talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Vincent Kompany Confirmed as New Head Coach at Bayern Munich

• Subscriber

This has been the latest name popping up everywhere, seems to be picking up my steam. I am whelmed, but lets end this fucking fiasco.

Talks between Bayern and Burnley for Vincent Kompany have started. Kompany is keen to join. Verbal agreement in principle is done. Deal is not done yet and could still fall through. More steps to go but Bayern have a strong belief in the potential project with Kompany [

]

https://x.com/iMiaSanMia/status/1793369971286053217

A deal for Vincent Kompany to become Bayern head coach is all but done. Talks have been ongoing between clubs over compensation and are now in the final stages. Deal is set to be finalised in coming days [

]

Mad he's getting a job like that. There's some of our fans underwhelmed by Slot and understandably so after Klopp but imagine we were linked with Kompany or he was close to joiningxD

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Mad he's getting a job like that. There's some of our fans underwhelmed by Slot and understandably so after Klopp but imagine we were linked with Kompany or he was close to joiningxD

I know very little about him as a Manager but I have to say I havent been inspired by anything thats come out about our search at all. This just seems like a thoroughly mediocre appointment. 

• Subscriber

I'm actually at a complete loss at this point in football. It's actually quite bleak how much failing upwards is taking place.

Think Leverkusen will walk it again next season.

• Subscriber

I wonder what the evaluation process was here because it doesn't make sense to me. There were so many better managers with much nicer track records around Europe/Globally and they went for a guy who got his team relegated. The thinking is totally bizarre.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I wonder what the evaluation process was here because it doesn't make sense to me. There were so many better managers with much nicer track records around Europe/Globally and they went for a guy who got his team relegated. The thinking is totally bizarre.

Said it a few times before, here it is again. Speaking German is as required to be a manager in Germany as speaking English is in England. And Kompany does speak German.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Said it a few times before, here it is again. Speaking German is as required to be a manager in Germany as speaking English is in England. And Kompany does speak German.

While that may be a pre-requisite I am sure there were other potential managers who don't have the experience of relegating a side that Bayern could have looked at? I say this not knowing the current market but I'd also imagine they could have pried someone from another club. Just seems a weird appointment considering the season they've had. 

P.S. The evaluation comment had nothing to do with the language requirement but more with the fact that this appointment seems a bit weird considering the current manager's circumstances. 

34 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

While that may be a pre-requisite I am sure there were other potential managers who don't have the experience of relegating a side that Bayern could have looked at? I say this not knowing the current market but I'd also imagine they could have pried someone from another club. Just seems a weird appointment considering the season they've had. 

P.S. The evaluation comment had nothing to do with the language requirement but more with the fact that this appointment seems a bit weird considering the current manager's circumstances. 

Evaluation process make it sound like Kompany was their first choice.😄 In fact he's not even their fifth. You can't be that picky, when at least Alonso, Nagelsmann, Rangnick, and Roger Schmidt already rejected you publicly.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, nudge said:

That might have something to do with the fact that around 32568 managers rejected Bayern in the last two weeks lol

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Evaluation process make it sound like Kompany was their first choice.😄 In fact he's not even their fifth. You can't be that picky, when at least Alonso, Nagelsmann, Rangnick, and Roger Schmidt already rejected you publicly.

I didn't know that many folks had said no to Bayern. Well, it all makes sense now. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I didn't know that many folks had said no to Bayern. Well, it all makes sense now. 

Well, here's a little breakdown for you: First Bayern were speaking about competing with Liverpool for Alonso's signature until Alonso said he'd be staying at Leverkusen for at least 1 more season in a pc. Than they negotiated with Nagelsmann pressuring him publicly to decide quickly, which he did by extending his DFB- contract.Next candidate they spoke about in the public was Sebastian Hoeneß, one or two days later he extended with Stuttgart. Next candidate was Ralf Rangnick with Bayern announcing the negiotiations would be as good as finished, when Ralf Rangnick publicly said he'd stay Austrian NT manager, after a few unfortunate statements of Bayern's honorary president on a media event. Than their were rumours of Bayern being interest in Flick and having good negotiations with him, never heard of again at one point. Next candidate that became public was Roger Schmidt, with the consequence of him saying he felt very well at Benfica and would intended to fulfill his contract at that very day the rumours became public. After that Bayern went for Glasner but were deterred from Crystal Palace's demanded transfer fee, allegedly. In the meantime Bayern were that desperate they even negotiated with Tuchel about him staying with them anyway,despite of Bayern sacking him beforehand, that fell through as well. So Kompany is their 9th choice at best.😆 Them being in such a situation is glorious- long may it continue.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, here's a little breakdown for you: First Bayern were speaking about competing with Liverpool for Alonso's signature until Alonso said he'd be staying at Leverkusen for at least 1 more season in a pc. Than they negotiated with Nagelsmann pressuring him publicly to decide quickly, which he did by extending his DFB- contract.Next candidate they spoke about in the public was Sebastian Hoeneß, one or two days later he extended with Stuttgart. Next candidate was Ralf Rangnick with Bayern announcing the negiotiations would be as good as finished, when Ralf Rangnick publicly said he'd stay Austrian NT manager, after a few unfortunate statements of Bayern's honorary president on a media event. Than their were rumours of Bayern being interest in Flick and having good negotiations with him, never heard of again at one point. Next candidate that became public was Roger Schmidt, with the consequence of him saying he felt very well at Benfica and would intended to fulfill his contract at that very day the rumoursbecame public. After that Bayern went for Glasner but were deterred from Crystal Palace's demanded transfer fee, allegedly. In the meantime Bayern were that desperate they even negotiated with Tuchel about him staying with them anyway,despite of Bayern sacking him beforehand, that fell through as well. So Kompany is their 9th choice at best.😆 Them being in such a situation is glorious- long may it continue.

Thanks for the breakdown. Kompany is literally being looked at because everyone else said no and that's just a byproduct of no one wanting to work with them. Crazy but also quite amusing.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Thanks for the breakdown. Kompany is literally being looked at because everyone else said no and that's just a byproduct of no one wanting to work with them. Crazy but also quite amusing.

Or they think he is very smart due to the size of his head.

• Haha 1

Bayern Munich taking Kompany from this relegated Burnley is absolutely mental.

This season’s Burnley were one of the most useless promoted sides I’ve ever seen come up.

This is genuinely funny.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bayern Munich taking Kompany from this relegated Burnley is absolutely mental.

This season’s Burnley were one of the most useless promoted sides I’ve ever seen come up.

This is genuinely funny.

Wait and see. Allegedly they'only reason didn't sign Glasner because the asking price was too high for their liking, don't would bet on Bayern agreeing to pay the 20M transfer fee Burnley are rumoured to ask for.

17 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wait and see. Allegedly they'only reason didn't sign Glasner because the asking price was too high for their liking, don't would bet on Bayern agreeing to pay the 20M transfer fee Burnley are rumoured to ask for.

They’re honestly better off if they go for Mourinho

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They’re honestly better off if they go for Mourinho

Again: Although I checked English oddschecker, and saw many British person betted on the likes of De Zerbi, Zidane, Mourinho, and others; Bayern signing a non-German speaking manager is about as likely as Jürgen Klopp appearing to a Liverpool fan meeting with an Everton/ Man United half-and-half scarf.

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Again: Although I checked English oddschecker, and saw many British person betted on the likes of De Zerbi, Zidane, Mourinho, and others; Bayern signing a non-German speaking manager is about as likely as Jürgen Klopp appearing to a Liverpool fan meeting with an Everton/ Man United half-and-half scarf.

Did Pep speak German when he joined them?

Honestly if their thinking is Kompany’s willing to take the job and speaks German, they should probably reevaluate their criteria.

Get the best manager for the job, they’re Bayern Munich… they can pay for private language teachers, Rosetta Stone, & translators to make it work.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did Pep speak German when he joined them?

Honestly if their thinking is Kompany’s willing to take the job and speaks German, they should probably reevaluate their criteria.

Get the best manager for the job, they’re Bayern Munich… they can pay for private language teachers, Rosetta Stone, & translators to make it work.

Yep, he did not good still did, though. English native speakers tend to underestimate that point, understandably since they're used to foreign managers speaking their language to some extent anyway. It's not restricted to Germany, though. Never wondered why the percentage of Italian managers is that high in Serie A? Or why there are so many Spanish and Latin American managers in Premiera Division?

• Subscriber

Im glad Ruck laid it out for other people to see how farcical this entire thing has been. Ending with appointing Kompany would just be the perfect way to wrap this saga up nicely. Actually reading this morning because of the Glasner fee we were allegedly willing to pay or negotiate on anyways Burnley is now demanding nearly €20m for Kompany as well so things could stall out yet xD Yet again we set that precedent with paying that amount for Nags which seems like a million years ago at this point.  

I think Kompany's first season at Burnley is a better case to judge him on given he's entering a side that will overwhelm the majority of teams in the division when it comes to quality, but that is still some fall upwards.

I sympathise with Burnley fans a little, they put up a poor fight because of the brand of football Kompany tried to exert. So for him to leave will still feel like a kick to the face even if it is an opportunity he cannot turn down.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, nudge said:

That might have something to do with the fact that around 32568 managers rejected Bayern in the last two weeks lol

In fairness I don't think Kompany would be in my top 50,000 candidates.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

A lot of the tactico nerds on Twitter have convinced me on this move to some extent but I'm also a bit like come on. Kompany came up with a team that dominated the Championship and they even invested over the summer. It's not like he had his hands tied like the Luton manager, and their effort was truly pathetic as well. 24 points. I know he wasn't Bayern's first choice and I get the argument that the style of play will work better with better players but surely you'd want to see some evidence that the guy can find a way to turn around results during a bad run.

Will watch this with interest...

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Dan said:

My scepticism of tacticos on Twitter is too high. Them being in favour just convinces me this is a bad move.

Bayern are running out of options. Honestly, they must be reached the bottom of their priority list, given Kompanyy is a name that popped up after they let everyone interested know they were negotiating with Tuchel about him staying, although it's been themselves who decided to end his reign a year earlier than the original contract was running.