talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Julen Lopetegui to Be New West Ham Manager

Julen Lopetgui to be announced as next West Ham manager, according to Fabrizio.

If so then 4 out of 20 Premier League managers next season will be from the Basque region. On top of that, all 4 managers will be from the Basque province of Gipuzkoa which has a population bigger than Manchester but smaller than Leeds.

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c88zm0y5jnpo

Julen Lopetegui has agreed a deal to become West Ham manager at the end of the season.

Nothing has been signed yet but the 57-year-old is close to making a return to management following his departure from Wolves in August last year.

Current Hammers boss David Moyes has come under increasing pressure after a poor run of results that has seen his side win one win of their past nine Premier League games and exit the Europa League in the quarter-finals.

West Ham were thrashed 5-0 by Chelsea on Sunday to leave them ninth in the table.

Moyes, who is out of contract in the summer, has repeatedly fended off questions about his future at the club, saying talks will not take place until after their final game at Manchester City on 19 May.

Former Spain and Real Madrid coach Lopetegui has been linked with numerous jobs since and is thought to be keen on returning to the Premier League after guiding Wolves to safety last term, having joined them when they were bottom of the table.

If I was David Moyes I think I'd have walked with this news.

No chance of West Ham improving on 9th now.

There has always been this 'manager for now' vibe, but surely just let whatever caretaker have the last 2 matches. Another club will give Moyes a job. If not for the start of next season, at least when they decide they need proven experience. He's long past this caretaker trialist level West Ham are treating him like.

I think it's about time they replace him and I don't think he's done a bad job either. I think that he has done a great job at stabilising them in the league, and of course winning the Conference League was silverware they have lacked since 1999.

But I also think that as a club, if you leave your ancestral home like Upton Park, where the fans belong, where the fans are on top of the pitch, a ground that has so much history and was one of the truly iconic grounds of English football....to move to what is very much a soulless bowl next to a shopping centre and gentrified canal district, so you can get the 60k attendances and money that comes with it, you have to try and take the club further forward than just 6th, 7th, 14th and 9th place finish.

With West Ham's recent history, if they were still at Upton Park I'd say this is probably unfair and Moyes can't do much more. But I think where they are now, with the finances that brings, they have to improve and they have to try to disrupt the top 6. On top of that, they've suffered a lot of defeats this season where they concede 4 goals, 5 goals in one game. For Moyes' defence to that to simply be that they no longer have Declan Rice, it's not really good enough tbh.

I think Moyes will bounce back quite easily, I think had they not have just signed Glasner he'd have Crystal Palace written all over him. Otherwise Forest could do with him massively. But I think he'll take time out and wait for the right job to pop up, who knows maybe even a return to Everton will be back on the cards?

• Subscriber

I can see why West Ham want to try something else but fuck me, it would genuinely be one of the funniest things ever if they're absolutely shite next season after thinking they can do better than Moyes for a second time xD.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

But I think he'll take time out and wait for the right job to pop up, who knows maybe even a return to Everton will be back on the cards?

There was actually a growing appetite for this as we reached the latter stages of our terrible run from December to March but Dyche has now got credit in the bank after recent results that nobody can deny him at least another season and to take us to the new stadium as long as we aren't on track to take the plunge next season.

The fans were talking a bit about Moyes but given that the owner isn't interested in running the club anymore, the director of football's contract expires this summer and the club don't have the money to pay off another manager and his backroom team, I think it was all academic and that Dyche would still have been managing us next season if we were in the Championship.

• Subscriber

They're doing exactly what we should've done two years ago. Things have gone stale and it probably suits all parties for a parting of ways. He's done well there, a trophy and generally consistently floating around the top half. But it's been pretty uninspired this season, they're like the majority of the league woeful at the back and quite surprising to me they're sat as high as they are. Goal difference is a real red flag.

I think it's possible for him to have both done well but be the right time to move on. Exactly where we were at two years ago with Brendan Rodgers - but we were naive beyond belief and didn't act.

• Subscriber

download.thumb.png.32069f84c694c84e4b0e7e55b47a1125.png

This is what they did last time when he saved them then they gave him the boot, then they hovered around the relegation zone and they asked him to come back which he did and saved them again from relegation.

I would love if it happened again and he said FUCK OFF!!!! xD

Tbh, he did fuck United around when he took over from SAF and got the boot but I would take a chance and have him back at United and replace the lost martian, ET.

3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

download.thumb.png.32069f84c694c84e4b0e7e55b47a1125.png

This is what they did last time when he saved them then they gave him the boot, then they hovered around the relegation zone and they asked him to come back which he did and saved them again from relegation.

I would love if it happened again and he said FUCK OFF!!!! xD

Tbh, he did fuck United around when he took over from SAF and got the boot but I would take a chance and have him back at United and replace the lost martian, ET.

Is it really leaving by mutual consent if it's also when his contract expires? Isn't he simply just not getting a new contract and leaving when his contract is up?

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Isn't he simply just not getting a new contract and leaving when his contract is up?

That, more than likely, they sacked Slaven Bilić as manager and replaced him with Moyes who saved them from relegation then they sacked Moyes or never renewed his contract and replaced him with Manuel Pellegrini who then had them hovering around the relegation zone and they asked Moyes to come back, which he did and saved them from relegation AGAIN.

I thought he was a stupid twat for coming back and he should have told them to fuck off.

2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

That, more than likely, they sacked Slaven Bilić as manager and replaced him with Moyes who saved them from relegation then they sacked Moyes or never renewed his contract and replaced him with Manuel Pellegrini who then had them hovering around the relegation zone and they asked Moyes to come back, which he did.

I thought he was a stupid twat for coming back and he should have told them to fuck off.

I think overall his stock is higher than it was after they sacked him then brought him back tbh. I don't really know what West Ham expected Moyes to deliver if they thought he wasn't delivering enough - their fans act like they're some institution to football because of the world cup in 1966... but they're not exactly a club that's got a long history of success.

Moyes delivered them their first trophy in god knows how long. He's got a win rate of 45.75% - which is higher than every West Ham manager in history, other than Trevor Brooking as caretaker boss (who didn't have a full season). I can understand wanting to "upgrade" and tbf I think Wolves did better than expected under him. And his win rate at most clubs/national setups he's been with is pretty impressive (although he's not got a great record with Real Madrid, but he didn't even have 15 matches with them)... I'm not fully convinced Lopetegui is an "upgrade."

I suppose if you leave at the end of a contract, you are leaving when both parties initially agreed you would. 

Still sounds weird phrasing it as "mutual consent" which I would normally interpret as agreeing a settlement to end the contract early.

• Upvote 1