritos.

Not in my experience, at least with burritos I've had in Mexico. Granted I've only had them in one city and from 2 different places. The burritos I've had in Mexico were in Tijuana and they were very different to the burritos people would typically picture. They're much thinner and the only filling was meat. Thought it was a bit strange and between tacos in Mexico or the types of burritos I've had in Mexico, tacos win hands down.

In Southern California and Texas, I think rice and beans are just filler to make burritos look fatter, cos gringos love big fat burritos. It's why the California burrito took off, adding chips to the burrito was a low cost way of stuffing a carne asada burrito to look much fatter without actually adding more meat. You go too far north in California and the burritos start looking like absolute monsters but that's because it's 80% rice and beans and barely any of what it's actually supposed to be - these burritos are absolute bullshit. In San Diego if you see a burrito with rice & beans, it's a bullshit burrito and you shouldn't get it.

But Mexico's a big country and culinary styles change from region to region in any country, and Mexico is no exception, so I'm sure some Mexicans do put rice and beans in burritos. But most people worldwide when they're thinking of burritos, they're thinking of Tex-Mex style burritos. And a lot of those do have rice and beans in them. But too much of that and I think it's absolute bullshit just to inflate a burrito and use up less of the more expensive ingredients.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not in my experience, at least with burritos I've had in Mexico. Granted I've only had them in one city and from 2 different places. The burritos I've had in Mexico were in Tijuana and they were very different to the burritos people would typically picture. They're much thinner and the only filling was meat. Thought it was a bit strange and between tacos in Mexico or the types of burritos I've had in Mexico, tacos win hands down.

In Southern California and Texas, I think rice and beans are just filler to make burritos look fatter, cos gringos love big fat burritos. It's why the California burrito took off, adding chips to the burrito was a low cost way of stuffing a carne asada burrito to look much fatter without actually adding more meat. You go too far north in California and the burritos start looking like absolute monsters but that's because it's 80% rice and beans and barely any of what it's actually supposed to be - these burritos are absolute bullshit. In San Diego if you see a burrito with rice & beans, it's a bullshit burrito and you shouldn't get it.

But Mexico's a big country and culinary styles change from region to region in any country, and Mexico is no exception, so I'm sure some Mexicans do put rice and beans in burritos. But most people worldwide when they're thinking of burritos, they're thinking of Tex-Mex style burritos. And a lot of those do have rice and beans in them. But too much of that and I think it's absolute bullshit just to inflate a burrito and use up less of the more expensive ingredients.

Think the tex-mex style of tacos and burritos is really what most people associate with their Mexican counterparts. In college we had folks who wouldn't put rice in a burrito so it was weird when I got one that did but you're right they do put it in there they just don't overload it with rice because that would totally neutralize the flavor of the meat. Their tacos also change from regions and so does their choice in chilli that goes into their tacos as well. got a long lecture from someone about how they use different types for meats because of the way its supposed to affect the flavor and I think for the most part ordering one in most popular places comes with the understanding that its a heat element not a flavor element, the latter being the way you'd get it from most latin people eating or making the dish.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Metal holder yeah but also just the weird ass flavours and fusions and probably most importantly prices. 

Is it very costly out there? It's not so bad over here but we do have a local alternative that looks very similar but doesn't come in an open style, closer to a burrito.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I literally just asked a couple of Mexicans